Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Post by Heston »

I never tire of this....

[youtube][/youtube]
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Heston wrote:I never tire of this....
Classic.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

[youtube][/youtube]

There is something about this that just cracks me the hell up.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

I hope it's not just a rare burst of Canadian bias speaking here, but I really do think that SCTV was better than SNL.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I hope it's not just a rare burst of Canadian bias speaking here, but I really do think that SCTV was better than SNL.
I think of them as different animals. They're almost on opposite ends of the spectrum.

SNL was/is about the immediate laugh and a fly by the seat of your pants quality. Very lowest common denominator stuff.

SCTV was about well-crafted, character driven pieces that were completely unafraid to be insular and intelligent. And they were a lot more concerned with parodying the medium of television entertainment than performing to an audience.

I prefer SCTV, as well, though. Because it was smarter, and more consistent.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I think of them as different animals. They're almost on opposite ends of the spectrum.

SNL was/is about the immediate laugh and a fly by the seat of your pants quality. Very lowest common denominator stuff.

SCTV was about well-crafted, character driven pieces that were completely unafraid to be insular and intelligent. And they were a lot more concerned with parodying the medium of television entertainment than performing to an audience.

I agree with your distinctions. I make the comparison because they were sketch comedy that were operating at the same time, yet SCTV didn't get much acknowledgement, save for within the industry (as in, it's no surprise that SNL poached a number of SCTV people).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I agree with your distinctions. I make the comparison because they were sketch comedy that were operating at the same time, yet SCTV didn't get much acknowledgement, save for within the industry (as in, it's no surprise that SNL poached a number of SCTV people).

On a side note, having taken a few classes at Second City here, I can honestly say, they teach you not to even try to be funny, but just work on character and true reactions. I can totally see how that works in SCTV. Very, very little pandering.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:On a side note, having taken a few classes at Second City here, I can honestly say, they teach you not to even try to be funny, but just work on character and true reactions. I can totally see how that works in SCTV. Very, very little pandering.
This is true. They did have a built-in advantage of not shooting before a live audience, which means having to get those reliable laughs at a steady pace or else ruin the overall effect for tv, but, yeah, there isn't a lot of hand-holding and a certain faith that the audience can follow along patiently.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:On a side note, having taken a few classes at Second City here, I can honestly say, they teach you not to even try to be funny, but just work on character and true reactions. I can totally see how that works in SCTV. Very, very little pandering.
No no, Jimmy Fallon cracks up during sketches. That's funny.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Homer: What are you kids laughing at? And if you say Jimmy Fallon, I'll know you're lying!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Homer: What are you kids laughing at? And if you say Jimmy Fallon, I'll know you're lying!
Heh.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

[youtube][/youtube]

PSYCHOVILLE -The dinner party from hell.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

[youtube][/youtube]
Sven Gunderbloom.
Sy Worthenson?

It must have been an absolute joy for his colleagues to watch Martin Short develop as a comedic actor. So fucking good.

radioclashuk
Corner Soul

Post by radioclashuk »

My favourite is the Mitchell and Webb sketch about Nazis. I tried to upload a link but failed so just try searching it.

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

radioclashuk wrote:My favourite is the Mitchell and Webb sketch about Nazis. I tried to upload a link but failed so just try searching it.
This one?

[youtube][/youtube]
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell