Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Post by Flex »

I think there's plenty of evidence on this board that at one time I was a pretty big fan (along with others here), but once there was enough smoke that even I (who pays almost no attention to celebrity news) had heard of the accusations, it was pretty much fait acompli and I don't think I've consumed a second of his stuff since.

I sort of wonder whether he'll ever make a public statement again. He seems like he's crawling back into his hole for the rest of time.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:22pm
I think there's plenty of evidence on this board that at one time I was a pretty big fan (along with others here), but once there was enough smoke that even I (who pays almost no attention to celebrity news) had heard of the accusations, it was pretty much fait acompli and I don't think I've consumed a second of his stuff since.

I sort of wonder whether he'll ever make a public statement again. He seems like he's crawling back into his hole for the rest of time.
Same here. I mean, I used to like Woody Allen movies, too.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:23pm
Flex wrote:

Given the growing number of entertainers being accused/admitting their actions, this is going to be interesting how each person goes forward in treating their work. Is it all irretrievably tainted or is there room for separating art from the artist? Is there a standard in terms of the perpetrator or of the particular work? I confess that I'll still watch Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown because they are so compelling and well made, whatever Polanski's crimes. I have a few Woody Allen films that I like, but I'm not as attached to them and so I can leave them aside. I don't think that picking and choosing rises to the level of hypocrisy, but I admit that it's inconsistent. For actors, is their presence in a film going to be problematic for future viewing, even if, say, they're part of an ensemble or aren't the star? The morality of consumption has gotten a lot more sticky.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:46pm
Wolter wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 5:23pm
Flex wrote:

Given the growing number of entertainers being accused/admitting their actions, this is going to be interesting how each person goes forward in treating their work. Is it all irretrievably tainted or is there room for separating art from the artist? Is there a standard in terms of the perpetrator or of the particular work? I confess that I'll still watch Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown because they are so compelling and well made, whatever Polanski's crimes. I have a few Woody Allen films that I like, but I'm not as attached to them and so I can leave them aside. I don't think that picking and choosing rises to the level of hypocrisy, but I admit that it's inconsistent. For actors, is their presence in a film going to be problematic for future viewing, even if, say, they're part of an ensemble or aren't the star? The morality of consumption has gotten a lot more sticky.
I have a hsrd time separating art from artist. I used to love Woody Allens old movies fuck they were funny but dont know if Id stop to watch Bananas or any of his other old classics if it came on TV. Same goes for Louis CK, I used to love his show but since I got wind of some of this shit I ended it. I just have a hard time divorcing the two things. The one exception I can think of is I still love the Misfits although Glenn is a total dick.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

in part it depends on how intertwined the behavior is with the art. a lot of louis ck and woody allen's material reflects or interacts with their personal behavior, making it hard to divorce from the creator. roman polanski, while i'm sure there's a read on his films through the lense of his personal crimes, seems to have created art that's separate enough from our understanding of the person so as not to infect it as readily.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There's also each individual's line of "acceptable misdeeds" and how historical context gets treated. Plenty of unsettling stuff went on between musicians and underage groupies in the late 60s and early 70s, for example. Even if all parties consented, there were unequal power relations at work, as well as drug consumption that compromised ability to consent. Yet, I think it's also a mistake to ignore how much sexual norms were thrown up in the air in that period, that in the process of positively opening up sexual behaviours certain boundaries were pushed too far. Does that mean not being able to listen to Zep or Zappa or Bowie or anyone else who was notable at that time? I certainly don't wag a finger at people who choose not to think about that stuff when they fire up an old album, but neither is it an easy distinction.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:11pm
There's also each individual's line of "acceptable misdeeds" and how historical context gets treated. Plenty of unsettling stuff went on between musicians and underage groupies in the late 60s and early 70s, for example. Even if all parties consented, there were unequal power relations at work, as well as drug consumption that compromised ability to consent. Yet, I think it's also a mistake to ignore how much sexual norms were thrown up in the air in that period, that in the process of positively opening up sexual behaviours certain boundaries were pushed too far. Does that mean not being able to listen to Zep or Zappa or Bowie or anyone else who was notable at that time? I certainly don't wag a finger at people who choose not to think about that stuff when they fire up an old album, but neither is it an easy distinction.
I suspect a lot more ugly shit went on with musicians than what gets mentioned. Do they get some corny let off because they are more cool? If a young girl fan of say Led Zep is underage and a band member took advantage of her but the girl set out with the intention of bagging a band member where do draw the line there? Looking back with a moral view is easy in hindsight but they were very different times. I'm not suggesting a single minute that this is what I consider acceptable behaviour but if you go see Led Zep back in the 70's with groupies etc then it may have been what was expected. :meh:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I suspect a lot more ugly shit went on with musicians than what gets mentioned. Do they get some corny let off because they are more cool? If a young girl fan of say Led Zep is underage and a band member took advantage of her but the girl set out with the intention of bagging a band member where do draw the line there? Looking back with a moral view is easy in hindsight but they were very different times. I'm not suggesting a single minute that this is what I consider acceptable behaviour but if you go see Led Zep back in the 70's with groupies etc then it may have been what was expected. :meh:
Precisely. It's tough because we do need to appreciate that the Western nations were in the midst of a sexual revolution that, while opening up sexual behaviour between the unmarried and homosexuals—that is, removing stigmas—it also experimented with sex with minors. Chastising individual conduct is tough when they are operating in that kind of environment. Yet that doesn't mean we can't pass moral judgment. This is a question and context I've used with my students to suggest that historians shouldn't detached but that we are allowed to pass judgment, but we are expected to appreciate the context to temper those considerations.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 6:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Precisely. It's tough because we do need to appreciate that the Western nations were in the midst of a sexual revolution that, while opening up sexual behaviour between the unmarried and homosexuals—that is, removing stigmas—it also experimented with sex with minors. Chastising individual conduct is tough when they are operating in that kind of environment. Yet that doesn't mean we can't pass moral judgment. This is a question and context I've used with my students to suggest that historians shouldn't detached but that we are allowed to pass judgment, but we are expected to appreciate the context to temper those considerations.
This indeed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

As regards Woody Allen specifically, the more serious allegations levelled against him by members of the Farrow family remain unproven and vehemently disputed, right? I did watch Manhattan not so long ago and found it a bit creepy, but otherwise I'm not convinced he's the unrestrained monster some folk have painted him out to be. I can't help but love his films and some of his recent offerings are up there with the great movies of the 80s and 90s.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 9:39pm
As regards Woody Allen specifically, the more serious allegations levelled against him by members of the Farrow family remain unproven and vehemently disputed, right? I did watch Manhattan not so long ago and found it a bit creepy, but otherwise I'm not convinced he's the unrestrained monster some folk have painted him out to be. I can't help but love his films and some of his recent offerings are up there with the great movies of the 80s and 90s.
Sorry but whilst it may not have been illegal, having a relationship with your partner’s daughter 40 years your junior and for whom you are / were, a guardian is wrong on so many levels.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've just started watching Parks and Recreation for the first time, unaware that CK was a recurring castmember, and have been able to throw a mental protective bubble around his appearances. It's easier because the cop he's playing is so divorced from his masturbating stage persona or true self. I watched his whole FX series aware of the allegations and there were uncomfortable moments. It's interesting how dated that show already feels.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 4:43am
I've just started watching Parks and Recreation for the first time, unaware that CK was a recurring castmember, and have been able to throw a mental protective bubble around his appearances. It's easier because the cop he's playing is so divorced from his masturbating stage persona or true self. I watched his whole FX series aware of the allegations and there were uncomfortable moments. It's interesting how dated that show already feels.
Which CK?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 5:30am
Silent Majority wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 4:43am
Which CK?
Calvin Klein.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 10:15pm
Low Down Low wrote:
09 Nov 2017, 9:39pm
Sorry but whilst it may not have been illegal, having a relationship with your partner’s daughter 40 years your junior and for whom you are / were, a guardian is wrong on so many levels.
I dont believe Allen was ever her guardian or even had much contact with her before the relationship started. But dont get me wrong, i wouldnt be advocating him for a gallantry award or anything like that, on a personal level there is much i'd find creepy and disturbing about it, but at the same time, I don't think it makes him into the monster he's sometime portrayed as or that it should negate his art in any way. Just my two cents really.