Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Post by Dr. Medulla »

[youtube][/youtube]
Fuck the bank!

[youtube][/youtube]
Those guys are always troublemaking.

[youtube][/youtube]
A skeleton of a coyote.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Post by Dr. Medulla »

http://www.avclub.com/articles/compilation,13033/

Watch Rick Moranis' perfect David Brinkley.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:http://www.avclub.com/articles/compilation,13033/

Watch Rick Moranis' perfect David Brinkley.
Is it the one where he complains about not being able to get good pot anymore?

EDIT: I should just click on the link before asking.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I should add that the last couple days, I've been doing Mark McKinney's cab driver character and prefacing any racist statements with: "Look, I'm not prejudiced, but I read. And where I come from, some people make trouble."

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I should add that the last couple days, I've been doing Mark McKinney's cab driver character and prefacing any racist statements with: "Look, I'm not prejudiced, but I read. And where I come from, some people make trouble."
I drop his "monkey come" line at least once a month into casual conversation.

One thing, touched upon in the article, that I love about SCTV: they didn't pander to the audience. They pandered to their own tastes. If you had told me how much I would laugh at "What's Your Shoe Size" by just describing the sketch, I would think you were insane.

Related note: Eugene Levy's 1950s host voice is pitch perfect. You never hear anyone talk like that anymore.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:One thing, touched upon in the article, that I love about SCTV: they didn't pander to the audience. They pandered to their own tastes. If you had told me how much I would laugh at "What's Your Shoe Size" by just describing the sketch, I would think you were insane.

Related note: Eugene Levy's 1950s host voice is pitch perfect. You never hear anyone talk like that anymore.
We upgraded our tv package last month so I get an episode of SCTV every day. And you're right—they were totally into making themselves laugh. For the most part they were never "edgy," but they were so goddamn good at writing just plain funny sketches. The parodies end up dating them, but for the most part the humour stands up really well.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I think having the faith that an audience is smart enough to follow you away from easy comedy towards things they've never realized could be funny is what separates the genius from the mundane.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:I think having the faith that an audience is smart enough to follow you away from easy comedy towards things they've never realized could be funny is what separates the genius from the mundane.
Which calls to mind Mitchell Hurwitz's comment about killing your show by not including a laugh track—they won't know what the funny bits are without it! That canned laughter is one thing I hate about the first couple seasons of MASH. Dynamite comedy, but the Laughtronic 9000 is death by a thousand cuts.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

An oldie but makes me laugh every time

[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching SCTV this morning and this bit of genius came up:
[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Fuck but I love Marty Short.
[youtube][/youtube]

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

[quote="Dr. Medulla"]Fuck but I love Marty Short.

On weekend mornings my kid gets me out of bed early I crash on the couch while he watches some PBS. Inevitably I have nightmares of some sort while this is blaring in the background.

[youtube][/youtube]

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I just got reminded of this one this morning and got a hearty belly laugh:

[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:I just got reminded of this one this morning and got a hearty belly laugh:

[youtube][/youtube]
A good example of Kevin McDonald's great comedic voice. That high-strung exasperation kills me every time.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

[youtube][/youtube]

Brilliant, especially if you've seen the earlier sketches with the same character.