Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Funny sketch comedy that's funny

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inspired by the AV Club revisiting Strangers With Candy, I've been watching the series again. I rarely think to include it in any all-time great comedies, but when watching it I can barely think of anything better. 99% of every scene is inappropriate and bizarro, but it all makes sense.

I really need to work "Talk your monkey ass off" into regular conversation …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

[youtube][/youtube]
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The most accurate depiction of Lincoln ever filmed.
[youtube][/youtube]

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Dr. Medulla wrote:The most accurate depiction of Lincoln ever filmed.
[youtube][/youtube]
Tom Kenny is awesome.

Mr. Show had some of the best Lincolns. This is my favorite:

[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

modskin wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:The most accurate depiction of Lincoln ever filmed.
[youtube][/youtube]
Tom Kenny is awesome.

Mr. Show had some of the best Lincolns. This is my favorite:

[youtube][/youtube]
Brilliant.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching the episode of Seinfeld that is set prominently on the subway. Elaine's voiceover, rising with panic during the stoppage, is just superbly done, in no small part because of her facial expressions throughout. Seinfeld gets tagged with being overrated, but it really was an exceptional sitcom.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Some Mr. Show Halloween-y goodness:
[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Nice write-up on an excellent Mr. Show sketch: http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-sketch ... e-l,91613/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Nice write-up on an excellent Mr. Show sketch: http://www.avclub.com/articles/a-sketch ... e-l,91613/
That's one of my all-time favorites.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A piece on the greatness of SCTV: http://www.avclub.com/articles/10-episo ... ats,91753/

One of the mentioned episodes, where SCTV replaces its programming with the CBC, is one I especially love, tho perhaps one has to be Canadian to really appreciate it.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't think I will ever NOT find The Man Who Would Be King of the Popes funny.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I can't remember ever seeing that one—I must have—but Dave Thomas's Richard Harris is endlessly amusing. Especially this one:
[youtube][/youtube]

esteemantis
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by esteemantis »

Dr. Medulla wrote:A piece on the greatness of SCTV: http://www.avclub.com/articles/10-episo ... ats,91753/

One of the mentioned episodes, where SCTV replaces its programming with the CBC, is one I especially love, tho perhaps one has to be Canadian to really appreciate it.
it just so happens I'm listening to Rush right now. Thanks for the link
watched loads of SCTV when comedy central played it in the 90's.
Conan: Did you like the Clash?
John: No. Isn't that good enough? No, no, no.
Conan: Oh Come on, elaborate. Why, did you guys think you were trying to do different things?
John: Well, their kind of songwriting really was just a few quotes from Karl Marx around a merry little melody.
Conan: With a driving back beat that just wouldn't quit!

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I knew a guy who wrote for SCTV and he's one of about 4 respectable people I ever met in that fucking town.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

101Walterton
The Best

Brent's Back

Post by 101Walterton »

[youtube][/youtube]