The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Simpsons

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Season 9... :twitch:
I've been sampling episodes from that season the last few days. Time has softened my heart. It's a solid B season.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Anything from The Blessed Decade is, by default, amazing.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Season 9... :twitch:
I've been sampling episodes from that season the last few days. Time has softened my heart. It's a solid B season.
I'll give it a C+, B-. But it's a very clear signifier of the downfall.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More S9:
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:More S9:
People really got up in arms about this episode, but it never bugged me that much.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
People really got up in arms about this episode, but it never bugged me that much.
I remember the frothing at the time but didn't get it. It's a silly story and makes some hay from an absurd premise. If you want continuity, go elsewhere.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Fans Outraged After Teen Choice Awards Fails To Acknowledge Slain Singer Christina Grimmie
...or "Grimey" as she liked to be called....

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I remember the frothing at the time but didn't get it. It's a silly story and makes some hay from an absurd premise. If you want continuity, go elsewhere.
I guess people were upset that Skinner had been established the way that he was for so long, even talking to himself about 'Nam (meaning there'd be no reason to lie). Simpsons fans love irreverence about everything except the show itself.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I guess people were upset that Skinner had been established the way that he was for so long, even talking to himself about 'Nam (meaning there'd be no reason to lie). Simpsons fans love irreverence about everything except the show itself.
Didn't that episode end with "...and let's never mention it again."?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yes, exactly. It was a not-so-sly dig at stuff like that that happens in comics. Or on Dallas.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yes, exactly. It was a not-so-sly dig at stuff like that that happens in comics. Or on Dallas.
This was pretty common on TV shows at one point. Tep won't remember but there was one big one in MASH. Hawkeye in early episodes speaks of his mother as if she is alive and later in the show she supposedly died while he was a kid or something. Happy Days had the older brother who just disappeared. As a kid watching various shows I wad annoyed by this. It seemed like just lazy writing. I know there's a lot more examples I just don't recall them. In the end though all nothing to get too upset over.
Last edited by revbob on 01 Aug 2016, 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

DP

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I remember the frothing at the time but didn't get it. It's a silly story and makes some hay from an absurd premise. If you want continuity, go elsewhere.
This was pretty common on TV shows at one point. Te0 won't remember but there was one big one in MASH. Hawkeye in early episodes speaks of his mother as if she is alive and later in the show she supposedly died while he was a kid or something. Happy Days had the older brother who just disappeared. As a kid watching various shows I wad annoyed by this. It seemed like just lazy writing. I know there's a lot more examples I just don't recall them. In the end though all nothing to get too upset over.
Horror movies that end up having multiple sequels, the timeline gets fucked up the longer they go.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:Happy Days had the older brother who just disappeared. As a kid watching various shows I wad annoyed by this. It seemed like just lazy writing. I know there's a lot more examples I just don't recall them. In the end though all nothing to get too upset over.
Chuck Cunningham! So remarkable was his eradication from history that the interior of the Cunningham house also reversed itself.

Not quite the same thing, but I recall a Very Special episode of Family Ties where Marty McFly's bestest friend of all time—so special he'd never been referred to at that point—died in a car accident (drunk driving, perhaps), which led to an exploration of Marty's grief (and absence of a special DeLorean to change history).

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »