The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Simpsons

Post by matedog »

Milhouse crawling out of Fort Adventure - "It smells funny in there."
Homer - "No it doesn't."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

What are you kids laughing at? And if you say Jimmy Fallon, I'll know you're lying!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The pissy and defensive commentary on The Principal and The Pauper was worth the price of the admission, with the writer essentially calling the fans idiots who fear change for twenty minutes.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Database: On the "Itchy & Scratchy" CD-ROM, is there a way to get out of the dungeon without using the wizard key?
Homer: What the hell are you talking about?

I love the contempt in Homer's voice in that exchange.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Finished my set of season nine, commentaries and all.

One interesting thing that came out the commentaries was the observation of how much Lyle Lanley

shared in personality with Conan O'Brien.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Silent Majority wrote:Finished my set of season nine, commentaries and all.
Did you listen to the secret commentary on lisa the simpson? It isnt essential but i liked hearing parting words from Oakley and Weinstein. Despite the princepal and the pauper they are still my favorite showrunners.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Bankrobber wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Finished my set of season nine, commentaries and all.
Did you listen to the secret commentary on lisa the simpson? It isnt essential but i liked hearing parting words from Oakley and Weinstein. Despite the princepal and the pauper they are still my favorite showrunners.
No, I'll go and check it out. Thanks for letting me know about it.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:One interesting thing that came out the commentaries was the observation of how much Lyle Lanley

shared in personality with Conan O'Brien.
Because of this post, I rewatched Marge v Monorail with the commentary. I was slightly disappointed with commentary in that they pretty much just talked about how funny Conan is. Still, commentaries are fun to watch because if you are alone, it's like watching the episode with someone that is as obsessive as you are. Watching The State commentaries made it much more enjoyable.

Oh and I came to the obvious conclusion (one I've probably already come to in the past) that Marge vs. Monorail is probably the best episode they ever did. There might be four or five other episodes that get this appellation as well. The episode has the following:
1. Great intro/Flintstones parody
2. Great guest star - Leonard Nimoy ("The cosmic ballet goes on.")
3. Phil Hartman's greatest performance
4. Top notch musical number
Just everything about the episode is top notch. From Lyle Lanley's sketches to every Homerism ("I call the big one 'Bitey,'" "Does whiskey count?"). Oh and one thing I never noticed that I learned from the commentary is that during the musical number, they asked musical director Alf Clausen to approximate Lyle Lanley's chord pounding on the piano based on the animation which resulted in a pretty off kilter chord progression if you listen closely.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:Oh and I came to the obvious conclusion (one I've probably already come to in the past) that Marge vs. Monorail is probably the best episode they ever did. There might be four or five other episodes that get this appellation as well.
Definitely in consideration for best. Top ten for sure. To this day, whenever I see Nimoy without the Spock outfit on, I think, "Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?" In Quimby's voice, of course.

Also: "Heh heh. Mule."

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Still, commentaries are fun to watch because if you are alone, it's like watching the episode with someone that is as obsessive as you are. Watching The State commentaries made it much more enjoyable.
The best commentaries ever are the Futurama ones. Everyone seems to really like each other, enjoy each other's company, and love the product. And half the time they're totally just shooting the shit.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:Still, commentaries are fun to watch because if you are alone, it's like watching the episode with someone that is as obsessive as you are. Watching The State commentaries made it much more enjoyable.
The best commentaries ever are the Futurama ones. Everyone seems to really like each other, enjoy each other's company, and love the product. And half the time they're totally just shooting the shit.
The Mr. Show commentaries are decent for much the same reason. If they actually talk about the skit going on, it's mostly about the things that don't work, or to point out friends in the audience. Otherwise it's a lot of riffing and fucking around.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
Yeah, the Futurama commentaries rule. I love 'em because they're having a really good time and they still relate interesting stuff about the episode. Usually it's hard to find commentaries that do both.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I personally love the Newsradio commentaries because none of those guys really had legitimate careers after the show ended and they all sound like they've gone to some AA meetings together. All of them.

This leads to some hilarious commentaries, but they're hilarious in the way that burnouts that just can't give a shit are hilarious.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Billy Joel wrote:I personally love the Newsradio commentaries because none of those guys really had legitimate careers after the show ended and they all sound like they've gone to some AA meetings together. All of them.

This leads to some hilarious commentaries, but they're hilarious in the way that burnouts that just can't give a shit are hilarious.
As I recall, the Newsradio discs were going to be released without any kinds of frills, including commentaries, and the cast made a specific request to get together and record their observations.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:I personally love the Newsradio commentaries because none of those guys really had legitimate careers after the show ended and they all sound like they've gone to some AA meetings together. All of them.

As I recall, the Newsradio discs were going to be released without any kinds of frills, including commentaries, and the cast made a specific request to get together and record their observations.
Well, they needed something to do.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc