The Simpsons

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Simpsons

Post by matedog »

I like the episode where Elizabeth Montgomery flaunted her giant 70's areolas and danced with wedding apes to the superior New Order tunes. Jimmy Carter.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:I like the episode where Elizabeth Montgomery flaunted her giant 70's areolas and danced with wedding apes to the superior New Order tunes. Jimmy Carter.
Black hair.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:I like the episode where Elizabeth Montgomery flaunted her giant 70's areolas and danced with wedding apes to the superior New Order tunes. Jimmy Carter.
I might be back on the bandwagon.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:Season 4, particularly when the Germans take over the plant.
Seasons 4-8 are what I rate as the peak.

I don't know if I'd start with a classic episode. A lot of the reasons why they are so funny is familiarity with the characters. Little things like how awful Moe is as a person and that one time he tried to kill himself by sticking his head in an oven and had a piece of paper on his back that read "no funeral." Or anything related Lionel Hutz. I'm thinking season 4 is a good starting point because it's still early but also in the classic period. Not sure what a good starter episode would be though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Best Hoy post ever*

*Grading on a curve.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

matedog wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:Season 4, particularly when the Germans take over the plant.
Absolutely agree, but seasons 2 and 3 have some really great episodes.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Absolutely agree, but seasons 2 and 3 have some really great episodes.
Yeah, 4-8 (I don't know why I cut it off at 6 earlier) are the grade A stuff. But there are stone cold classics in 2 and 3.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

The Way We Was may be a good starter, actually. That's one of my early favourites.

Last edited by Silent Majority on 01 Oct 2010, 4:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

what was the shark? Phil Hartman's death?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:what was the shark? Phil Hartman's death?
There was no pure shark. It was around that time, though.

A lot of reasons contributed, and the decline was gradual. There were still very good episodes for the next few years.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I think that's Doc's theory.

I found half of season 9 to be as good as 4-8. To me that is the very very clear transition season. 10 is alright but noticeably worse than 4-8. I bought season 3 but was surprised by the lack of out loud laughing I did in nearly every episode.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

When Smithers goes on vacation and homer is Burns' assistant is a good one.

Burns knowing Homers name may be shark too.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

matedog wrote:

I found half of season 9 to be as good as 4-8. To me that is the very very clear transition season.
I totally agree with you here too. However, I think season ten is, perhaps two episodes aside, irredeemable.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:

I found half of season 9 to be as good as 4-8. To me that is the very very clear transition season. 10 is alright but noticeably worse than 4-8. I bought season 3 but was surprised by the lack of out loud laughing I did in nearly every episode.
I don't see Hartman's as the cause of the show's decline, but if you have to pick a moment when things went noticeably downhill, it was there. Still, seven seasons or so of genius is remarkable, even with this black hole of awfulness that's followed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I think the show would have held together a lot longer if Phil Hartman didn't die. It would have still gone downhill, but losing him was a huge loss for the dynamic of the show. It's mostly coincidence that it started to suck when he died, but it hurt.

The loss of hand-drawn animation kind of killed the aesthetic too. Same thing happened to King of the Hill. It got too clean and artificial looking and it made sight gags and visuals much more boring.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.