Today I learned …

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Today I learned …

Post by Marky Dread » 24 Feb 2019, 7:00am

101Walterton wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:41pm
Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:54pm
Olaf wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:49pm
Must've played hooky on that day.
Fine, have a nut.
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.
Palangi
White Scum?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf » 24 Feb 2019, 5:03pm

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 7:00am
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 4:54pm

Fine, have a nut.
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.
Palangi
White Scum?
White Yum.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 24 Feb 2019, 9:22pm

Olaf wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 5:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 7:00am
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Olaf wrote:
None left.
Fine, have one of mine.
Palangi
White Scum?
White Yum.
Can’t it be both?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater » 29 Jul 2019, 8:39pm

Today I learned about the Canadian Indian residential school system. It was pretty shitty and went on until 1996! I'm staying in Toronto and the First Nations people had an event all weekend in honor of the people who survived this. It was damn solemn.
Responsible for separating Indigenous children from their families and communities, this process was found by the TRC to be cultural genocide, a conclusion that echoed the words of historian John S. Milloy, who argued that the system's aim was to "kill the Indian in the child". As the system was designed as an immersion program, Indigenous children were in many schools prohibited from, and sometimes punished for, speaking their own languages or practicing their own faiths. The primary stated goal was to convert Indigenous children to Christianity and to civilize them.
Super! People are pretty disgraceful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 29 Jul 2019, 9:21pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 8:39pm
Today I learned about the Canadian Indian residential school system. It was pretty shitty and went on until 1996! I'm staying in Toronto and the First Nations people had an event all weekend in honor of the people who survived this. It was damn solemn.
Responsible for separating Indigenous children from their families and communities, this process was found by the TRC to be cultural genocide, a conclusion that echoed the words of historian John S. Milloy, who argued that the system's aim was to "kill the Indian in the child". As the system was designed as an immersion program, Indigenous children were in many schools prohibited from, and sometimes punished for, speaking their own languages or practicing their own faiths. The primary stated goal was to convert Indigenous children to Christianity and to civilize them.
And yet you still have people—predominantly on the right—who say it wasn't that bad and/or the price of “civilizing the savages.” The US, however, had the same idea with boarding schools (the Boss says they were the inspiration for the residential school here). But it's proof of the essential white supremacist foundation of this country … which is why it's denied by the most committed racists.
And that's when Lincoln said, "Don't diss my homies.”

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob » 29 Jul 2019, 10:52pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 9:21pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
And yet you still have people—predominantly on the right—who say it wasn't that bad and/or the price of “civilizing the savages.” The US, however, had the same idea with boarding schools (the Boss says they were the inspiration for the residential school here). But it's proof of the essential white supremacist foundation of this country … which is why it's denied by the most committed racists.
Yeah the English did the same in Australia too.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi » 30 Jul 2019, 7:57am

BostonBeaneater wrote:
We had them here in the US, too. The Carlisle school is probably the most infamous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_ ... ial_School

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Jul 2019, 8:09am

Mimi wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 7:57am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
We had them here in the US, too. The Carlisle school is probably the most infamous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_ ... ial_School
That was the one that largely inspired Canada's res school program. As many people have observed before, it's amazing that indigenous and black people just want fair treatment today, not to murder every damned white person as payment for past crimes.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi » 30 Jul 2019, 8:14am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:09am
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
That was the one that largely inspired Canada's res school program. As many people have observed before, it's amazing that indigenous and black people just want fair treatment today, not to murder every damned white person as payment for past crimes.
Fair treatment, honor the treaties...or just leave.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Jul 2019, 8:43am

Mimi wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Treaties signed out of desperation and were massively advantageous to the colonial powers, yet they still couldn't live up to their end of the deal. Okay, you can live here rent-free but all I ask is that you water the plants once a week and put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Fuck you, you can take me to court if you think I'm going to have to water your fucking plants.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton » 30 Jul 2019, 4:32pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:43am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Treaties signed out of desperation and were massively advantageous to the colonial powers, yet they still couldn't live up to their end of the deal. Okay, you can live here rent-free but all I ask is that you water the plants once a week and put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Fuck you, you can take me to court if you think I'm going to have to water your fucking plants.
The other issues with treaties (as is the case with the Waitangi Treaty in NZ) is the interpretation / translation of the 2 languages which necessarily mean the same things.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 30 Jul 2019, 5:03pm

101Walterton wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 8:43am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

The other issues with treaties (as is the case with the Waitangi Treaty in NZ) is the interpretation / translation of the 2 languages which necessarily mean the same things.
And, at least until recently, the courts' habit of rejecting the indigenous signees' interpretation of what the treaties meant.

JennyB
Clash Cuck

Post by JennyB » 08 Aug 2019, 11:19am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 9:21pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Jesus.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid » 12 Aug 2019, 7:58am

I always knew that Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys took guitar lessons as a kid from another neighborhood kid named John Maus...but just today I made the connection that John Maus was John Walker. He took "Walker" as his stage name because he was tired of people mispronouncing his last name - making him the "original" Walker Brother.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 16 Aug 2019, 12:58pm

… in 1982 G. Gordon Liddy and Timothy Leary went on a speaking tour together. The target audience for that would be … mixed.