Today I learned …

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Today I learned …

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:… the Women's Christian Temperance Union still exists and is headquartered in Evanston, in the shadow of Castle Wolter.
Evanston? That's surprising. That seems like more of a Wheaton sort of thing.

Funny how the face of temperance makes me want a stiff drink.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:… the Women's Christian Temperance Union still exists and is headquartered in Evanston, in the shadow of Castle Wolter.
Evanston? That's surprising. That seems like more of a Wheaton sort of thing.
Since 1910 no less.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I wonder how often they order deep dish.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
IMCT DEEP CUT!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Does Pizza Hut deliver?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
IMCT DEEP CUT!
:cool:

Glad that wasn't missed.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

… The Fixx still exist, releasing albums and touring and everything. I don't know why I continue to be amazed by the continued existence of so many mediocre 80s pop acts, and yet whenever I see a reference to these groups that is present tense, I'm taken aback.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:… The Fixx still exist, releasing albums and touring and everything. I don't know why I continue to be amazed by the continued existence of so many mediocre 80s pop acts, and yet whenever I see a reference to these groups that is present tense, I'm taken aback.
Hop in the car and take a ride to Hamilton tomorrow and you, yes you, can see the Alarm.
http://www.thealarm.com/archives/24887

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:… The Fixx still exist, releasing albums and touring and everything. I don't know why I continue to be amazed by the continued existence of so many mediocre 80s pop acts, and yet whenever I see a reference to these groups that is present tense, I'm taken aback.
Hop in the car and take a ride to Hamilton tomorrow and you, yes you, can see the Alarm.
The notion that rock music is about youth has been fully debunked.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I saw them live a couple years ago. I was brought along by my friend's parents and was as bored as I thought I'd be.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
The notion that rock music is about youth has been fully debunked.
Mike Peters of the Alarm is in a supergroup with Capt. Sensible, Slim Jim Phantom, and Chris Cheney. Pretty good show of all covers from each member's bands.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
I saw them live a couple years ago. I was brought along by my friend's parents and was as bored as I thought I'd be.
Maybe around 2005, some car company used their song "Saved By Zero" in an ad campaign. I couldn't help but think some clueless Xer thought it up. "Yeah, I remember this great tune from the 80s. We should totally use it to hype zero percent interest [or something like that]." Except for it being a mediocre song and nobody really remembering it, it was a great idea.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Maybe around 2005, some car company used their song "Saved By Zero" in an ad campaign. I couldn't help but think some clueless Xer thought it up. "Yeah, I remember this great tune from the 80s. We should totally use it to hype zero percent interest [or something like that]." Except for it being a mediocre song and nobody really remembering it, it was a great idea.
They just liked it because the band name has two X'es in it. "It's double GenX!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
They just liked it because the band name has two X'es in it. "It's double GenX!"
Sadly, there might be some truth to that.

BostonBeaneater

I met RevBob for beers tonight. I learned that Vermont is a real state in the Union with Senators and everything. Good times.