The Mighty America's Finest News Source Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

The Mighty America's Finest News Source Thread

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/smart- ... g-a,17954/

Fuck, The Onion's so awesome I think it finally deserves its own thread to lord upon.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty America's Finest News Source Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in '96, when B and I were in NC, my folks came down to visit. We drove up to Virginia to see … something to do with Woodrow Wilson … and were listening to the news on the radio. There was a story about SC looking to buy other states' nuclear waste and sink it in the swamp. B, my mother, and I expressed various shades of horror, but my dad confidently said, "There are minds greater than ours working on these problems." He didn't enjoy my response that it was those same great minds that created those problems. But he was from a generation where experts and smart people solved problems (and didn't acknowledge the problems they caused).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

This is my all time favorite, also a classic: http://www.theonion.com/articles/clinto ... -iraq,645/
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:This is my all time favorite, also a classic: http://www.theonion.com/articles/clinto ... -iraq,645/
I am such a bad person because I can't help but laugh at retard(ed) jokes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

It's weird because a friend of mine works there and I had the chance to, but most of the lower-ranking people who work there, like, write the video tickers or news in brief, have to submit 20, 40 ideas a week with minimal recycling, and there are a lot of rules about how to do shit. The atmosphere is shockingly corporate and not fun at all. Dude quit a job because the Onion ate up too much of his time each week. And for the year he's worked there, he's gotten a grand total of zero things on the front page. A lot of the ideas are for long-term in-development TV and web projects.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Billy Joel wrote:It's weird because a friend of mine works there and I had the chance to, but most of the lower-ranking people who work there, like, write the video tickers or news in brief, have to submit 20, 40 ideas a week with minimal recycling, and there are a lot of rules about how to do shit. The atmosphere is shockingly corporate and not fun at all. Dude quit a job because the Onion ate up too much of his time each week. And for the year he's worked there, he's gotten a grand total of zero things on the front page. A lot of the ideas are for long-term in-development TV and web projects.
That doesn't surprise me at all.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:This is my all time favorite, also a classic: http://www.theonion.com/articles/clinto ... -iraq,645/
I see that article much more as an indictment of people who go overboard to praise people solely for their developmental disabilities. Or so I keep telling myself. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Billy Joel wrote:It's weird because a friend of mine works there and I had the chance to, but most of the lower-ranking people who work there, like, write the video tickers or news in brief, have to submit 20, 40 ideas a week with minimal recycling, and there are a lot of rules about how to do shit. The atmosphere is shockingly corporate and not fun at all. Dude quit a job because the Onion ate up too much of his time each week. And for the year he's worked there, he's gotten a grand total of zero things on the front page. A lot of the ideas are for long-term in-development TV and web projects.
That doesn't surprise me at all.
To be fair, high quality comedy, especially satire, isn't easy, so having a demanding structure around it probably is necessary. Writing has to be treated as a job; if you're just waiting for inspiration, you're going to spend a lot of time jerking off.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I see that article much more as an indictment of people who go overboard to praise people solely for their developmental disabilities. Or so I keep telling myself. :shifty:
Whatever. Don Tardos are just funny.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Oh definitely. The joke is on the overtly sensitive and reassuring types who make huge displays of everything. And yet, those goofy bastards are about the best thing I've got going.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Could go in the MLB thread, but I'll give this one a bump.
16,000 Diamondbacks Fans Killed On Complimentary Rattlesnake Night

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak