movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:44pm
JennyB wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:34pm
Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 2:12pm
I want to like Dune, but I've tried to read the book and tried to watch the first movie, but wound up tuning out after a while on both of them. I'm not sure what I'm missing because it seems like something I should be into. The more I thought about it the only thing I could come up with was that I was expecting sci-fi and got fantasy instead—may be worth trying again with that lens.

After reading Judd Apatow's Sick in the Head (a really inspiring and thoughtful book on the nature of creativity, perseverance in the face of failure, and pure dumb luck) and reading about his reverence for James L. Brooks, I recently watched Broadcast News and Terms of Endearment, both of which I liked. Not a lot of sandworms in either of them, though.
Broadcast News is one of my favorite movies.
Albert Brooks' sweating scene is painful as hell to watch (but in a good way).
It's how I imagine I look every time I have to speak publicly even though people assure me I'm decent at it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

ohsoso wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 5:19pm
Kory wrote:
I want to like Dune, but I've tried to read the book and tried to watch the first movie, but wound up tuning out after a while on both of them. I'm not sure what I'm missing because it seems like something I should be into. The more I thought about it the only thing I could come up with was that I was expecting sci-fi and got fantasy instead—may be worth trying again with that lens.
this adaptation would have been a real mind-fuck and awesome in every single way.
There's a great documentary about this, I wish it had come to pass.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 5:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:

After reading Judd Apatow's Sick in the Head (a really inspiring and thoughtful book on the nature of creativity, perseverance in the face of failure, and pure dumb luck) and reading about his reverence for James L. Brooks, I recently watched Broadcast News and Terms of Endearment, both of which I liked. Not a lot of sandworms in either of them, though.
It's how I imagine I look every time I have to speak publicly even though people assure me I'm decent at it.
I'm pretty classic in being intense anxiety beforehand, but once I start speaking it's fine. I absolutely hate the few minutes before class starts. I have everything set up and ready to go, but I have to wait. Let's get going, don't make me sit with my thoughts.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:

I'm pretty classic in being intense anxiety beforehand, but once I start speaking it's fine. I absolutely hate the few minutes before class starts. I have everything set up and ready to go, but I have to wait. Let's get going, don't make me sit with my thoughts.
I have some anxiety leading in, but I really start to feel it in the middle when I start Ed Koch-ing myself to death and it makes me lose my train of thought.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 6:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I have some anxiety leading in, but I really start to feel it in the middle when I start Ed Koch-ing myself to death and it makes me lose my train of thought.
I learned after my first class that my lecture notes have to be pretty close to a script. I can certainly do it with minimal notes, but improv-ing sends things astray, especially concerning time management. So loose scripts are how I compensate for poor self-discipline.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

Coaching helped me tremendously as a public speaker. I often had little time to prepare or think about my talk - halftime talks are based on the first half which was just completed minutes before. As a result, I generally have little anxiety/great confidence when I speak. Knowing your material is crucial to that confidence. To prepare to speak on a topic, I don't concentrate on my talk - I concentrate on knowing the topic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 6:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Hello,

Coaching helped me tremendously as a public speaker. I often had little time to prepare or think about my talk - halftime talks are based on the first half which was just completed minutes before. As a result, I generally have little anxiety/great confidence when I speak. Knowing your material is crucial to that confidence. To prepare to speak on a topic, I don't concentrate on my talk - I concentrate on knowing the topic.
Agreed entirely. The other thing is knowing that there's some unspecific percentage of the class that aren't into it. Can't control that. I speak largely to the first few rows and, to an extent, myself. One of the best experiences I ever had was a class that just fell apart early on. I structured it poorly and it was promoted terribly. Most of the students were expecting something else than what I was doing, so I was working a sparsely attended class most of the time. So I learned about satisfying myself in many respects to keep up my pace and enthusiasm. I don't recommend having a class that flops, but it can be a valuable R & D moment all the same.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Love Lies Bleeding (2024) In late 1980's New Mexico, a gym manager named Lou (Kirsten Stewart) meets a female bodybuilder named Jackie (Katy O'Brian) who has been working out at her gym. Jackie is a drifter who is traveling to a bodybuilding contest in Las Vegas, but Lou and Jackie fall in love, and the plan changes to both going to Las Vegas. However, Lou's estranged relationship with her father Lou Sr.(Ed Harris) a local crime boss, and her protective relationship with her sister, complicates their plans when her sister is severely beaten by her abusive husband (J.J.). Jackie who started taking steroids (at Lou's suggestion) becomes emotionally unstable and decides to get revenge on J.J. This leads to growing tensions between Lou, her father and Jackie that ends up in a surreal climax. Highly recommended A++++++
This was directed by Rose Glass who also directed St. Maude (I need to see that one)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

daredevil wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 10:41pm
Love Lies Bleeding (2024) In late 1980's New Mexico, a gym manager named Lou (Kirsten Stewart) meets a female bodybuilder named Jackie (Katy O'Brian) who has been working out at her gym. Jackie is a drifter who is traveling to a bodybuilding contest in Las Vegas, but Lou and Jackie fall in love, and the plan changes to both going to Las Vegas. However, Lou's estranged relationship with her father Lou Sr.(Ed Harris) a local crime boss, and her protective relationship with her sister, complicates their plans when her sister is severely beaten by her abusive husband (J.J.). Jackie who started taking steroids (at Lou's suggestion) becomes emotionally unstable and decides to get revenge on J.J. This leads to growing tensions between Lou, her father and Jackie that ends up in a surreal climax. Highly recommended A++++++
This was directed by Rose Glass who also directed St. Maude (I need to see that one)
I really wanna see this one. St. Maude is great.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Flex wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 10:44pm
daredevil wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 10:41pm
I really wanna see this one. St. Maude is great.
I've heard lots of great things about St. Maude, Its on my to watch list.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Thirteen Women, 1932, a total cheesefest that made me lol. Early Myrna Loy like I had never seen her. And I don't want to see her again.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0023582/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched Good Will Hunting this evening. I don't think I've seen it more than a couple times since it came out and certainly not in ten years. I don't dislike the film by any means, but there's a nagging 90s quality to it that I can't quite put my finger on. That is, I don't see it as being made in any other decade. Very "guys have problems and need hugs"—is that a 90s thing? It does confirm again that I like Mork in non-comedic roles.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Satanic Hispanics (2022) Five stories by five directors (Juan of the Dead, The Convent, Bingo Hell, Blair Witch Project, When Evil Lurks, just to to name one each) including a haunting, a vampire, a witch, a demon and a wraparound about a time traveler who’s seen it all. It was funny when it wanted to be and serious when it needed to be. I kinda loved it. (SHUDDER)

Dream Scenario (2023) Nic Cage is a family man, college professor, and all around boring dude who becomes an overnight sensation when he starts to appear in thousands of peoples dreams all over the world, but the honeymoon doesn’t last forever. This comedy/fantasy/horror was not dull for a minute, I liked it a lot. Loaded with actors I vaguely recognize but couldn’t name. (MAX)

Hexed (1993) A slapstick-thriller about a habitual liar/hotel clerk will do anything to spend time with the supermodel who's staying there, but regrets it when he finds she's a psycho killer. Arye Gross stars, Claudia Christian had recently made a big impression in The Hidden, and the adorable Adrienne Shelly (who had a tragic death in real life) as the good girl. Funny stuff, saw this more than once in the 90s! (TUBI)

Onirica (2019) Someone is committing Argento-influenced murders in Turin and a cop suspects a man who wrote books about him. This neo-giallo is mostly an excuse to fit in as many Dario references and locations as possible. If you like saying “Hey, I recognize that reference” then it should be worth a one-time look. I do. (AmPrime)

Death Knocks Twice aka The Blonde Connection (1969) Fabio Testi likes to strangle women, a detective has an eye on him and a hotel owner us looking for stolen jewels that might be related. Femi Benussi with blonde hair is the first victim, also with Anita Ekberg. (AmPrime)

The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (1985) After his family is betrayed and mostly killed, Gordon Liu severs the blade from his stick, joins a monastery and becomes master of the pole, but despite his vows to Buddha, he never quite gets a grip on his rage. The last half hour is tremendous. (ARROW)

The Last Drive-In: A Tribute to Roger Corman

A Bucket of Blood (1959) Roger Corman's black comedy stars Dick Miller as Walter Paisley, a dim-witted busboy at a hip Beatnik coffee house, with aspirations of being a "cool" artist, like those who frequent his place of employment. When he accidentally kills a cat, he covers it in clay and just like that, he is an artist and admired by his peers. He keeps the ball rolling by killing people and covering their bodies in wax (including future game-show host Bert Convy, in his first film), much to the delight of his unknowing admirers. Fun and funny stuff from Corman. Dick Miller would use the character name "Walter Paisley" in several other Corman productions. (SHUDDER)

Deathstalker (1983) A wizard-king concocts a phony gladiator tournament with the winner declared his heir, but it’s really a plot to have all the warriors kill each other. I usually don’t have much interest in this genre, but there were enough decapitations and boobs (from Barbi Benton and Lana Clarkson, among others) to keep it interesting. (SHUDDER)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 6:06am
And it was because of that, woke liberals took away our razor blade frisbees.