movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: movies

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 8:54am
I don't have much to say about it - apart from Frances McDormand being excellent - but I thought Three Billboards was excellent. First film in ages that I've watched without a break.
I'm going to watch that this week
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Silent Majority wrote:
I don't have much to say about it - apart from Frances McDormand being excellent - but I thought Three Billboards was excellent. First film in ages that I've watched without a break.
It got released in our city because of the oscar nominations. Were going to see it again sometime this week.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I, Tonya (2018) The story of Tonya Harding from childhood to the infamous incident and after. Its a very funny dark comedy with some
LOL moments. Margot Robbie (almost unrecognizable) in the title role is excellent. but Allison Janey as her mother steals the show everytime
shes in a scene.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 11:30pm
I, Tonya (2018) The story of Tonya Harding from childhood to the infamous incident and after. Its a very funny dark comedy with some
LOL moments. Margot Robbie (almost unrecognizable) in the title role is excellent. but Allison Janey as her mother steals the show everytime
shes in a scene.
I saw it a few days ago too, very entertaining, and yes, the mom stole the show

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

He Knows You’re Alone (1980) I’ve seen this mediocre slasher about 4 times in 40 years, I don’t know why I keep coming back. A jilted groom is murdering Brides-To-Be in upstate New York. There’s a good stalking scene in a movie theater, then fun with a fishtank later on, but overall not too memorable. I need to remember that I probably don’t ever need to see it again. It should be noted that Tom Hanks has a supporting role in this, apparently his first.

Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator (1989) I’ve always been intrigued by this interesting title from Troma, but low score and PG rating kept me away until now. Rich people role-playing “dangerous” fantasy situations. It was a drag. And you-know-who never got stuffed in the you-know-what.

Eugenie (1972) Jess Franco’s modern adaptation of the Marquis de Sade. The beautiful Soledad Miranda, in her last role, plays the title character, who develops a sexual relationship with her stepfather. If that’s not enough, they pick up hitch-hikers and murder them for fun. I thought the whole movie would be an excuse for Soledad to be naked, but I actually thought it was really good. I’ve probably seen 30 or so Franco movies, I’d put this in the top 25%.

Curtains (1983) Samatha Eggar (The Brood) is an actress who checks herself in to a mental home to research a major film role. John Vernon (Animal House) is the director who decides NOT to check her out, and instead invites 6 actresses to his home to audition for the part over the weekend. Eggar gets out and inserts herself back in to the competition, but one by one, her rivals meet their deaths. I saw this several years back and wasn’t a big fan, however, I think I’m changing my tune. It wasn’t gory or sexually explicit, and that’s probably what I was expecting form a slasher from this era, but it was a pretty good who-done-it with good characters, a memorable “old hag” mask on the killer, and a fun ending.

Patchwork (2015) Three young women wake after a night at the bar to find out they have been “Frankensteined” into to one body with three conscious brains. They band together to get violent revenge on those responsible in this mildly amusing comedy.

Trash Fire (2015) A douchey guy and his tolerant girlfriend visit his family in hopes it could save their rocky relationship. The grandma is a mean religious zealot, and his younger sister is a burn victim who holds him responsible for her deformity and is not quick to forgive. Sex out of wedlock is frowned upon from both of the couple’s families, what year is this? Uncomfortable and entertaining stuff from the director of Excision.

The Shape of Water (2017) A mute cleaning lady feeds eggs to the Creature From the Black Lagoon, while Michael Shannon tries to kill him in early 1960s Baltimore. Great sets and visuals in this fish-fuckin’ romantic fantasy from Guillermo del Toro. Plus nudity.

Happy Death Day (2017) Sorority bitch gets less bitchy after living her life on a Groundhog Day loop and trying to solve her own murder along the way. A lot of humor that worked for the most part. PG13 left it virtually bloodless. Entertaining enough to watch once.

Super Dark Times (2017) The increasingly popular Kids-on-Bikes-in-the-80s genre with a twist: it’s in the 90s! I even thought one of them was from Stranger Things but I was wrong. Things will never be the same between some teens after they try to cover up a violent incident. One guy won’t shut up about ot, and another guy’s personality changes altogether. Black Flag’s “Nervous Breakdown” plays for like 2 seconds, twice. Pretty good.

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) Classic sleaze with a deservedly big reputation. Alison Hayes is a sexy heiress who grows 50 feet tall after an encounter with a UFO, and goes on a rampage searching for her philandering husband. You can see through the superimposed shots of her walking around as a giant, and close-ups of her huge hand looks like paper mache. Yvette Vickers plays the floozie. Great dialog, and only an hour long, don’t miss it.

Subspecies IV: Bloodstorm (1998) Taking place immediately after the events of the 3rd film (2 & 3 were filmed in tandem 5 years earlier) Michelle is taken in a hospital and is promised to be “cured” of her vampirism, the doctor seems to have an ulterior motive. Meanwhile Radu, bent on revenge, goes to Bucharest and reclaims a lair from one of his disciples, causing the younger vampire and his own fledgling to plot against him. The entire four-film franchise turned out to be a lot better than I expected it to be. Nudity: yes.

mother! (2017) Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem live in a peaceful, remote mansion when Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer burst in as obnoxious houseguests. Jennifer hates them, Javier loves them. Increasingly absurd situations arise to the point where the only thing I felt watching it was aggravation. Not a pleasant watching experience HOWEVER...after it was over my wife and I went to the internet for answers and what we found made us do the old "Ooooooooh, OK, That's what that meant!" I've never been that good at recognizing allegory. So is it that bad if we were still talking about it two hours later? I don't know. Would I watch it again? Unlikely. But be your own judge.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 2:11pm
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) Classic sleaze with a deservedly big reputation. Alison Hayes is a sexy heiress who grows 50 feet tall after an encounter with a UFO, and goes on a rampage searching for her philandering husband. You can see through the superimposed shots of her walking around as a giant, and close-ups of her huge hand looks like paper mache. Yvette Vickers plays the floozie. Great dialog, and only an hour long, don’t miss it.
Great flick, especially if you know the historical context of the 1950s, where there was a prevalent belief that men were growing soft and effeminate by the expansion of white-collar work. Today's Men's Rights knobs would get the subtext of that film right away.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) Six scientist-types are trapped on an international space station orbiting above the Earth in turmoil. If you like parallel universe/rift in time shit, well this is that. I thought it was OK, I liked the 2nd Cloverfield better, but hated the first, so this one falls in the middle, thought none of them hardly seem related.

Logan’s Run (1976) In a futuristic domed society, residents live in paradise until their 30th birthday, when they are terminated. Everyone seems cool with it, except those who decide to run. They are hunted down by “Sandmen.” Michael York is a Sandman, but the shoe is on the other foot when he becomes a runner himself. The beautiful Jenny Agutter goes along for the ride. They find a whole new world outside. What’s a book? What’s a cat? etc. Some nudity. Kind of fun, horrible FX.

Dune (1984) Several different planets fight over who controls the “spice” which powers rockets and extends life, but is only mined on a desert planet infested with giant killer worms. Kyle MacLaclan is sort of a “chosen one” type. Also with Jose Ferrer, Max Von Sydow, Patrick Stewart, Brad Dourif, Dean Stockwell, Sean Young, and Sting in his underwear. Dino DeLaurentis produced and David Lynch directed and wrote the screenplay based on Frank Herbert’s popular novel. Creature FX were good, visual FX, not really.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Molly's Game (2018) A world-class skier (Jessica Chastain) with Olympic aspirations, suffers a career ending injury.
Instead of attending college, she decides to take a year off and moves to Los Angeles, where she meets a real estate developer who involves her in running his underground poker games. Because of her charismatic personality, she soon runs the game in LA and later in New York. The games go well
for a while, but because some of the players have mob connections, she becomes the target of an FBI investigation.
Pretty good film, edited in a way that keeps you interested till the end.

Edit: Was looking forward to seeing Cloverfield Paradox at the theater, but for some reason it went straight to cable.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 12:42pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It got released in our city because of the oscar nominations. Were going to see it again sometime this week.
That was a good fucking movie.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

tepista wrote:
21 Feb 2018, 11:50am
daredevil wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 12:42pm
Silent Majority wrote:
That was a good fucking movie.
Yeah. That scene with the dentist was hilarious. She didn't take a gram of shit off nobody.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Black Panther SPOLIER, so if you haven't seen it, don't read.

OK, so Michael B Jordan is all "Hey, millions of black people are oppressed, but you guys wanna hoard all your resources" and BP is all, we mind our own fucking business, so MBJ challenges and wins FAIR AND SQUARE. Actually, more than fair and square, Forrest Whittaker interfered. So BP comes back, and retakes his crown at the expense of MANY lives of his people, then kills MBJ, and then finally says, OK, we'll share the resources. Who was the bad guy?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We watched Go Ask Alice this morning and learned two things: Starting a diary leads to drug addiction and William Shatner should have been wearing a corset in the early 70s but felt comfortable enough with himself not to.

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 8:40am
We watched Go Ask Alice this morning and learned two things: Starting a diary leads to drug addiction and William Shatner should have been wearing a corset in the early 70s but felt comfortable enough with himself not to.

Taking drugs in the early 70's sure seemed like a real groovy time...
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 8:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 8:40am

Taking drugs in the early 70's sure seemed like a real groovy time...
Not so! Watch this 159% accurate televised motion picture and you will know the truth!

(I'll bet Narc Clashy would have an informed opinion about this.)

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Ritual (2017) Four adult Brits go hiking, get lost, and have nightmares. I know a lot of people are flipping over this one, and I did like it, but serious overhype. Very Blair Witchy. Certainly worth a watch though.

Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo (1977) Tom Atkins and Howard Hessman crash land a plane full of Ecuadorian coffee in a small orange-growing community in California. Some serious imbiciles did the loading, as they didn’t notice about a thousand killer tarantulas. The arachnids quickly grow fond of the oranges, and the towns crops are in danger. People too, several deaths, including a kid. Also with Claude Akins. Svengoolie showed this mediocre Made-For TV movie.

The Supernaturals (1986) An army training troop comes across confederate soldier zombies. I have vivid memories of picking this VHS box up in the rental store but never taking it home. I guess I was smarter then than I am now. Dull as fuck, barley any blood, no sex. If you like Star Trek, it had both Lavar Burton and Nichelle Nichols. From the director of He Knows You’re Alone.

Victor Crowley (2017) I don’t know why this is not called Hatchet 4, but Adam Green returns to direct and knocked it out of the park. Just like the first installment, we’ve got likable characters and all the jokes hit the mark. Not to mention enough gore to satisfy anyone. Scream Queen vets Felissa Rose and Tiffany Shepis have supporting parts, Tif’s was especially heartbreaking. Best entry since the first, will rewatch without a doubt.

M.F.A. (2017) Clint Eastwood’s daughter, Francesca, is a college student who gets date raped, and takes matters into her own hands when nothing is done about it. Then she gets the taste for revenge and takes down a few other guys who got cleared of charges on other cases. I enjoyed this rape/revenge flick, it was no Ms.45. Francesca got increasingly hotter as the film progressed.

Black Mama, White Mama (1973) Pam Grier and Margaret Markov are chained together and make a jailbreak from a Filipino prison, a la Sidney Poitier and Tony Curtis in The Defiant Ones. Pam is a prostitute and Markov is a revolutionary, and they both want to go to opposite sides of the island. After a few rounds of fistfights, they work together to take down the man. Sid Haig steals the show as a cowboy bounty hunter who rolls around with a bunch naked chicks. Lots of nudity, lots of violence in this fun cheapie from prolific Filipino director Eddie Romero.

Psycho Cop (1989) Not be confused with the awesome Maniac Cop, this is a worthless slasher about 3 young couples in a secluded vacation house who fall prey to a psycho cop. If you make a drinking game about how many times someone says the word “caretaker” you will die of alcohol poisoning. You see, the caretaker dies early and the rest of the cast spends the entire remainder of the movie wondering where he went. The Psycho Cop had about a dozen uninspirerd one-liners. Anyway, this was garbage with no nudity and none-too-special gore, but I understand the 1993 sequel is a sleaze classic, so I have my fingers crossed for that.

Crypt of the Vampire aka Terror in the Crypt (1964) Despite the generic title, this black & white, loose Italian adaptation of Carmilla, starring Christopher Lee had me smiling for the entire 82 minutes. Lee is a Count who hires a historian to find more info, and hopefully a description of his dead ancestor Carmilla, because he’s worried his beautiful daughter has been possessed by her spirit to commit murder. A carriage crash brings another young lady into the castle while she recovers. One of the black magic practicing housekeepers uses a severed human hand as a candelabra, which I just learned is called a “Hand of Glory.” Great gothic fun, and on Amazon Prime.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) This unemotional, awkward dialog, “My daughter had her first period” in causal conversation, are you kidding me? Not a sympathetic character to be found. The trailer looked fantastic. I was really let down, arthouse bullshit ain’t my cup of tea. I'm sure some people like it, to each their own. Made me appreciate mother!

Terror Out of the Sky (1978) Made-for-TV sequel the The Savage Bees. Bees are back, and The National Bee Center (NBC) needs to track down 3 accidental shipments of killer bees that were sent out to farms. They get the first two, but the 3rd terrorizes a softball game and schoolbus full of kids. Starring Grizzly Adams and the lady who played Diane in the Walking Dead. Svengoolie showd this.

Tragedy Girls (2017) Two pretty high school girls kidnap a serial killer (Kevin Durand from The Strain), commit several murders themselves, and become social media darlings in this fun satire from the director of Patchwork. One of the girls was from season 2 of Exorcist, and the other is the new Storm in X-Men. Craig Robertson is in it too, and was one of the producers. Good FX