movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by Low Down Low »

Moore. Just simply because he was first Bond i saw and fitted the part for me. Think best villains were around his time too. Books not particularly well written but i kinda dig the fact that he doesn't always get the girl in them and regularly gets the shit truly kicked out of him.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Attn: Tep.
The Wolfman, Dracula and Frankenstein spy on a girls' school in the mountains, where most of the girls spend their time sunbathing in the nude, nude exercises and nude art classes. The monsters finally invade the school.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

i've seen clips of it :)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Caught the last 30 minutes of Career Opportunities. Lord but it is a lousy flick.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Watched the Netflix documentary 13th last night with the missus, tracking the rise of black incarceration and the prison-industrial complex. Nothing super new if you're familiar with some of this history, but the presentation is still deeply affecting and it does a good job weaving the thread of systemic racism from immediate post-civil war reconstruction to today. One of those films on lists circulating about how white people can educate themselves right now. My wife said some of this she knew from her early education in California, but once she moved to Kentucky and went to middle/high school there all of this stuff dropped off the curriculum entirely, so she found a fair amount eye opening. Anyways, very accessible film.

I'd say it's mostly all ages friendly, although they don't shy away from showing recent police murders of black people in the footage that's been captured. A montage of some of that footage towards the end is tear-inducing for sure. So, fair heads up for anyone looking to watch with a family (or that need to mentally steel themselves).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 11:31am
Watched the Netflix documentary 13th last night with the missus, tracking the rise of black incarceration and the prison-industrial complex. Nothing super new if you're familiar with some of this history, but the presentation is still deeply affecting and it does a good job weaving the thread of systemic racism from immediate post-civil war reconstruction to today. One of those films on lists circulating about how white people can educate themselves right now. My wife said some of this she knew from her early education in California, but once she moved to Kentucky and went to middle/high school there all of this stuff dropped off the curriculum entirely, so she found a fair amount eye opening. Anyways, very accessible film.

I'd say it's mostly all ages friendly, although they don't shy away from showing recent police murders of black people in the footage that's been captured. A montage of some of that footage towards the end is tear-inducing for sure. So, fair heads up for anyone looking to watch with a family (or that need to mentally steel themselves).
I've been looking for something to watch with VH, Jr. Thank you.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 11:31am

Thanks for the rec, Flex.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Lodge (2019) Not interested in any Father-of-the-Year trophies, a dad leaves his two recently-motherless kids with his whack-a-doo, half his age girlfriend in a snowed in cabin in the middle of nowhere, and things don’t go exactly great. Slow and creepy, I thought the payoff was very good. Elvis’ granddaughter takes her top off, and one of the kids was in Stephen King’s It. From the makers of Goodnight Mommy.

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) A British sound engineer takes a job scoring an Italian horror pic. The job is demanding, and some strange things occur. It was a love letter to the great spaghetti horror of the 70s, and it had lots of great sounds and images, but the story kinda fizzled out for me. I’m glad I saw it, but nothing I’d rush to see twice. I’d be interested in the fake movie they were working on, it was like Suspiria at a school for equestrian! From the director of In Fabric, which I liked better.

The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (1971) The undisputed Queen of Giallo, Edwige Fenech, is a buisinessman’s wife who ex-lover and current stalker shared a very specific kink with her, and she believes he might be responsible for the wave of sex-murders that are taking the city by storm. She begins an affair with a third man (another giallo mainstay, George Hilton), but the murders seem to be hitting closer to home. If Edie with her clothes off multiple times isn’t enough, about 4 or 5 additional beauties bare it as well in this great, first giallo from one of the best, Sergio Martino.

The Oily Maniac (1976) A law office clerk with a limp uses a black magic spell to become a slimy superhero when he dips himself in oil and takes revenge on his criminal bosses and the sleazebags who try to rape his unrequited love. The more her turns, though, the more he kills less deserving people. Some king fu horror action and a good deal of nudity in the Shaw Brothers horror.

Simon, King of the Witches (1971) Andrew Prine calls himself the most powerful warlock in the world, but seems perfectly content with a meager existence living in an LA storm drain. He becomes a novelty at rich parties but when one of his new acquaintances stiffs him on bill, he puts a death curse on him. When it comes true the ones who laughed at him are now terrified. Later, he uses his powers to protect some relatively harmless dope dealers from corrupt cops. I thought this was really good, and worked for me since most of the “magic” was pretty subtle. Some nudity. Good counter-culture stuff from the director of dozens of TV shows, including The Monkees.

A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin (1971) A woman dreams she stabbed her jet set neighbor in a dream, and wakes to realize the neighbor is dead. Lots of psychadellia and hippy stuff in future goremeister Lucio Fulci’s first attempt at giallo, but I felt it dragged with not a lot of kills and only one scene of nudity, and seemed almost like a Jess Franco flick. This was my second go at it, it didn’t do it for me, though Fulci would hit giallo gold the next year with Don’t Torture a Duckling.

In Search of Darkness (2109) A 4+ hour doc about 80s horror goes year-by-year to feature clips of some of the most important films of the decade, accompanied with interviews with John Carpenter, Stuart Gordon, Larry Cohen, Tom Atkins, Barbara Crampton, Tom Holland, Lloyd Kaufman, Don Mancini, Joe Dante, Heather Langenkamp, Cassandra Peterson, Joe Bob Briggs and many, many more. Unlikely that VHS-aged fans will find any movies you hadn’t heard of, but a thoroughly entertaining trip down memory lane.

Clive Barker’s Lord of Illusions (1995) Scot Bakula is a NY private eye in LA, who has a knack for being drawn towards the supernatural. When famous magician “Swann” is killed during an accident onstage, his widow (Famke Janssen) hires Bakula to find out some things. Swann, and others, were in a cult who turned on its leader, Nix, killing and burying him, but 13 years later a dedicated follower is bent on resurrecting him. Nix had taught Swann much of his black magic, but no one is a match for his power when he returns, bent on revenge and world domination. The story got confusing at times, but it was pretty fun. A little bit of nudity near the beginning, and although she keeps her clothes on, the beautiful Janssen wears some mighty revealing outfits.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs – Season 2 Week 5
The Exorcist III (1990) George C. Scott is a detective who finds that the incredibly brutal murders he’s been investigating link together through an unknown psycho-ward patient (Brad Dourif) who claims to be a serial killer who has been thought dead for 15 years. Pretty creepy stuff and explodes into some outrageous action at the end. William Peter Blatty, who wrote the original novel, adapted and directed his own novel for this.
Damn if I didn’t just see this about 5 weeks ago.

Deadbeat at Dawn (1988) No-budget indie form Dayton, OH about a guy who quits his gang, only to have his girlfriend murdered by his rival gang, then have the two gangs join forces and rope him into a robbery attempt. Lots of drugs, gunshots and stabbings, and the effects were pretty cool for the money. Writer/director/editor Jim Van Beeber started this out as a student project and finished it after 4 years of shooting on weekends! He did look older by the end!
Thanks Joe Bob, I’d never even HEARD of that one!

My "comfort food" watch was Carrie (1976), too many times to count. One thing I wonder, assuming Sue Snell's (Amy Irving) intentions were pure, wouldn't a normal human just try to befriend Carrie? Teenagers, go figure. Or grown-ups playing teenagers, that is. Irving was 23, Sissey Spacek was 27, Nancy Allen and PJ Soles were 26, etc. Which means PJ was 29 in Rock and Roll High School... OK, enough, this is turning into a rant.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

No, I'm not watching this, but it just showed up in the guide on a movie channel and I'm reminded of being at Costco and a woman going full-on Karen at an employee because the DVD was sold out or wasn't in yet (not sure). She *promised* her precious chud spawn that he'd have that movie to watch today and Costco was trying to make her break that promise. That kid is an adult now and is almost certainly a messed-up monster if parenting means anything.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 3:21pm
The Exorcist III (1990) George C. Scott is a detective who finds that the incredibly brutal murders he’s been investigating link together through an unknown psycho-ward patient (Brad Dourif) who claims to be a serial killer who has been thought dead for 15 years. Pretty creepy stuff and explodes into some outrageous action at the end. William Peter Blatty, who wrote the original novel, adapted and directed his own novel for this.
The novel, Legion, is excellent—much better than The Exorcist. I found out that the priest who performed the exorcist in the cell was forced on Blatty by studio execs—which makes sense, because his presence otherwise makes little sense—and a fan created a more faithful director's cut that uses available footage, It's 95% the same movie and the edits are a bit awkward, but it does hint at a much better movie.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 6:44pm
No, I'm not watching this, but it just showed up in the guide on a movie channel and I'm reminded of being at Costco and a woman going full-on Karen at an employee because the DVD was sold out or wasn't in yet (not sure). She *promised* her precious chud spawn that he'd have that movie to watch today and Costco was trying to make her break that promise. That kid is an adult now and is almost certainly a messed-up monster if parenting means anything.
Ive never seen it but cant imagine someone wanting to see it that badly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 6:44pm
Ive never seen it but cant imagine someone wanting to see it that badly.
Despite my personal context, I still have no interest to see what the tantrum was all about.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 6:49pm
tepista wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 3:21pm
The novel, Legion, is excellent—much better than The Exorcist. I found out that the priest who performed the exorcist in the cell was forced on Blatty by studio execs—which makes sense, because his presence otherwise makes little sense—and a fan created a more faithful director's cut that uses available footage, It's 95% the same movie and the edits are a bit awkward, but it does hint at a much better movie.
Joe Bob Briggs goes deep, deep, deep into behind the scenes info when he hosts movies, so yeah the studio was mad that there was no exorcism The Joe Bob went on a rant about what an alcoholic the actor who played him was.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Ready Or Not (2019)
After her wedding, The bride (Samara Weaving) becomes the target of a deadly game of hide and seek. Its explained that the old family ancestors had recieved help from someone years ago to build their wealth. In exchange they pay tribute to the mysterious person by having every new family member play a game that is drawn from a box of cards. This is another one I wished I had seen at the theater. You'll laugh when you find out what happens to the family! And the last line is pretty funny too.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 10:50pm
Ready Or Not (2019)
After her wedding, The bride (Samara Weaving) becomes the target of a deadly game of hide and seek. Its explained that the old family ancestors had recieved help from someone years ago to build their wealth. In exchange they pay tribute to the mysterious person by having every new family member play a game that is drawn from a box of cards. This is another one I wished I had seen at the theater. You'll laugh when you find out what happens to the family! And the last line is pretty funny too.
LOVE this movie, I saw it in theater, and plan on rewatching soon