movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: movies

Post by Heston »

Watched Con Air last night for the first time in 20 years. Fuck me, it's so cheesy yet so entertaining,
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 12:54pm
Watched Con Air last night for the first time in 20 years. Fuck me, it's so cheesy yet so entertaining,
I love the gradual procession of criminals to the airplane's cargo hold to look thru Cage's stuff. It's a movie that works only by completely accepting its stupidity.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I for one am thrilled there us another movie that explores the plight of the British royal family, its been at least a couple of years since the last one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:26pm
I for one am thrilled there us another movie that explores the plight of the British royal family, its been at least a couple of years since the last one.
Are you talking about the one about Victoria and the Indian guy? The wife rolls her eyes at my snarling at the tv about humanizing an imperialist monster when the ad comes on. I'm completely baffled how a white guy is more disgusted by the monarchy than a Metis woman.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:33pm
revbob wrote:
Are you talking about the one about Victoria and the Indian guy? The wife rolls her eyes at my snarling at the tv about humanizing an imperialist monster when the ad comes on. I'm completely baffled how a white guy is more disgusted by the monarchy than a Metis woman.
Yeah thats the fucking one.

My completely unscientific anectdotal experience is that women tend to have a higher degree of tolerance of royalty, specifically British royalty. However in this instance my wife is with me on calling bullshit. We completely diverge when it comes to Diana though

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 7:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

My completely unscientific anectdotal experience is that women tend to have a higher degree of tolerance of royalty, specifically British royalty. However in this instance my wife is with me on calling bullshit. We completely diverge when it comes to Diana though
In my missuz' case, her mother's side of the family are ardent royalists, so as a kid she was drenched in loving all that pomp and crap. Why she doesn't better appreciate her Metis father's contempt for the powerful is a total mystery (especially when her academic work is distinctly anti-colonialist). Again, I'm a middle-class white guy—why am I the half of us who wants to guillotine all these fuckers and not her?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 8:02pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

In my missuz' case, her mother's side of the family are ardent royalists, so as a kid she was drenched in loving all that pomp and crap. Why she doesn't better appreciate her Metis father's contempt for the powerful is a total mystery (especially when her academic work is distinctly anti-colonialist). Again, I'm a middle-class white guy—why am I the half of us who wants to guillotine all these fuckers and not her?
A policy ive advocated for a long time. However in lieu of that they could give up all their ill gotten gains and become regular working people and be spared.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 8:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

A policy ive advocated for a long time. However in lieu of that they could give up all their ill gotten gains and become regular working people and be spared.
I'm more tolerant of royal families like in Holland where the members do live like regular people rather than obscenely wealthy Bond villains.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

35 greatest sci-fi films since Blade Runner was released: https://www.avclub.com/the-35-best-scie ... 1819142386

(Spoiler: Attack of the Clones must have been, like, #36 or something.)

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Not wanting to guillotine your spouse is a sign of a strong marriage, I guess.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 9:12am
35 greatest sci-fi films since Blade Runner was released: https://www.avclub.com/the-35-best-scie ... 1819142386

I, for one, am pleased that the initial reviews of the sequel are very positive.

I've not seen a movie in an actual movie theater in several years.

I am so keen on seeing Blade Runner 2049 that I may venture in to one this Friday night.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Not wanting to guillotine your spouse is a sign of a strong marriage, I guess.
:lol: I think it's a point in my favour at the very least.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Lots of great ones in there. Reminds me I still need to see Moon. Interesting to see AI so high as I thought it was pretty maligned at the time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

matedog wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Lots of great ones in there. Reminds me I still need to see Moon. Interesting to see AI so high as I thought it was pretty maligned at the time.
AI is seriously underappreciated, IMHO.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Spiff wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:53am
matedog wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 10:49am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

AI is seriously underappreciated, IMHO.
Still would have preferred a Kubrick version.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc