movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: movies

Post by Heston »

I watched Psychomania as a kid and was obsessed with it for years.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 11:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 3:21am
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 9:41am
revbob wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 9:18am
Silent Majority wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 9:13am
PSYCHOMANIA. Fuck yeah.

Loved this as a kid. Looks like the whole thing is on YouTube
1st time watch, an instant classic, so much better than I thought it would be
Great movie. I didn't see this until 1986 and only because The Damned had a song called "Psychomania" on their "Anything" album. I saw the film was on Channel 4 one night and gave it a watch. Really great cast and classic movie.
George Sanders' last film credit! This movie makes me want to drive a motorcycle through a supermarket!
Haha love it!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Antebellum (2020) During the American Civil War, a slave (Janelle Monae) plans her escape from a plantation run by a Confederate General and his daughter. As the film progresses we (the audience) discover that things are not what they appear to be. I thought this was really good, it was written by Jordan Peele. Kinda reminds me of the TZ.

Capone (2019) After his release from prison, Al Capone retires to Florida. While there, his family, former mob associates and the FBI try to discover where he hid a rumored treasure of money. Tom Hardy as Al, says almost no dialogue as he grunts and coughs through the entire film.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

daredevil wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 8:29pm
Antebellum (2020) During the American Civil War, a slave (Janelle Monae) plans her escape from a plantation run by a Confederate General and his daughter. As the film progresses we (the audience) discover that things are not what they appear to be. I thought this was really good, it was written by Jordan Peele. Kinda reminds me of the TZ.

Capone (2019) After his release from prison, Al Capone retires to Florida. While there, his family, former mob associates and the FBI try to discover where he hid a rumored treasure of money. Tom Hardy as Al, says almost no dialogue as he grunts and coughs through the entire film.
I want to see Antebellum.

I would be pleased if I found out that Al Capone spent the later years of his life plotting to make an unborn Geraldo Rivera look like a fool.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

tepista wrote:
22 Oct 2020, 1:31pm
daredevil wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 8:29pm

I want to see Antebellum.

I would be pleased if I found out that Al Capone spent the later years of his life plotting to make an unborn Geraldo Rivera look like a fool.
I remember that TV special. My parents watched all two hours.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

So I'm basically home alone saturday night. What's a great scary movie that came out in the last year or two that I should watch? Wife is busy so gore is not an issue.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 3:22pm
So I'm basically home alone saturday night. What's a great scary movie that came out in the last year or two that I should watch? Wife is busy so gore is not an issue.
I though Color Out of Space was really good. The Hunt was fun. Everyone who's seen Ready or Not seems to love it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 3:50pm
matedog wrote:
I though Color Out of Space was really good. The Hunt was fun. Everyone who's seen Ready or Not seems to love it.
I'll add a second vote for Color Out of Space. Also, if you are a fan of over the top Cage performances, Mandy would fit the bill as well, although it's a bit older. It's got a bit of Evil Dead vibe so it's funny and "scary."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watched the Borat sequel this morning. It was good, but the effect wasn't the same kind of appalled humour of the 14 years ago. It was a lot more subdued because, I think, the revelations aren't as shocking. We've been exposed to a steady diet of the awful as the kind of people who revealed themselves the first time around are clearly open about it all the time now. I did enjoy the Canadian reference, where Borat says that Obama made all countries elect Africans, and then there's a cut to Trudeau's infamous blackface photo. There's also a scene where Borat is describing impregnating his daughter because she's so beautiful that clearly evokes Trump and Ivanka. And a sweet moment where Borat, discouraged to learn from Facebook that the Holocaust never happened, meets with a survivor who tells him it was true and is so kind and encouraging about living peacefully. And, yes, the Giuliani scene. It's not hard to see how he's been played and used by foreign operatives.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 8:04am
Watched the Borat sequel this morning. It was good, but the effect wasn't the same kind of appalled humour of the 14 years ago. It was a lot more subdued because, I think, the revelations aren't as shocking. We've been exposed to a steady diet of the awful as the kind of people who revealed themselves the first time around are clearly open about it all the time now. I did enjoy the Canadian reference, where Borat says that Obama made all countries elect Africans, and then there's a cut to Trudeau's infamous blackface photo. There's also a scene where Borat is describing impregnating his daughter because she's so beautiful that clearly evokes Trump and Ivanka. And a sweet moment where Borat, discouraged to learn from Facebook that the Holocaust never happened, meets with a survivor who tells him it was true and is so kind and encouraging about living peacefully. And, yes, the Giuliani scene. It's not hard to see how he's been played and used by foreign operatives.
Definitely but still great IMO. The debutante ball was perhaps the best.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 8:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That was hysterical. What I loved is that Tutar was speaking (I think) Bulgarian (that is where the actress is from, so I am making that assumption) and Borat was speaking Hebrew (and his Hebrew was actually pretty much aligned with the subtitles). The assumption is Americans are so dumb, they won't recognize that they were speaking and responding to each other in two different languages. Chef's kiss.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 11:58am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That was hysterical. What I loved is that Tutar was speaking (I think) Bulgarian (that is where the actress is from, so I am making that assumption) and Borat was speaking Hebrew (and his Hebrew was actually pretty much aligned with the subtitles). The assumption is Americans are so dumb, they won't recognize that they were speaking and responding to each other in two different languages. Chef's kiss.
Didn't know that, makes it even better.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That was my favorite scene also. What a buncha creeps

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Frankenstein (2015) A pair of scientists create a human in a lab. It's strong as an ox, but has instincts of a baby. When his skin starts to rot, they decide to put him down humanely, and it's all downhill from there. Seems he can't die, whether it's from poison, bone-saws, bullets from dickhead cops, whatever. He bludgeons his way through security guards and cops and hospital staff until he eventually winds up on skid row in LA with Tony "Candyman" Todd, who plays the blind friend who teaches him how to survive. Along with a hooker with a heart of gold, thing go OK for a while, but eventually fall apart, and the monster seeks his "parents" to find why they have forsaken him! Carrie Ann Moss (The Matrix) played "The Mother" and Bernard Rose (Candyman) directed. I caught this 5 or so years ago with zero expectations and thought it was fantastic. On the rewatch, there was one particular character decision that made very little sense, but hey, it’s a horror movie. Really good movie.

Scare Me (2020) A nobody horror writer meets an accomplished one in a secluded woodsy neighborhood, and when the power goes out they tell each other scary stories to fend off boredom. This long, talky comedy is almost a 2 person show, if not for a pizza man joining the party for a bit. Josh Ruben, whoever that is, wrote, directed and starred with Aya Cash (You’re the Worst, The Boys) and Chris Redd (SNL) I was moderately entertained, I wouldn’t go so far as to recommend it.

Books of Blood (2020) Clive Barker’s 80s stories are adapted in this made for HULU movie. A young woman with hypersensitive hearing finds herself as a lodger in the home of an older couple with a secret. A non-believer opens up to a medium who has contacted her late son, and a gangster will go to any length to obtain the title book, in this loosely tied trio. Unfortunately, these were the Books of Dud.

WNUF Halloween Special (2013) What an interesting project this was. No beginning or end credits, just a VHS tape popped into a player, and we watch a 30 minute local news program from small town Ohio in 1987, followed by a live special presentation of a news reporter bringing psychics into an old murder house, where things ultimately go wrong. The story itself was entertaining enough, though not spectacular, but the whole shot-on-video production, complete with dozens of commercial breaks and totally 80s on-screen graphics was very charming. The viewer of the VHS tape even has the courtesy to FF through the dull parts of the newscast and the repeated commercials! One thing I noticed that a lot of the town history that was laid down during the early newscast was primed to make a comeback and most of it didn’t. Children of the 80s like myself should get a real kick out of this, younger viewers I can’t be sure. Watch at your own risk. This was my second watch in an attempt to spark my missing Halloween spirit this year! Better the first time, but fun.

Maximum Overdrive (1986) Stephen King wrote his one and only directorial credit for the screen. The Earth is in a comet’s tail and for the duration everything mechanical turns against humans. Emilio Estevez and a group of survivors wait it out in a North Carolina truck stop. This one has a bad rep, and yeah it’s a mess but there’s a lot of fun and violent action sequences, an AC/DC soundtrack never hurt anything (I still have my vinyl copy in fact) and the goblin-faced 18-wheeler is semi-iconic. No pun intended. My whole family went to the theater for this when I was 16!

Plankton aka Creatures from the Abyss (1994) Five teens are marooned at seas when they find an abandoned yacht. They climb aboard for fun, but soon find that this pleasure vessel doubled as an experimental lab, and there’s some horny prehistoric fish on board. There’s some nudity and a couple of pretty impressive gross-out practical FX scenes. 4 of the 5 actors have this as their only credit. You could do worse.

Hunter’s Blood (1986) Five city slickers go on a backwoods hunting trip and run afoul of redneck poachers in this violent, Deliverance-inspired horror-adventure. With Sam Bottoms (Apocalypse Now), Clu Gullager (Return of the Living Dead), Kim Delaney (NYPD Blue), the awesome Billy Drago, and John Travolta’s doofus brother Joey as a loudmouthed New Yorker who riles up the antagonists.

The Mortuary Collection (2019) Clancy Brown (Shawshank Redemption, etc) is a mortician who tells the stories of several odd deaths in the small town of Raven’s End. The first story is practically a throw-away, the 2nd and 3rd a bit better, though the 3rd was very similar to a recent Creepshow episode. The 4th story and the wraparound were very good. I’m hearing rave reviews on this, can’t say I agree, but certainly not bad. Nice aesthetic, and I like that it’s a bit vague in regards to what time frame this is taking place, like old Universal movies used to do. Good enough to watch once.

The Cleansing Hour (2019) A popular web series about a studly priest who performs weekly (hoax) exorcisms sees it’s viewership go through the roof when he suddenly encounters the real deal. I’d actually seen the short this was based on a few years ago on the El Rey Network Horror Short Showcase and thought it was great! Perhaps not enough substance to carry an entire feature, and I didn’t really like the characters, but overall OK.

The Night of the Virgin (2016) A goofy-looking young man leaves a New Year’s party with a mature woman looking to score, but gets spooked when he finds her apartment is full of ritualistic items, and even more so when her angry boyfriend starts pounding at the door in this offbeat horror-comedy from Spain. You have your expected gross-out scenes, but I thought it should have been a little funnier for what they were going for.

Ganja & Hess (1973) Duane Jones is Hess, a rich doctor who happens to have a blood addiction and also happens to be immortal. Madeline Clark (Lamont’s girlfriend Jenny from Sanford & Son) is Ganja, the widow who comes to stay with him while looking for the husband that he disposed of. They end up having a relationship, draining their share of blood along the way. I think Ganja was supposed to be a sympathetic character, but she was constantly rude to the butler, a big turn-off for me. Very interesting, low budget vampire oddity, with plenty of blood as well as male and female nudity. This has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Vampires vs the Bronx (2020) Three nerdy 13 year olds figure out that vampires are behind the gentrification of their neighborhood and learn how to fight them with the help of a DVD copy of Blade in this light, easy to watch Netflix original. The Kid Mero, Method Man, and Zoe Saldana are some of the grown-ups.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 4:11pm
tepista wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 3:50pm
matedog wrote:
I'll add a second vote for Color Out of Space. Also, if you are a fan of over the top Cage performances, Mandy would fit the bill as well, although it's a bit older. It's got a bit of Evil Dead vibe so it's funny and "scary."
Ended up skipping on this after finishing Lovecraft Country and not being out for more Lovecraftian stuff. Was rushed for time and watched Creep 2 which was solid.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.