movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 2:06pm
Kory wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched Disney's Snow White just now, the first time in decades for each of us. Stray observations:
- if that huntsman does his damned job—you know, killing, which he's doubtless done dozens of times—there's no story. So, incompetence drives the narrative.
- what the hell is up with the dwarves, mining gems yet living like paupers? Are the gems owed to their baron or whatever? Don't they get a cut? No way they should be that poor when they are literally hauling out diamonds and emeralds.
- dig that royal prerogative that Snow White can waltz into someone's home and just take charge
- hey, didn't Doc et al warn SW that the queen was an evil witch and to be wary of strangers? One hour later: oh, hi, old woman, sure I'll eat that apple you're really pushing. Too stupid to live.
- ah, thank god a white man wearing lipstick came along to set things right
- and where the fuck is her father the king in all this? Hey, my daughter and wife are both missing. Should I look for them? Nah, too busy going on crusades or some shit, I guess. I hope Prince Charming there slashes his throat when they get back to the castle.
- more generally, there is a shitload of filler in this movie. Cut out the cooking and cleaning scenes and we're easily under an hour.
Her father is dead, right? Like in Cinderella.
May that was in the prologue and we missed it.
I think it's just implied.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 2:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 2:06pm
Kory wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Aug 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched Disney's Snow White just now, the first time in decades for each of us. Stray observations:
- if that huntsman does his damned job—you know, killing, which he's doubtless done dozens of times—there's no story. So, incompetence drives the narrative.
- what the hell is up with the dwarves, mining gems yet living like paupers? Are the gems owed to their baron or whatever? Don't they get a cut? No way they should be that poor when they are literally hauling out diamonds and emeralds.
- dig that royal prerogative that Snow White can waltz into someone's home and just take charge
- hey, didn't Doc et al warn SW that the queen was an evil witch and to be wary of strangers? One hour later: oh, hi, old woman, sure I'll eat that apple you're really pushing. Too stupid to live.
- ah, thank god a white man wearing lipstick came along to set things right
- and where the fuck is her father the king in all this? Hey, my daughter and wife are both missing. Should I look for them? Nah, too busy going on crusades or some shit, I guess. I hope Prince Charming there slashes his throat when they get back to the castle.
- more generally, there is a shitload of filler in this movie. Cut out the cooking and cleaning scenes and we're easily under an hour.
Her father is dead, right? Like in Cinderella.
May that was in the prologue and we missed it.
I think it's just implied.
I prefer to think he's too busy boning various mistresses to pay attention to what's going on in his own home.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Swiss Family Robinson (1960). A bunch of Europeans refuse to adapt to circumstances and insist on imposing their way of life on a South Pacific island that is somehow full of animals from Africa.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I love love love those Harryhausen flicks based on old myths. They approximate the experience of reading comics for me so much better than the current CGI movies.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

now THAT is a good movie ^
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 6:00pm
tepista wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 5:42pm
revbob wrote:
08 Jul 2017, 5:21pm
tepista wrote:
18 Apr 2016, 4:06pm

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) Mary Elizabeth Winstead (whom I shall refer to as MEW from this day forward) wakes up from a car accident chained to a wall in John Goodman's doom bunker. He tells her the world as we know it has ceased to exist. She doesn't believe him. If that's all you've heard of this one keep it that way and enjoy the ride. From producer JJ Abrams (Felicity). I thought it was a blast. and I love MEW (Death Proof, Black Christmas '06)
More insomnia last night so I watched this. Pretty entertaining. It took me a few minutes to realize that was Nikki Swango aka MEW aka her real name in the lead actress role. Its hard to not look at the screen when she's on.

Anyone watching that series Braindead that she was in?
No but I think she's in the latest season of Fargo, which is probably the next series I'm going to start (or is that what youre talking about?)
Yeah she kills it as Nikki Swango in the latest season if Fargo. I'd never quite noticed her before.
So many shows to watch a guy can easlity fall behind, but I watched the first 2 eps of Fargo S3 yesterday, and fuck a duck, it's fucking OUTSTANDING (so far). And my adoration of MEW grows.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 1:36pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) Mary Elizabeth Winstead (whom I shall refer to as MEW from this day forward) wakes up from a car accident chained to a wall in John Goodman's doom bunker. He tells her the world as we know it has ceased to exist. She doesn't believe him. If that's all you've heard of this one keep it that way and enjoy the ride. From producer JJ Abrams (Felicity). I thought it was a blast. and I love MEW (Death Proof, Black Christmas '06)
More insomnia last night so I watched this. Pretty entertaining. It took me a few minutes to realize that was Nikki Swango aka MEW aka her real name in the lead actress role. Its hard to not look at the screen when she's on.

No but I think she's in the latest season of Fargo, which is probably the next series I'm going to start (or is that what youre talking about?)
Yeah she kills it as Nikki Swango in the latest season if Fargo. I'd never quite noticed her before.
So many shows to watch a guy can easlity fall behind, but I watched the first 2 eps of Fargo S3 yesterday, and fuck a duck, it's fucking OUTSTANDING (so far). And my adoration of MEW grows.
You will not be disappointed. She's amazing.

Also, whoever does makeup for that show deserves an Emmy right now. They managed to make Ewan MacGregor look ugly not once, but twice.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 2:40pm
Also, whoever does makeup for that show deserves an Emmy right now. They managed to make Ewan MacGregor look ugly not once, but twice.
The conversation between my wife and I about me not believing that was the same person. And also me not know who the guy was anyway.
"You never saw Trainspotting?"
"Well yeah, but 20 years ago"
and so forth

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:

You will not be disappointed. She's amazing.
I saw her butt! :approve:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

tepista wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 2:50pm
JennyB wrote:
The conversation between my wife and I about me not believing that was the same person. And also me not know who the guy was anyway.
"You never saw Trainspotting?"
"Well yeah, but 20 years ago"
and so forth
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 1:36pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:

Yeah same here. I've been watching BrainDead which she stars in. Not the greatest show but still pretty entertaining. Never knew it was on regular TV.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 7:02pm

Yeah same here. I've been watching BrainDead which she stars in. Not the greatest show but still pretty entertaining. Never knew it was on regular TV.
Shit, that looks interesting, but I'm behind on so many damned shows. Like I said, I only started Fargo yesterday. She was also in this horror-ish thing a few years ago, which I also hadn't seen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230780/?re ... lmg_act_10

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 7:13pm
revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 7:02pm

Shit, that looks interesting, but I'm behind on so many damned shows. Like I said, I only started Fargo yesterday. She was also in this horror-ish thing a few years ago, which I also hadn't seen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230780/?re ... lmg_act_10
Yeah I've seen that in my Netflix feed or something. Might give it a go. I don't have too many shows I'm watching at this point other than the Preacher and for some reason the Strain (i guess im hoping the kid does a gorrible death). Im guessimg he will to sort of redeem himself for being such a dick.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Detroit(2017) Katherine Bigelows vision of the Detroit Riots in 1967. I have to say the film has some really tense moments. Remember the actor who played the son in We Are The Millers? He gives a scary performance as a brutal cop.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 7:23pm

Yeah I've seen that in my Netflix feed or something. Might give it a go. I don't have too many shows I'm watching at this point other than the Preacher and for some reason the Strain (i guess im hoping the kid does a gorrible death). Im guessimg he will to sort of redeem himself for being such a dick.
Preacher is my fucking fave, and I love Strain also, though I've yet to start this season. Saw ep 3 of Fargo, the LA one, this season could be shaping up to be the best. Wife and I are predicting Emmys!