movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: movies

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 2:15am
I've been in the mood to rewatch a couple of films with Leo in for a while: Django Unchained and the Departed.
Django was good and it helped that he was also a hate able character in the movie.

The Departed was like a bad cartoon to me. Damon was good but the rest were awful as I recall possibly the worst role Nicholson has ever done.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 8:48am
Silent Majority wrote:
I've been in the mood to rewatch a couple of films with Leo in for a while: Django Unchained and the Departed.
Django was good and it helped that he was also a hate able character in the movie.

The Departed was like a bad cartoon to me. Damon was good but the rest were awful as I recall possibly the worst role Nicholson has ever done.
Yeah I don’t get the love for Departed either. The original was vastly superior so it seems weird to even bother with h Th e remake.

Leo is so good in Django. I’ve rarely enjoyed him in anything but was clearly having a ball in that role.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 10:09am
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Yeah I don’t get the love for Departed either. The original was vastly superior so it seems weird to even bother with h Th e remake.
I've seen The Departed twice. The first was because of the positive buzz, the second to figure out why I didn't really like it the first time. I didn't get an answer, but I'm not inclined for a third try.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 10:36am
matedog wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 10:09am
revbob wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I've seen The Departed twice. The first was because of the positive buzz, the second to figure out why I didn't really like it the first time. I didn't get an answer, but I'm not inclined for a third try.
Scorcese is great and all but it was awful, would never bother to watch it again. Were the characters meant to be so cartoonish. I think the Boston accent is one of the harder ones for an actor/actress to pull off and when done poorly it is painful to listen to, even more painful than the real thing.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 6:24am
I needed some cheering up so I finally watched this tonight and it super did the trick. Highly recommended for Wolt, Flex, and others who love this shit:
Oh yeah, I backed this film's kickstarter. LOVE the movie. It's not something that would pass Doc's test of historical analysis test, but it's a wonderful loveletter to the scene and makes a good case for the scene's inclusiveness and sense of plurality.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

My memory is terrible. Just reread the first 50 pages of this thread and I'm talking about loads of films I have zero memory of watching.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 1:34pm
My memory is terrible. Just reread the first 50 pages of this thread and I'm talking about loads of films I have zero memory of watching.
That's fucking awesome.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 5:52pm
Heston wrote:
That's fucking awesome.
My past self is giving me tips on what I should watch, it's great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 6:36pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
That's fucking awesome.
Yeah but can trust yourself?

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 6:37pm
Heston wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 6:36pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:
That's fucking awesome.
Yeah but can trust yourself?
Well I started tonight and my recommendation hit the spot.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 12:44pm
Kory wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 6:24am
I needed some cheering up so I finally watched this tonight and it super did the trick. Highly recommended for Wolt, Flex, and others who love this shit:
Oh yeah, I backed this film's kickstarter. LOVE the movie. It's not something that would pass Doc's test of historical analysis test, but it's a wonderful loveletter to the scene and makes a good case for the scene's inclusiveness and sense of plurality.
I thought the same thing. I’m going to show it to Maggie this weekend even though she doesn’t know much about the scene. The movie is strong enough that you don’t really have to, I think.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Is it hipster contrarianism to prefer Batman 89 to Dark Knight? I find the mood and storytelling to be so much better and Keaton to have loads of charisma on top of Bale. And please no one from the nerd den chime in about "Batman doesn't kill people..."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 2:37pm
Is it hipster contrarianism to prefer Batman 89 to Dark Knight? I find the mood and storytelling to be so much better and Keaton to have loads of charisma on top of Bale. And please no one from the nerd den chime in about "Batman doesn't kill people..."
I think it's just part of the pendulum swinging to re-evaluate these things over time. The grimdark shtick has gotten old and I think there's more appreciation for how funnin' Tim burton actually got with those movies. I'm still a Batman '66 guy, tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 2:39pm
matedog wrote:
I think it's just part of the pendulum swinging to re-evaluate these things over time. The grimdark shtick has gotten old and I think there's more appreciation for how funnin' Tim burton actually got with those movies. I'm still a Batman '66 guy, tho.
There was just so much attention to Ledger's Joker that I don't think most realize that it's basically a few great scenes that just sort of come and go without any real flow.

Weird note, I LOVED 89 when it came out as a six year old. My only other outlet for more Batman at the time was the Adam West Batman which I similarly fell in love with which makes NO damn sense.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 2:39pm
matedog wrote:
The problem is people (well, comic book nerds) have a problem of separating their preferred version of a character with their believe that there is only one correct version. I prefer the darker one but that doesn't mean the goofy 1950s Batman is wrong. A character that is 80 years old has generated enough evidence to support any kind of characterization, so it's all legit as long as you're entertained.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft