movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: movies

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 9:43am
I saw the new Pet Sematary last night - the first version of the story I've ever consumed. Really creepy for 90% of it, with the very last part being tension killing slasher stuff.
So many otherwise decent horror films fall apart in the end.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

matedog wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 10:00am
Silent Majority wrote:
I saw the new Pet Sematary last night - the first version of the story I've ever consumed. Really creepy for 90% of it, with the very last part being tension killing slasher stuff.
You guys have to watch When a Stranger Calls Back.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Inder wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 12:13pm
matedog wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 10:00am
Silent Majority wrote:
You guys have to watch When a Stranger Calls Back.
Dammit, I've been meaning to, I will soon, I promise
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Mary, Queen of Scots. Meh. Great costumes, great acting, a little slow.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I agree about Ghost Dog being number 1.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

The Werewolf (1956) Gothic was out and science was in in the 50s, so here’s a story about a man who turns to wolf through scientific experiments rather than the traditional curse. An amnesiac in a small town turns in to a wolf and kills a would-be mugger before fleeing to the hills. The local police force is after him, but so is a mad scientist from one town over, bent on killing him in case he is caught and regains his memory. Nice classic furry face, clothes wearing wolfman in this one, good Drive-In style fun.

The Giant Claw (1957) A Giant bird-like creature from outer space is making planes disappear from the sky, and eventually starts picking people off the ground, and destroying buildings. I would probably say that the dramatic elements of this film are as good as any Sci-Fi from this time period, but this film has one thing going against it........The bird is just about the most ridiculous special effect you've ever seen. It looks like a Muppet version of a Turkey/Vulture with a mowhawk, and you can quite often see the strings. I read the the original intent was to have Ray Harryhausen do the effects, but due to budget restraints they ended up going with a marionette.

House 2: The Second Story (1987) A couple moves into a house where the laws of time and space don’t exist. The main character digs up his dead zombie cowboy grandfather who was buried with a crystal skull that ghosts from other dimensions want. They kept pets from the prehistoric dimension, a baby pterodactyl and a dog-caterpillar that I was expecting to become a dog-butterfly but it didn’t. Laar Park Lincoln who played the Carrie-like character in F13 part 7 was the girlfriend. Amy Yasbeck danced in her underwear in an early scene, and the movie never got better. This type of fantasy/horror just isn’t my bag, I would never watch this again.

Scanners (1981)
A powerful renegade telepath (Michael Ironside) is out to kill corporate telepaths. An outsider telepath tries to help and uncovers conspiracies. Not my favorite Cronenberg movie, in fact, despite having seen this probably twice over the decades I remembered exactly zero from this movie, with the exception of arguably the greatest head explosion in cinema history. There were some fantastic make-up FX in the climactic scene, but none of Cronenberg’s signature perverted sex.

The Bloodstained Butterfly (1971) A schoolgirl is killed in the park. The majority of the film is a courtroom drama with eyewitnesses trying to put the suspect behind bars. After they do, the killings continue. Mediocre giallo with not particularly memorable characters, practically no nudity to speak of, and to top it off I didn’t like the score. It sounded like the Days of Our Lives soap opera theme. I’d say skip it.

Perfect Strangers (1984) When his European cousin Balki comes to stay…no wait, that’s not it! A three year old witnesses a mob stabbing in a New York alley so the killer, who seems like a nice guy, warms up to the single mom (Liquid Sky’s Anne Carlisle) so he can get close enough to the kid to kill him. There’s also a jealous ex-husband in the mix, and best friend who’s a gung-ho feminist. Not Larry Cohen’s best, but The Stuff would be his next.

The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 1:
C.H.U.D. (1984)
The cast of Home Alone fights “Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers” (aka mutated homeless people) and an evil government cover-up under the streets of New York. I think this movie is fondly remembered because of the cute title, potentially cool premise and a good VHS cover, but it’s dull, sexless, and not a lot of creature action for a creature feature. There’s a few severed dummy heads sprinkled along for good measure.

Castle Freak (1995) Director Stuart Gordon reunites Re-Animator/From Beyond stars Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton. They play an American couple with a blind teenage daughter who inherits an Italian mansion. While staying there to liquidate the assets, the abandoned, tormented man-creature that has been locked in the dungeon for decades escapes his shackles (by biting off his own thumb) and puts the family and others in danger. How the “freak” was so strong despite being malnourished for his entire life was a head scratcher (Crazy Strength?), but this movie was just plain fun. Gory, creepy, and some nudity from a hooker that dropped by. This had a feel of eurosleaze movies that I enjoy so much, very good stuff.

The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 2:
Q (1982)
One of the most unique and original creature features you'll find, directed by the great Larry Cohen (It's Alive, God Told Me To). The tagline reads "It's name is Quetzalcoatl... just call it Q, that's all you'll have time to say before it tears you apart!" A winged serpent is flying around New York City picking sunbathers and construction workers from rooftops and dropping bloody body parts on the onlookers below. At the same time ritual sacrifices are taking place around the city and detective David Carradine, to his own disbelief, connects the two cases coming to the conclusion that the killer bird is a god summoned by an ancient Aztec. Meanwhile, two-bit hustler Michael Moriarty finds the bird's nest while running from the law, in the hollowed out top of the Chrysler building, which was under renovation. First he uses it to make some mob enemies disappear, then uses the information to blackmail the city by withholding this info from cops. Richard "Shaft" Roundtree plays another cop. For a reason I can't figure out, baseball player Ron Cey plays a cop as well in his only film credit. This is a great script and very well acted (especially Moriarty) for a movie of this sort. Highly recommended.

Society (1989) Beverly Hills high school basketball captain Billy (despite being shorter than anyone else in the entire movie) becomes paranoid when it appear his sisters “coming out party” was a cover for an Illuminati-type sex orgy, parents included. He does let his guard down long enough to get seduced by the hottest chick in school (Playboy Playmate Devin DeVasquez, who provides A+ nudity). Brian Yuza’s directorial debut is a fun satire on the upper class, and though the plot was often nonsensical, the special effects were outrageous and well worth a watch. The last 20 minutes or so was a nonstop barrage of gooey, melty, flesh twisted in every direction, making it a minor body horror classic.

The Guest (2014) Adam Wingard (You’re Next) directs this highly entertaining movie about a soldier (Downton Abbey’s Dan Stevens) who comes to stay with the family of his deceased platoon member. He appears to be a nice guy in front of the family, but then he starts committing acts of violence against people who have wronged the family, and might even be some sort of “super-soldier”. Maika Monroe (It Follows) plays the sister, the first one who suggests that their guest might not be the person he claims to be, and that’s when the situation becomes dangerous. Over the top action, campiness and goth soundtrack make this movie a complete blast. RECOMMENDED.

Ghostwatch (1992) This was a BBC special that aired on Halloween in 1992 about a news program covering a haunted house, and it is REALLY ahead of its time. I mean there’s a dozen movies that follow this format. As for the plot, look no further than The Conjuring 2, with a Brit single mom, two girls, an angry spirit, and hoax accusations. Again, considering the time this was made, this is some really good and original stuff.

4D Man (1959) A scientist finds a way to make his body able to pass through solid matter. At first he uses his new power for kicks, but soon realizes that a side effect is rapid aging. Then he discovers he can also suck the youth from humans he passes through, and that when the killing starts! 1955’s Miss America and future Catwoman Lee Merriwether is the love interest, and a 12-year old, pre-Oscar Patty Duke plays a little girl. There’s a constant, loud jazz score throughout. From the director of the previous year’s sci-fi smash hit, The Blob.

The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs: Week 3
Deathgasm (2015)
Brodie is a nerdy metalhead who’s miserable teenage life consists of living with his churchy aunt and uncle (after his mom goes to prison for meth), regularly getting beat up by his jock cousin, and playing Dungeons & Dragons with his not-as-metal-as-he-is friends. Then he meets Zakk, a thrill-seeking metalhead who breaks in to the home of an aging metal legend and steals some sheet music. When they attempt to play it with their newly formed garage band, Deathgasm, the music unleashes a Demon Apocalypse that has them running from bloodthirsty, possessed locals, as well as Illuminati-types who welcome the evil takeover. All this just when the pretty blond who liked Brodie was about to undertake a metal makeover! Gory gut-wrenching fun, in the style of Evil Dead 2 and Dead-Alive, and like the latter, from New Zealand. Two sets of boobs, a prosthetic dong, and dozens of dildos. RECOMMENDED!

The Changeling (1980) George C. Scott is a composer who leaves New York City when his family is killed in an accident to morn quietly in an old mansion in Seattle. With the help of his busy-body real estate agent, he uncovers an elaborate, decades-old murder after it would seem a spirit in the house asks for his help. Generally regarded as one of the better haunted house movies. It is. Look for the iconic ball-rolling-down-the-stairs scene.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

A woman at work went to a midnight showing of Avengers, didn't get to bed til 5am. She was wrecked. I said to her, which ones died? The lady sitting to her left freaked out hilariously to not hear any spoilers.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 2:46am
The Changeling (1980) George C. Scott is a composer who leaves New York City when his family is killed in an accident to morn quietly in an old mansion in Seattle. With the help of his busy-body real estate agent, he uncovers an elaborate, decades-old murder after it would seem a spirit in the house asks for his help. Generally regarded as one of the better haunted house movies. It is. Look for the iconic ball-rolling-down-the-stairs scene.
I'm sure we've talked about this one before. I saw it in the theatre when it came out—my cousin and I snuck out and his sister ratted us out—and it scared the bejeebers out of me. When I saw it again, it was still creepy as fuck. Damned good flick.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
Scanners (1981) A powerful renegade telepath (Michael Ironside) is out to kill corporate telepaths. An outsider telepath tries to help and uncovers conspiracies. Not my favorite Cronenberg movie, in fact, despite having seen this probably twice over the decades I remembered exactly zero from this movie, with the exception of arguably the greatest head explosion in cinema history. There were some fantastic make-up FX in the climactic scene, but none of Cronenberg’s signature perverted sex.
It doesn't help that Stephen Lack is a terrible actor.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 1:51pm
tepista wrote:
I'm sure we've talked about this one before. I saw it in the theatre when it came out—my cousin and I snuck out and his sister ratted us out—and it scared the bejeebers out of me. When I saw it again, it was still creepy as fuck. Damned good flick.
My brother and I loved that movie as kids. Saw it again a few years back. :scared:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 1:51pm
tepista wrote:
My brother and I loved that movie as kids. Saw it again a few years back. :scared:
Whenever I meet someone named Joseph, I consistently flash to that movie. Watching those kinds of movies as a kid are superb for having that kind of lifelong effect.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 1:37pm
A woman at work went to a midnight showing of Avengers, didn't get to bed til 5am. She was wrecked. I said to her, which ones died? The lady sitting to her left freaked out hilariously to not hear any spoilers.
25.25W went to see it yesterday. He is a 16 year old boy and they can’t go 3 hours without eating and didn’t want to be ripped off by the cinema so he made a pizza for him and his mates and smuggled it in.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

A film I did really like was The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Finally, Tom Waits plays an old timey prospector.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 2:02pm
tepista wrote:
Scanners (1981) A powerful renegade telepath (Michael Ironside) is out to kill corporate telepaths. An outsider telepath tries to help and uncovers conspiracies. Not my favorite Cronenberg movie, in fact, despite having seen this probably twice over the decades I remembered exactly zero from this movie, with the exception of arguably the greatest head explosion in cinema history. There were some fantastic make-up FX in the climactic scene, but none of Cronenberg’s signature perverted sex.
It doesn't help that Stephen Lack is a terrible actor.
More like Stephen Lacks TALENT! burn.