movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: movies

Post by 101Walterton »

daredevil wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 9:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 9:21pm
daredevil wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 9:47pm
Went to see Yesterday tricked by my family who said it was comedy not a Romcom which I usually hate.
Anyway was quite good but as I am not into sci-fi I overthink things apparently.
Can someone clarify please. I thought the joke when he Googled Oasis and they didn’t exist was because if the Beatles didn’t exist then Oasis couldn’t have existed. A good gag.
But what didn’t make sense was that when he won the school talent show as a kid he played Wonderwall???
Hey 101, here's my thoughts:
The global blackout erased many things from history. The main character (and the other two people) still remembered all the rock bands, products, movies, ect. that existed before the blackout. So his memory of the high school talent show remained the same.
Yeah that was what I was kinda thinking but then if the Beatles did exist but were erased from memory how come John Lennon was still alive? It would make sense for John to be alive if the Beatles never happened but...
it could be the alternate universe theory. The blackout caused the world to freeze and jump to an alternate universe where the Beatles never existed.
The main character and the other two people were not affected by the blackout and still remembered all the things from the old universe.
That’s where I don’t get sci-fi :huh:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 10:42pm
daredevil wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 9:50pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 9:21pm
daredevil wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 5:19pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 9:47pm
Went to see Yesterday tricked by my family who said it was comedy not a Romcom which I usually hate.
Anyway was quite good but as I am not into sci-fi I overthink things apparently.
Can someone clarify please. I thought the joke when he Googled Oasis and they didn’t exist was because if the Beatles didn’t exist then Oasis couldn’t have existed. A good gag.
But what didn’t make sense was that when he won the school talent show as a kid he played Wonderwall???
Hey 101, here's my thoughts:
The global blackout erased many things from history. The main character (and the other two people) still remembered all the rock bands, products, movies, ect. that existed before the blackout. So his memory of the high school talent show remained the same.
Yeah that was what I was kinda thinking but then if the Beatles did exist but were erased from memory how come John Lennon was still alive? It would make sense for John to be alive if the Beatles never happened but...
it could be the alternate universe theory. The blackout caused the world to freeze and jump to an alternate universe where the Beatles never existed.
The main character and the other two people were not affected by the blackout and still remembered all the things from the old universe.
That’s where I don’t get sci-fi :huh:
Says the man from the future.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kory wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 7:30pm
Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 7:04pm
Just watched Dead Man's Shoes again for the first time in years. Films don't get much more British than this. Superb performance by Paddy Considine.
I love that guy.
Saw him not that long ago in a film called "My Summer of Love" and he was fantastic. He truly is a great - yet underrated - actor.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 6:25pm
Kory wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 7:30pm
Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 7:04pm
Just watched Dead Man's Shoes again for the first time in years. Films don't get much more British than this. Superb performance by Paddy Considine.
I love that guy.
Saw him not that long ago in a film called "My Summer of Love" and he was fantastic. He truly is a great - yet underrated - actor.
He has a small role in Death of Stalin that I'm quite fond of, too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Happy Death Day 2 U (2019) Unneeded sequel the surprise 2017 hit. Our heroine wakes up in her same “Groundhog Day” loop that she escaped in the first film, and this time traces it back to quantum physics or something. The comedy that worked in the first film was flat here. I was only 15 minutes in when I realized I couldn’t wait for it to end. The girl's cuteness might have been enough to carry a thin plot the first time around, but it hit the end quick this time.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah join the party in the latest mega-budget version of Godzilla. The fight scenes were great. I really don’t think Kaju films should be 2 hours and 12 minutes. I had a good time, but I suspect this won’t be as good on a small screen. Coach Taylor, Mrs. Bates, Eleven, the Get Out Dad, and the Fish-Fucker from Shape of Water play the humans. Michael Dougherty (Trick ‘r Treat, Krampus) directs. The Godzilla March, The Mothra Theme, and several other renewed pieces of music show up in the end credits, even a bad cover Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla

The Dead Don’t Die (2019) Jim Jarmusch’s All-Star Zombedy is loaded with satire and breaks the 4th wall one too many times, but once it gets rolling it’s pretty funny and entertaining. Small town cops wonder what to do during the zombie outbreak is the basic plot. I won’t sit here and name everyone who’s in it, but Tilda Swinton shines as usual, and Caleb Landry Jones (Get Out) was pretty likable.

Amsterdamned (1988) Very good late 80s Dutch giallo. A scuba-geared killer is terrorizing the canals of Amsterdam, and keeping one step ahead of the cop on his trail. The opening kill of the film had a knifed-up hooker hanging from a bridge, and dragged across a glass ceiling boat filled with schoolchildren that passed by. That scene alone was worth the price of admission. A very exciting boat chase later on in the movie too. I liked the characters and it wasn't dull. 2nd time for me.

Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (1971) Sleazy Florida Indie about a homosexual couple hiding out in Miami from the law over an old lady they robbed and murdered in Baltimore. Paul dresses in drag and teenage Stanley acts more like a rebellious kid than a partner. He wants to do coke and weed with chicks, but when he brings them home, Paul erupts into a homicidal rage! Add a middle-aged junkie who knows their secret and blackmails them for a place to live, and a busybody neighbor who knocks on the door several times a day and there’s rarely a dull moment to be had. Nudity yes, and blood too.

Dolls (1987) A couple with young daughter, and a traveler with two punk-chick hitch-hikers seek refuge from a storm in a strange old house where an elderly couple make dolls that come to life and kill. Executive producer Charles Band would like Guy Rolfe so much as a doll maker, that he brought him back to play Toulon in four Puppet Master movies a few years later. This was the third Stuart Gordon/Brian Yuzna project right after Re-Animator and From Beyond. Nice and quick at 77 minutes, I saw this fun movie in the theater way back when!

Thirst (2009) Chanwook Park of the Vengeance trilogy brings this story of a priest who contracts an infectious disease as a missionary. He becomes a vampire after a blood transfusion and finds that drinking blood suppresses the sickness. He stays at the home of a childhood friend, but falls in love with his wife. He eventually turns her, but while he drank blood without killing, his new protégé doesn’t share the same values. A bit long at 2 hours and 15 minutes, but this is a top notch vampire flick. With nudity. 2nd watch for me, but about 10 years between.

Thirst (1979) Weird Aussie Vampire pic, about a secret society of vampire/scientists who keep a human blood farm and recruit people into their lifestyle. They kidnap a young woman and tell her she is a direct descendant of Countess Bathory, and train her by force to consume blood in everything she eats or drinks. Then there's several surreal, dream-like sequences where blood comes from faucets, walls, and most anything else you can think of. Familiar faces include prolific character actor Henry Silva, and David Hemmings of Deep Red fame. One of the weirdest movies I have ever seen.

The Transfiguration (2016) Milo is a teenage outcast in inner city New York. No friends, tortures animals (or at least “not anymore”), and is obsessed with all things related to vampires. So much that he bites people and drinks their blood. He meets a girl, has a run in with neighborhood gangstas, etc. I won’t go into detail, but I thought this movie was OUTSTANDING and I highly recommend it. It kind of made me think of George Romero’s Martin, which actually got name-checked in the film, as well as about a dozen other vampire movies. 2nd time watch for me, I think I can now say that this is damned near a masterpiece.

Boar (2017) A pig the size of a rhino is mauling people in the Australian outback. Worth a one time watch, nothing more or less. Ozploitation veteran John Jarrat stars.

Party Hard, Die Young (2018) Austrian slasher about a graduation class getting picked off at a summer island festival. Some blood, a little nudity. Not bad. Subtitles.

Hagazussa (2017) German period piece about a woman living with her newborn in the middle of the forest, who must overcome the “witch” taunts of the nearby villagers. One of the slowest paced movies I’ve ever seen; some things do happen, but they sure take forever. There’s so little dialog in this that I found it hard to become engaged, in fact, my first attempt was 20 minutes in when I realized I didn’t know what the hell was going on. I tried again a couple weeks later and made it through uninterrupted, and it was pretty good, but I doubt I’d give it a second go around.

Demoniac (2015) Some young adults go to a long-abandoned murder house to invoke spirits and end up mostly dead. Cops interrogate the survivor and the story goes back and forth from present to yesterday when the deaths occurred. Dull characters make for an unmemorable movie.

SheBorg (2016) A Trust-Fund Anarchist and her girlfriend are stirring up trouble for local cops when they come across the title character, who was banished from space, lands on earth and assimilates all whom she encounters. Now it’s time for young punk chicks to save the world! This Aussie Indie with a minimal budget has a few laughs and a few buckets of blood. Don’t expect too much and you might be entertained.

The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960) Hammer’s take on the classic about the doctor who makes a potion that causes man’s true, primal self to come forth. Paul Massie plays the doctor, who loses his facial hair when he turns into Hyde, and his primary goal is to sleep with own wife, who cheats on him with Christopher Lee! Massey was OK in the title role, nowhere near the charisma of Lee, or even Ollie Reed, who has a small part in this as well.

Targets (1968) Peter Bogdanavich's (Last Picture Show, Mask) classic directorial debut. The story goes that Boris Karloff owed Roger Corman a day or 2 of shooting, so he tells Bogdanovich to use that, along with footage of a Karloff throwaway flick called the Terror and and a week or so with other actors and do what you can. What we get is Karloff basically playing himself, Byron Orlack, a veteran horror actor who is tired of his profession because real life newspaper headlines are more terrifying than the Gothic horror roles he's been playing for decades. Bogdanovich himself plays a film director who tries to convince Karloff to make one more movie. Nancy Hsueh played Boris' secretary. Unfortunately, this lovely woman died in real life at the age of 39. In an unrelated plot based heavily on Charles Whitman (who shot and killed over a dozen people on the campus at the University of Texas), an all-American young man kills his family, then goes on a random shooting spree in the L.A. Valley. The two stories come together in the end in this classic of modern horror. It would have been nice for Karloff to call this gem his last film, but he has a few posthumously released cheapies he made down in Mexico following this. Highly Recommended.
Last edited by tepista on 19 Jul 2019, 7:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

double
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Watched the Green Mile again t'other night, was reminded after a few years how flawless it is. Gonna do Shawshank again tomorrow.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 8:05pm
Watched the Green Mile again t'other night, was reminded after a few years how flawless it is. Gonna do Shawshank again tomorrow.
Never saw Green Mile. Shawshank was great.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Easy to regard them as overrated (and overplayed), but both are solid adaptations of King at his most relatable.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 8:07pm
Heston wrote:
:eek:

If you like Shawshank it's given you'll like TGM.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 8:23pm
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

Some movies I just need to find tome to watch on my own and I haven't worked that one in yet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

My only objection to TGM is that it's really fucking long. Not fatally so, but it is an investment of one's time.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 8:36pm
Heston wrote:
revbob wrote:
Heston wrote:

My only objection to TGM is that it's really fucking long. Not fatally so, but it is an investment of one's time.
I actually watched it in two parts on following nights, didn't detract.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

12 Angry Men is on right now, one of those flicks that I can't not watch. It can be criticized for normalizing the power of white men and exaggerating rationality, and for its triumphalist take on values that are rarely upheld, but it's hard to think of a better example of promotion of liberal civic mythology (in a good way). Individuals coming together, using logic to overcome emotion and prejudice, to affirm institutions that maintain liberty.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 4:34pm
12 Angry Men is on right now, one of those flicks that I can't not watch. It can be criticized for normalizing the power of white men and exaggerating rationality, and for its triumphalist take on values that are rarely upheld, but it's hard to think of a better example of promotion of liberal civic mythology (in a good way). Individuals coming together, using logic to overcome emotion and prejudice, to affirm institutions that maintain liberty.
love, love, love that movie
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!