Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JoseUnidos
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1052
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 8:52am

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by JoseUnidos » 08 Oct 2016, 3:27pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:Anyone else affected by hurricane Matthew? We live on a barrier island east of Savannah and got outa town on Thurs. after they called for a mandatory evacuation of the coast, so we're hunkered down in a hotel in Waynesboro GA. For now we're just waiting to get the all-clear to head back but it may be a while until emergency crews clear the roads of downed trees & power lines and re-inspect the bridges. Not sure what we'll be looking at when we get back - what video we've seen today from our area shows tons of uprooted trees & busted power lines, and I can't imagne the power's coming back on anytime soon. Worst part so far? Being stuck in Waynesboro (although there's one of those mega-Walmarts just down the road that sells cheese and cheap booze so at least we got that going for us).
Have you had to evacuate often in the past? That is, I'm curious whether your experience is such that this is of a freaking out variety or more of a ho-hum, this again. I personally can't imagine not shitting bricks during a hurricane, but coastal people must develop a certain nonchalance, as unfathomable as that may seem.
We've only evacuated once before, for Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and that was a far more nerve racking experience - we'd just bought a house & stuffed it with new furniture but still had a shitty car that was hardly road trip-worthy. After several hours of frantic calls looking for a hotel we ended up in Black Mountain NC (a 7 hr drive, half of whch was spent sitting in gridlock). In the end Floyd went to the north of us, smacking SC instead. Ever since I've had a nagging undercurrent of unease about this kind of stuff - the threat is always there, and it's gonna happen eventually. Nowadays I'm far less hung up on the potential loss of material things. It's just stuff, you know? We're still in the same house (that, ironically, we were getting ready get a new roof for) and have much of the same now-old furniture; more dependable wheels, though. Evac this time was far easier - we found & booked a place several days in advance & were on the road a day ahead of the worst of the traffic. There was really no question of whether we'd stay put & ride it out, or leave - I'm far too much of a weenie to put up with several days of no power with a tree parked on my roof.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Oct 2016, 3:44pm

JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:Anyone else affected by hurricane Matthew? We live on a barrier island east of Savannah and got outa town on Thurs. after they called for a mandatory evacuation of the coast, so we're hunkered down in a hotel in Waynesboro GA. For now we're just waiting to get the all-clear to head back but it may be a while until emergency crews clear the roads of downed trees & power lines and re-inspect the bridges. Not sure what we'll be looking at when we get back - what video we've seen today from our area shows tons of uprooted trees & busted power lines, and I can't imagne the power's coming back on anytime soon. Worst part so far? Being stuck in Waynesboro (although there's one of those mega-Walmarts just down the road that sells cheese and cheap booze so at least we got that going for us).
Have you had to evacuate often in the past? That is, I'm curious whether your experience is such that this is of a freaking out variety or more of a ho-hum, this again. I personally can't imagine not shitting bricks during a hurricane, but coastal people must develop a certain nonchalance, as unfathomable as that may seem.
We've only evacuated once before, for Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and that was a far more nerve racking experience - we'd just bought a house & stuffed it with new furniture but still had a shitty car that was hardly road trip-worthy. After several hours of frantic calls looking for a hotel we ended up in Black Mountain NC (a 7 hr drive, half of whch was spent sitting in gridlock). In the end Floyd went to the north of us, smacking SC instead. Ever since I've had a nagging undercurrent of unease about this kind of stuff - the threat is always there, and it's gonna happen eventually. Nowadays I'm far less hung up on the potential loss of material things. It's just stuff, you know? We're still in the same house (that, ironically, we were getting ready get a new roof for) and have much of the same now-old furniture; more dependable wheels, though. Evac this time was far easier - we found & booked a place several days in advance & were on the road a day ahead of the worst of the traffic. There was really no question of whether we'd stay put & ride it out, or leave - I'm far too much of a weenie to put up with several days of no power with a tree parked on my roof.
What a curiously non-materialistic stance for an artist. ;) More seriously, glad that your circumstances are such that you were able to get out reliably and well in advance. The idea of evacuation seriously wigs me out.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by JennyB » 10 Oct 2016, 9:32am

JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:Anyone else affected by hurricane Matthew? We live on a barrier island east of Savannah and got outa town on Thurs. after they called for a mandatory evacuation of the coast, so we're hunkered down in a hotel in Waynesboro GA. For now we're just waiting to get the all-clear to head back but it may be a while until emergency crews clear the roads of downed trees & power lines and re-inspect the bridges. Not sure what we'll be looking at when we get back - what video we've seen today from our area shows tons of uprooted trees & busted power lines, and I can't imagne the power's coming back on anytime soon. Worst part so far? Being stuck in Waynesboro (although there's one of those mega-Walmarts just down the road that sells cheese and cheap booze so at least we got that going for us).
Have you had to evacuate often in the past? That is, I'm curious whether your experience is such that this is of a freaking out variety or more of a ho-hum, this again. I personally can't imagine not shitting bricks during a hurricane, but coastal people must develop a certain nonchalance, as unfathomable as that may seem.
We've only evacuated once before, for Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and that was a far more nerve racking experience - we'd just bought a house & stuffed it with new furniture but still had a shitty car that was hardly road trip-worthy. After several hours of frantic calls looking for a hotel we ended up in Black Mountain NC (a 7 hr drive, half of whch was spent sitting in gridlock). In the end Floyd went to the north of us, smacking SC instead. Ever since I've had a nagging undercurrent of unease about this kind of stuff - the threat is always there, and it's gonna happen eventually. Nowadays I'm far less hung up on the potential loss of material things. It's just stuff, you know? We're still in the same house (that, ironically, we were getting ready get a new roof for) and have much of the same now-old furniture; more dependable wheels, though. Evac this time was far easier - we found & booked a place several days in advance & were on the road a day ahead of the worst of the traffic. There was really no question of whether we'd stay put & ride it out, or leave - I'm far too much of a weenie to put up with several days of no power with a tree parked on my roof.
That's not being a weenie, that's being smart. Glad to hear you are physically OK, and hopefully you won't return home to damage.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

JoseUnidos
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1052
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 8:52am

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by JoseUnidos » 10 Oct 2016, 7:22pm

JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:Anyone else affected by hurricane Matthew? We live on a barrier island east of Savannah and got outa town on Thurs. after they called for a mandatory evacuation of the coast, so we're hunkered down in a hotel in Waynesboro GA. For now we're just waiting to get the all-clear to head back but it may be a while until emergency crews clear the roads of downed trees & power lines and re-inspect the bridges. Not sure what we'll be looking at when we get back - what video we've seen today from our area shows tons of uprooted trees & busted power lines, and I can't imagne the power's coming back on anytime soon. Worst part so far? Being stuck in Waynesboro (although there's one of those mega-Walmarts just down the road that sells cheese and cheap booze so at least we got that going for us).
Have you had to evacuate often in the past? That is, I'm curious whether your experience is such that this is of a freaking out variety or more of a ho-hum, this again. I personally can't imagine not shitting bricks during a hurricane, but coastal people must develop a certain nonchalance, as unfathomable as that may seem.
We've only evacuated once before, for Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and that was a far more nerve racking experience - we'd just bought a house & stuffed it with new furniture but still had a shitty car that was hardly road trip-worthy. After several hours of frantic calls looking for a hotel we ended up in Black Mountain NC (a 7 hr drive, half of whch was spent sitting in gridlock). In the end Floyd went to the north of us, smacking SC instead. Ever since I've had a nagging undercurrent of unease about this kind of stuff - the threat is always there, and it's gonna happen eventually. Nowadays I'm far less hung up on the potential loss of material things. It's just stuff, you know? We're still in the same house (that, ironically, we were getting ready get a new roof for) and have much of the same now-old furniture; more dependable wheels, though. Evac this time was far easier - we found & booked a place several days in advance & were on the road a day ahead of the worst of the traffic. There was really no question of whether we'd stay put & ride it out, or leave - I'm far too much of a weenie to put up with several days of no power with a tree parked on my roof.
That's not being a weenie, that's being smart. Glad to hear you are physically OK, and hopefully you won't return home to damage.
Thanks, JennyB! We're headed back tomorrow (Tues) - the roads are clear & they're letting folks back into the area, & the power's back on in our neighborhood. Fingers crossed regarding house & property.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by JennyB » 11 Oct 2016, 9:57am

JoseUnidos wrote:
JennyB wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:Anyone else affected by hurricane Matthew? We live on a barrier island east of Savannah and got outa town on Thurs. after they called for a mandatory evacuation of the coast, so we're hunkered down in a hotel in Waynesboro GA. For now we're just waiting to get the all-clear to head back but it may be a while until emergency crews clear the roads of downed trees & power lines and re-inspect the bridges. Not sure what we'll be looking at when we get back - what video we've seen today from our area shows tons of uprooted trees & busted power lines, and I can't imagne the power's coming back on anytime soon. Worst part so far? Being stuck in Waynesboro (although there's one of those mega-Walmarts just down the road that sells cheese and cheap booze so at least we got that going for us).
Have you had to evacuate often in the past? That is, I'm curious whether your experience is such that this is of a freaking out variety or more of a ho-hum, this again. I personally can't imagine not shitting bricks during a hurricane, but coastal people must develop a certain nonchalance, as unfathomable as that may seem.
We've only evacuated once before, for Hurricane Floyd in 1999, and that was a far more nerve racking experience - we'd just bought a house & stuffed it with new furniture but still had a shitty car that was hardly road trip-worthy. After several hours of frantic calls looking for a hotel we ended up in Black Mountain NC (a 7 hr drive, half of whch was spent sitting in gridlock). In the end Floyd went to the north of us, smacking SC instead. Ever since I've had a nagging undercurrent of unease about this kind of stuff - the threat is always there, and it's gonna happen eventually. Nowadays I'm far less hung up on the potential loss of material things. It's just stuff, you know? We're still in the same house (that, ironically, we were getting ready get a new roof for) and have much of the same now-old furniture; more dependable wheels, though. Evac this time was far easier - we found & booked a place several days in advance & were on the road a day ahead of the worst of the traffic. There was really no question of whether we'd stay put & ride it out, or leave - I'm far too much of a weenie to put up with several days of no power with a tree parked on my roof.
That's not being a weenie, that's being smart. Glad to hear you are physically OK, and hopefully you won't return home to damage.
Thanks, JennyB! We're headed back tomorrow (Tues) - the roads are clear & they're letting folks back into the area, & the power's back on in our neighborhood. Fingers crossed regarding house & property.
Keeping fingers crossed too!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 23 Nov 2016, 8:34am

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/23/health/th ... index.html

Now you done made me terrified of catching THUNDERSNOW syphillis. :scared:
Image

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31914
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by tepista » 24 Dec 2016, 9:09pm

52 degrees at 5PM!!! come on, even you weirdos that live in New England must think this is ridiculously cold. I have some places to go tonight, but I'm thinking like forget it and stuff. What if my engine freezes?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 25 Dec 2016, 1:39am

tepista wrote:52 degrees at 5PM!!! come on, even you weirdos that live in New England must think this is ridiculously cold. I have some places to go tonight, but I'm thinking like forget it and stuff. What if my engine freezes?
On a related "Oh, poor you" note...my Florida bro and his new Alabama bride are up visiting my folks for Xmas. New sis-in-law was fascinated at the very concept of a snowblower. Like...she tried to describe to us what type of machine she thought it was...and I think she was mistakening it for a sod tiller. I literally just stared for about 30 seconds too long before finally saying:

"This notion fascinates me."

SiL: "What notion?"

Me: "The notion that there is anyone on earth for whom a snowblower is not a notion. I mean...desert people use snowblowers to dig out after a sandstorm." She's a doc at an urgent care facility...I asked if she'd heard any of the stories about stupid guys losing their fingers in a snowblower sticking their hand down the shaft to dislodge stuck snow.

SiL: "I've tended to people in woodchipper accidents. Why would you need to stick your hand down a snowblower?"

Me: "You don't. It's just a lot of people. . ."

SiL: "I mean, it's snow...all light and fluffy, right?"

Me: [awed silence]

SiL: "Here...let me get my phone and you can show me a snowblower on YouTube."

Me: [unbroken awe...forever]


At this point...my dad just puts down the paper, gets up from his recliner, and says "Here...I'll show you what a snowblower looks like." So we all trudge outside to the shed in the backyard, in the pitch black 4 hours after dark and throw open the doors where he's got his John Deere tractor parked with its gigantic-ass snowblower attachment that he uses to plow driveways.

SiL: "Oh, I see. So the little blade things spin and. . ."

[Me, sticking my whole arm down the chute] "And this is where you're not supposed to stick your arm except for stupid guys like your husband who do." She was fascinated that you could turn the crank and make the snow blow in the opposite direction. We took out his smaller (actually, pretty goddamn beastly) Troy-Bilt push snowblowers. The quarter-inch of slush on the ground had nearly totally melted, so we decided the only proper demonstration for the gobsmacked guest was to fire it up and floor it a few times into the compost heap. Which we did...again, in the pitch black, by sending a torrent of topsoil and crushed sticks raining through the air across the backyard. On Christmas Eve.

My dad [dirt chunks still raining as he cuts engine]: "That's a snowblower."

My sister had joined the power tools confab in the middle of the dark backyard by this point. "Yeah...I have my grandpa's hand-me-down snowblower. It's 60 years old. Sometimes when my gloves get stuck on the gear-shift for the power wheels it drags me behind it sliding on ice out into the middle of the street. It has chains on its tires."

SiL: "Chains?"

Sis: "Like that Ice Road Truckers show."

SiL: "Oh, yeah. I've seen that. So your snowblower has like all-wheel drive?"

Sis: "No. More like snow tires you put on your car."

Me: [seeing spots before my eyes]

Dad [boastfully]: "All-wheel drive is for people who don't know how to change into snow tires each fall."

SiL: "Wait. You have special snow tires on your car? Do those have the Ice Road chains built right into the rubber?"

Me: [losing consciousness]

Dad: "See. This is why the South calls a state of emergency every time they get a half-inch. 'Cause the people down there never learned to change snow tires."

SiL: "Nuh-uh! We get plenty of snow. There was that time 4 years ago we got 8 inches in Birmingham."

Me [somewhere on the ground, delerious from lack of oxygen to brain]: "8 inches where I come from is when it's almost time to ease up from 25 over the speed limit. Almost. . ."



This discussion went on for a few more minutes...in the pitch black of my parents' backyard on Christmas Eve...until my mom flicked the porch lights on and off again and yelled out that the Christmas Story Marathon was about to start repeating again.



Before the last air bubbles in my brain pop the blood vessel and I black out forever, I would just like to say...at 12:30am Xmas morning...that you remind me of that time I had the conversation with my new sister-in-law 2 hours ago in the pitch-black backyard about the very notion of a snowblower. The very notion that people don't have notions about things that need no notioning. Powerfully remind. :ugeek:
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Wolter » 26 Dec 2016, 4:30pm

I kind of resent the condescension for the south not being able to cope with snow. It happens like once every 2-3 years. Why on earth would bankrupt states spend infrastructure funds to prepare for that? Easier just to shut down for a day.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Spiff
User avatar
Mostly Nekkid
Posts: 3720
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:23am
Location: In the Spiff Bunker

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Spiff » 26 Dec 2016, 5:58pm

Wolter wrote:I kind of resent the condescension for the south not being able to cope with snow. It happens like once every 2-3 years. Why on earth would bankrupt states spend infrastructure funds to prepare for that? Easier just to shut down for a day.
Wolter, you missed the point of Ratty's story, which that Bostoners are superior to everyone, in every way, on every day of the year.

:mrgreen:
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Wolter » 26 Dec 2016, 6:23pm

Spiff wrote:
Wolter wrote:I kind of resent the condescension for the south not being able to cope with snow. It happens like once every 2-3 years. Why on earth would bankrupt states spend infrastructure funds to prepare for that? Easier just to shut down for a day.
Wolter, you missed the point of Ratty's story, which that Bostoners are superior to everyone, in every way, on every day of the year.

:mrgreen:
;)
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by BostonBeaneater » 27 Dec 2016, 12:21am

Wolter wrote:
Spiff wrote:
Wolter wrote:I kind of resent the condescension for the south not being able to cope with snow. It happens like once every 2-3 years. Why on earth would bankrupt states spend infrastructure funds to prepare for that? Easier just to shut down for a day.
Wolter, you missed the point of Ratty's story, which that Bostoners are superior to everyone, in every way, on every day of the year.

:mrgreen:
;)
Ain't heard a worthy counter argument yet, cuz.
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49247
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Wolter » 27 Dec 2016, 11:09am

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Spiff wrote:
Wolter wrote:I kind of resent the condescension for the south not being able to cope with snow. It happens like once every 2-3 years. Why on earth would bankrupt states spend infrastructure funds to prepare for that? Easier just to shut down for a day.
Wolter, you missed the point of Ratty's story, which that Bostoners are superior to everyone, in every way, on every day of the year.

:mrgreen:
;)
Ain't heard a worthy counter argument yet, cuz.
For non-Bostonians, Boston refutes itself.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 27 Dec 2016, 1:22pm

FWIW...my bro gave his bride a demo the next day on how to get hit in the face with a snowball. It was video-recorded for posterity.


I won't ever question her family's expertise in tornado-wrangling, however: http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 8&#p448438.
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26124
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Beaner's and Rattie's Weather Porn Thread

Post by Heston » 09 Jan 2017, 7:31pm

So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests