What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 77329
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 May 2010, 6:17pm

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote: I consider myself a Grandmaster of the perfect scrambled egg, but I will cross reference with this slightly dubious recipe (fucking chives?). The stirring part is obvious, I've always stirred my scrambled eggs continuously. I will report my findings within the next month.
I learned from my mother, who used a frying pan, using a spatula to move the mixture back and forth. This recipe involves far more agitation, which requires the saucepan. I also haven't used olive oil before, and that really comes through in the texture and taste.
I've found a wooden spoon is better for manipulation of the egg mixture. I've always used a saucepan too, though the olive oil is a new one on me, I've always used best butter.
I consider myself a bit of a maestro when it comes to scrambled eggs too, can't let 'em settle in the pan for more than 10-20 seconds if you don't want shitty brown burnt bits, wooden spoon is ideal for this, as far as adding anything, all they need is a drop of milk, knob of butter and a sprinkle of ground black pepper, I also drain before serving, nothing worse than that eggy water stuff making your toast soggy.. :(
A true maestro wouldn't need to drain, he would have found the perfect consistency within the allotted cooking time.

You have a lot to learn, Grasshopper.
With this, there was no brown and nothing to drain. I don't have any but the most rudimentary cooking skills, and the results were fluffy, moist, and delicious.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 5314
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Mimi » 22 May 2010, 6:18pm

I think I'm egged out but I wanna try this. Ain't got no chives or creme freche or sour cream for that matter. Oh shit, never mind. :angry:

Purple Hayes
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3855
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 7:54am
Location: Still scoring from corners..

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Purple Hayes » 22 May 2010, 6:19pm

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote: I consider myself a Grandmaster of the perfect scrambled egg, but I will cross reference with this slightly dubious recipe (fucking chives?). The stirring part is obvious, I've always stirred my scrambled eggs continuously. I will report my findings within the next month.
I learned from my mother, who used a frying pan, using a spatula to move the mixture back and forth. This recipe involves far more agitation, which requires the saucepan. I also haven't used olive oil before, and that really comes through in the texture and taste.
I've found a wooden spoon is better for manipulation of the egg mixture. I've always used a saucepan too, though the olive oil is a new one on me, I've always used best butter.
I consider myself a bit of a maestro when it comes to scrambled eggs too, can't let 'em settle in the pan for more than 10-20 seconds if you don't want shitty brown burnt bits, wooden spoon is ideal for this, as far as adding anything, all they need is a drop of milk, knob of butter and a sprinkle of ground black pepper, I also drain before serving, nothing worse than that eggy water stuff making your toast soggy.. :(
A true maestro wouldn't need to drain, he would have found the perfect consistency within the allotted cooking time.

You have a lot to learn, Grasshopper.
I always drain just in case, can't always trust my eyes first thing in the morning :mrgreen:

Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 77329
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 May 2010, 6:20pm

Purple Hayes wrote:Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
A complete substitution or just partial? I'm intrigued by this.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Purple Hayes
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3855
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 7:54am
Location: Still scoring from corners..

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Purple Hayes » 22 May 2010, 6:23pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
A complete substitution or just partial? I'm intrigued by this.
Straight swap, Soda instead of still water, I was dubious before I tried it but there's no doubt it works :mrgreen:
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28003
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Heston » 22 May 2010, 6:23pm

Purple Hayes wrote: Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
Does the application of soda water provide a seal?
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28003
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Heston » 22 May 2010, 6:28pm

Talking of Top-Tips, the new Viz book, "30 years of Top-tips" is just out. They printed a selection in the Sun last week, I was in stitches, I may look for a link to it
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 77329
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 May 2010, 6:30pm

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote: Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
Does the application of soda water provide a seal?
That requires salt water toffee.

Thanks, PH. The missuz loves pancakes and is hooked on soda water (can't stand the stuff myself), so this'll be a neat experiment.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Purple Hayes
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3855
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 7:54am
Location: Still scoring from corners..

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Purple Hayes » 22 May 2010, 6:37pm

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote: Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
Does the application of soda water provide a seal?
Fuck knows, :huh: Can anybody with a chemistry O'level hazard a guess? Bubbles must effect the consistency in some way....

I haven't tried it with Yorkshire puddings yet, that could be truly spectacular..
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50568
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Wolter » 22 May 2010, 9:21pm

I just ate one of the newest burgers from Kuma's Corner - the Brujeria.
Brujeria
Cream Cheese and Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Popper, Cheddar Cheese and Charred Tomato Salsa
It was so rare a decent vet might have been able to save it. While I ate it, they were cranking loud, aggressive metal (as they always do). I literally wanted to leave that place and beat up some chump for no good reason. AAAAGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOO!

I think I'm slipping into a meat coma. Seriously, this place is wicked awesome. Best fucking burger place ever.

EDIT: ALSO had the VERY BEST CALAMARI I've ever had, AND one of the top five Macaroni & Cheese's I've ever had there.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23266
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by eumaas » 22 May 2010, 10:56pm

Wolter wrote:It was so rare a decent vet might have been able to save it.
:lol:

I think Murph came up with a great description of how rare something was a while back. This belongs with that. The great manly pastime: figuring out increasingly horrible ways to describe how rare something is.

My contribution: a steak so rare the wife and kids are still expecting it to come home.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20603
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by matedog » 22 May 2010, 11:07pm

eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:It was so rare a decent vet might have been able to save it.
:lol:

I think Murph came up with a great description of how rare something was a while back. This belongs with that. The great manly pastime: figuring out increasingly horrible ways to describe how rare something is.

My contribution: a steak so rare the wife and kids are still expecting it to come home.
Silent Majority wrote:I want my steak so close to raw, that the cow's family are still praying for a turnaround.
Holy fuck I'm hungry right now but can't eat dinner until 10:30pm :angry:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23266
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by eumaas » 22 May 2010, 11:08pm

matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:It was so rare a decent vet might have been able to save it.
:lol:

I think Murph came up with a great description of how rare something was a while back. This belongs with that. The great manly pastime: figuring out increasingly horrible ways to describe how rare something is.

My contribution: a steak so rare the wife and kids are still expecting it to come home.
Silent Majority wrote:I want my steak so close to raw, that the cow's family are still praying for a turnaround.
Holy fuck I'm hungry right now but can't eat dinner until 10:30pm :angry:
If only burgers and steaks were made from horses I could say it's so rare Hoy might rape it.

Oh hell, I'll say it anyway...
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20603
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by matedog » 22 May 2010, 11:11pm

eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:It was so rare a decent vet might have been able to save it.
:lol:

I think Murph came up with a great description of how rare something was a while back. This belongs with that. The great manly pastime: figuring out increasingly horrible ways to describe how rare something is.

My contribution: a steak so rare the wife and kids are still expecting it to come home.
Silent Majority wrote:I want my steak so close to raw, that the cow's family are still praying for a turnaround.
Holy fuck I'm hungry right now but can't eat dinner until 10:30pm :angry:
If only burgers and steaks were made from horses I could say it's so rare Hoy might rape it.

Oh hell, I'll say it anyway...
Top notch steaks are so good I often do try to rape them. It's a last resort to try to make more of it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 28003
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Heston » 23 May 2010, 7:38pm

gob.jpg
gob.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests