What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 May 2010, 6:17pm

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote: I consider myself a Grandmaster of the perfect scrambled egg, but I will cross reference with this slightly dubious recipe (fucking chives?). The stirring part is obvious, I've always stirred my scrambled eggs continuously. I will report my findings within the next month.
I learned from my mother, who used a frying pan, using a spatula to move the mixture back and forth. This recipe involves far more agitation, which requires the saucepan. I also haven't used olive oil before, and that really comes through in the texture and taste.
I've found a wooden spoon is better for manipulation of the egg mixture. I've always used a saucepan too, though the olive oil is a new one on me, I've always used best butter.
I consider myself a bit of a maestro when it comes to scrambled eggs too, can't let 'em settle in the pan for more than 10-20 seconds if you don't want shitty brown burnt bits, wooden spoon is ideal for this, as far as adding anything, all they need is a drop of milk, knob of butter and a sprinkle of ground black pepper, I also drain before serving, nothing worse than that eggy water stuff making your toast soggy.. :(
A true maestro wouldn't need to drain, he would have found the perfect consistency within the allotted cooking time.

You have a lot to learn, Grasshopper.
With this, there was no brown and nothing to drain. I don't have any but the most rudimentary cooking skills, and the results were fluffy, moist, and delicious.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi » 22 May 2010, 6:18pm

I think I'm egged out but I wanna try this. Ain't got no chives or creme freche or sour cream for that matter. Oh shit, never mind. :angry:

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes » 22 May 2010, 6:19pm

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote: I consider myself a Grandmaster of the perfect scrambled egg, but I will cross reference with this slightly dubious recipe (fucking chives?). The stirring part is obvious, I've always stirred my scrambled eggs continuously. I will report my findings within the next month.
I learned from my mother, who used a frying pan, using a spatula to move the mixture back and forth. This recipe involves far more agitation, which requires the saucepan. I also haven't used olive oil before, and that really comes through in the texture and taste.
I've found a wooden spoon is better for manipulation of the egg mixture. I've always used a saucepan too, though the olive oil is a new one on me, I've always used best butter.
I consider myself a bit of a maestro when it comes to scrambled eggs too, can't let 'em settle in the pan for more than 10-20 seconds if you don't want shitty brown burnt bits, wooden spoon is ideal for this, as far as adding anything, all they need is a drop of milk, knob of butter and a sprinkle of ground black pepper, I also drain before serving, nothing worse than that eggy water stuff making your toast soggy.. :(
A true maestro wouldn't need to drain, he would have found the perfect consistency within the allotted cooking time.

You have a lot to learn, Grasshopper.
I always drain just in case, can't always trust my eyes first thing in the morning :mrgreen:

Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 May 2010, 6:20pm

Purple Hayes wrote:Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
A complete substitution or just partial? I'm intrigued by this.

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes » 22 May 2010, 6:23pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
A complete substitution or just partial? I'm intrigued by this.
Straight swap, Soda instead of still water, I was dubious before I tried it but there's no doubt it works :mrgreen:
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston » 22 May 2010, 6:23pm

Purple Hayes wrote: Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
Does the application of soda water provide a seal?
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Heston

Post by Heston » 22 May 2010, 6:28pm

Talking of Top-Tips, the new Viz book, "30 years of Top-tips" is just out. They printed a selection in the Sun last week, I was in stitches, I may look for a link to it
So what does Marconi playing the mamba mean? "Marconi" is referring to the radio itself. It plays a deadly snake. The snake - the mamba - is slithering from the speakers. Ready to kill greedy corporations. Ready to free the world of all that is evil, and to leave behind only the youthful idealism encompassed by the tenets of rock and roll.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla » 22 May 2010, 6:30pm

Heston wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote: Another top-tip is to use Soda Water with batter mix for pancakes, light and fluffy perfection...
That requires salt water toffee.

Thanks, PH. The missuz loves pancakes and is hooked on soda water (can't stand the stuff myself), so this'll be a neat experiment.

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes » 22 May 2010, 6:37pm

Heston wrote:
Fuck knows, :huh: Can anybody with a chemistry O'level hazard a guess? Bubbles must effect the consistency in some way....

I haven't tried it with Yorkshire puddings yet, that could be truly spectacular..

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen

Post by Wolter » 22 May 2010, 9:21pm

I just ate one of the newest burgers from Kuma's Corner - the Brujeria.
Brujeria
Cream Cheese and Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Popper, Cheddar Cheese and Charred Tomato Salsa
It was so rare a decent vet might have been able to save it. While I ate it, they were cranking loud, aggressive metal (as they always do). I literally wanted to leave that place and beat up some chump for no good reason. AAAAGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOO!

I think I'm slipping into a meat coma. Seriously, this place is wicked awesome. Best fucking burger place ever.

EDIT: ALSO had the VERY BEST CALAMARI I've ever had, AND one of the top five Macaroni & Cheese's I've ever had there.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 22 May 2010, 10:56pm

Wolter wrote:It was so rare a decent vet might have been able to save it.
:lol:

I think Murph came up with a great description of how rare something was a while back. This belongs with that. The great manly pastime: figuring out increasingly horrible ways to describe how rare something is.

My contribution: a steak so rare the wife and kids are still expecting it to come home.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 22 May 2010, 11:07pm

eumaas wrote:

I think Murph came up with a great description of how rare something was a while back. This belongs with that. The great manly pastime: figuring out increasingly horrible ways to describe how rare something is.

My contribution: a steak so rare the wife and kids are still expecting it to come home.
Silent Majority wrote:I want my steak so close to raw, that the cow's family are still praying for a turnaround.
Holy fuck I'm hungry right now but can't eat dinner until 10:30pm :angry:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

eumaas
Klezmer Shogun

Post by eumaas » 22 May 2010, 11:08pm

matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:

Silent Majority wrote:I want my steak so close to raw, that the cow's family are still praying for a turnaround.
If only burgers and steaks were made from horses I could say it's so rare Hoy might rape it.

Oh hell, I'll say it anyway...
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog » 22 May 2010, 11:11pm

eumaas wrote:
matedog wrote:
eumaas wrote:

If only burgers and steaks were made from horses I could say it's so rare Hoy might rape it.

Oh hell, I'll say it anyway...
Top notch steaks are so good I often do try to rape them. It's a last resort to try to make more of it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston » 23 May 2010, 7:38pm

gob.jpg
gob.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 952 times