What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by BitterTom »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:10pm
BitterTom wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:08pm
I was a late latecomer to fried chicken but after 5 pieces, or near enough a whole chicken tonight, it's a firm favourite.
Internalized bias example:

As someone who grew up in the American south, it never even occurred to me until just now that this wouldn’t be a fairly staple food to any non-meat eater.

(I’m eating a salad I made for work yesterday and never got around to eating. Living the dream)
Ah the proper stuff, I'm sure my takeaway effort wasn't a touch on real southern chicken. If that is the case, it must be fucking amazing.

Chicken is 100% better on the bone I might add. Can't believe I grew up eating boneless meats until I was about 18.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I was a late latecomer to fried chicken but after 5 pieces, or near enough a whole chicken tonight, it's a firm favourite.

As someone who grew up in the American south, it never even occurred to me until just now that this wouldn’t be a fairly staple food to any non-meat eater.

(I’m eating a salad I made for work yesterday and never got around to eating. Living the dream)
I do enjoy fried chicken but I so rarely eat it.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:14pm
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Ah the proper stuff, I'm sure my takeaway effort wasn't a touch on real southern chicken. If that is the case, it must be fucking amazing.

Chicken is 100% better on the bone I might add. Can't believe I grew up eating boneless meats until I was about 18.
Oh definitely better on the bone. Boneless takes effort to keep from drying.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Me neither. I don’t like deep frying at home and it’s not at all healthy. It’s a treat more than anything.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:16pm
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Me neither. I don’t like deep frying at home and it’s not at all healthy. It’s a treat more than anything.
Do you guys have an air fryer? I have no idea how to use it, but VH makes some good stuff with it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:30pm
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Do you guys have an air fryer? I have no idea how to use it, but VH makes some good stuff with it.
No. I have considered it, but given I’m the only carnivore in the house it would be a bit of a vanity purchase.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
I've just had half of what looked like a baby chicken straight off the spit, probably the best chicken I've ever tasted.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I've been treating myself to it way too often. We have a place up here called Ezell's that has a spicy recipe that is hard to put down. I probably have chicken in my veins now.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 2:54pm
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I've been treating myself to it way too often. We have a place up here called Ezell's that has a spicy recipe that is hard to put down. I probably have chicken in my veins now.
Not gonna lie: I reall want some fried chicken now.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 3:01pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:

What are your preferred sides? I usually go with the baked beans and mashed potatoes with gravy. And it comes with a roll.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

my wife called on Monday to say she was bringing home chicken, and when I found it wasn't fried I was disappointed.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Kory wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 3:04pm
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:

What are your preferred sides? I usually go with the baked beans and mashed potatoes with gravy. And it comes with a roll.
Your gravy is definitely different to ours. Is it the white stuff? Stupid question but what does it taste like?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:

I’m a mashed taters and gravy man but I’m also a macaroni and cheese man because man do I love carbs and fat.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 3:16pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Your gravy is definitely different to ours. Is it the white stuff? Stupid question but what does it taste like?
These people eat gravy with biscuits, don't rely on them for any info.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 3:16pm
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:

We have all kinds. The white stuff is sausage gravy. It is salty and creamy and sausage-y, and it’s good on what we call biscuits, which Heston has never had and has no idea about. It’s basically a flour roux in sausage pan drippings with milk and seasonings added.

Mostly we use brown gravy on potatoes. I suspect it’s similar to what you have there.

There’s also regional varietals like red eye, which is made with black coffee and pan drippings and works well with ham.

EDIT: I should be clear sausage gravy is also regional and only really used on biscuits or on country fried steak, which is a cheap cut of beef breaded and fried. It’s also known as chicken-fried steak in some places.