What Are you Eating Right Now?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: What Are you Eating Right Now?

Post by revbob »

While I was making dinner my wife came homecwith takeaway from the Turkish place. Holy shit its good

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Grilled a couple of mahi-mahi filets with some blackened seasoning on them.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Story time.

Wife and I do a lot of slow cooker stuff since we don't have time with the two little ones and it's just easier. Got this banging Tuscan chicken recipe and Monday night and Tuesday morning I did all the prep. Before I left Tuesday morning, I threw the raw thighs into the slow cooker for my wife to fire up before she left for work after getting the kids ready and out the door. Sure enough, there was a home invasion, shoot out, cop stand off across the street from us Tuesday morning, so the wife was freaked out and forgot to fire up the chicken. I got home 9 hours later and figured, "fuck it, this raw meat has been sitting out all day, I'm going to cook it anyway." Wife wouldn't eat it or let me feed it to the kids, but I did have it for dinner last night and either I'm fine, or I died and this is how i'm spending the afterlife. Either option is equally likely I think.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 10:42am
Story time.

Wife and I do a lot of slow cooker stuff since we don't have time with the two little ones and it's just easier. Got this banging Tuscan chicken recipe and Monday night and Tuesday morning I did all the prep. Before I left Tuesday morning, I threw the raw thighs into the slow cooker for my wife to fire up before she left for work after getting the kids ready and out the door. Sure enough, there was a home invasion, shoot out, cop stand off across the street from us Tuesday morning, so the wife was freaked out and forgot to fire up the chicken. I got home 9 hours later and figured, "fuck it, this raw meat has been sitting out all day, I'm going to cook it anyway." Wife wouldn't eat it or let me feed it to the kids, but I did have it for dinner last night and either I'm fine, or I died and this is how i'm spending the afterlife. Either option is equally likely I think.
Your wife had the correct response, happy it had no ill effects on you.

Get a smart plug and you can set it go go off when you want, check it or fire it up yourself.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
Story time.

Revbob is a naysayer, id have done the same. The 90s must have given us extra intestinal fortitude.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
Story time.

Whew, you might have dodged a bullet. Chicken is pretty much the worst meat when it comes to food poisoning. As someone who works in the food industry, the rule of thumb for restaurants is to toss chicken that has been sitting out for more than 2 hours. Like revbob suggested, look into a smart plug. We have one that I can control through my phone.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog

Post by matedog »

I could have just turned the damn thing on myself, but this is how we do it normally and I didn't expect a police standoff to distract the wife.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 11:00am
matedog wrote:
Story time.

Revbob is a naysayer, id have done the same. The 90s must have given us extra intestinal fortitude.
All the Code Red and 3D Doritos baby. :cool:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
Story time.

This was a wild ride. I hope everyone in your neighborhood is OK, and I hope you don't have salmonella.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, we didn't even really get to the shootout. Anyone I know from the pot luck?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just want to say that was a masterfully told story, treating the shoot-out as this irritation that spurs the real point, the spoiled meal.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Weird story - two people hopped a fence, smashed a window and entered the home at around 6:05. I left for work that day right at that time, so based on security footage from neighbors, they hopped the fence, I left, then they smashed the window. Owners barricaded themselves in their bedroom and fired warning shots. Intruders took some purses(?) and left. Cops showed up pretty quickly, but weren't sure if anyone was still in there so there was a standoff of sorts. Neighbor took this photo, notice cop has gun in hand. House in question on the left, my house is just out of frame on the right.

Really weird situation. Apparently their cameras and wifi were cut the night before. My theory about the timing and execution is that it wasn't random. We know very little about the family that lives there, so they might be involved in some shit.
Attachments
PXL_20240227_152342980.jpg

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Story time.

As others have said, you got lucky, really lucky not falling ill with food poisoning. Glad you and the family are safe from the home invasion across the street.

Smart plug or even an old fashioned plug in timer for the win.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 12:37pm
Weird story - two people hopped a fence, smashed a window and entered the home at around 6:05. I left for work that day right at that time, so based on security footage from neighbors, they hopped the fence, I left, then they smashed the window. Owners barricaded themselves in their bedroom and fired warning shots. Intruders took some purses(?) and left. Cops showed up pretty quickly, but weren't sure if anyone was still in there so there was a standoff of sorts. Neighbor took this photo, notice cop has gun in hand. House in question on the left, my house is just out of frame on the right.

Really weird situation. Apparently their cameras and wifi were cut the night before. My theory about the timing and execution is that it wasn't random. We know very little about the family that lives there, so they might be involved in some shit.
Losing the wifi is definitely suspicious, tho going in at 6 am seems odd if there was a plan at work, unless they expect them to be gone by 5.30 or somesuch.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 1:12pm
matedog wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 12:37pm

Losing the wifi is definitely suspicious, tho going in at 6 am seems odd if there was a plan at work, unless they expect them to be gone by 5.30 or somesuch.
Yeah, most of these types of break ins happen in the middle of the day, not at a time when people are home. Adds to the suspiciousness of the story.