FAO Kory

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: FAO Kory

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 7:03pm
Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 6:48pm
Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 3:01pm

I am 180º in the other direction. 99/100 I'll give up some waking activity for sleep.
One of the benefits of actually liking your job, I suppose.
I think I've talked about this here before, but for a few years I had what I thought was my all time dream job. It ended up being a horrible, soul-sucking experience and I ended up being laid off and the position was eliminated during a restricturing. It's left me pretty much permanently jaded and bitter about some things I used to love both personally and professionally. I've become a big advocate for not trying to find a job you "love" or are passionate about or whatever, and try to find something you can do decently well, won't actively hate, and that you can keep your emotional distance from. The chances of trying to land a job you "love" just to have it poison your life feels too high.
Yeah that's definitely my approach too, though I currently find myself (largely by happenstance) in a position that takes up too much of my brainpower when I'm not on the clock. However, the only thing I hate more than being forced to work this many hours a week is looking for a job/interviewing, so I'm just going to ride it out and get my revenge by only sleeping a few hours a night.
You seem ready to start a fight club.
I'm definitely ready to start a Leave Me Alone club. The great part of that is that I don't have to go to meetings.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

I think I've talked about this here before, but for a few years I had what I thought was my all time dream job. It ended up being a horrible, soul-sucking experience and I ended up being laid off and the position was eliminated during a restricturing. It's left me pretty much permanently jaded and bitter about some things I used to love both personally and professionally. I've become a big advocate for not trying to find a job you "love" or are passionate about or whatever, and try to find something you can do decently well, won't actively hate, and that you can keep your emotional distance from. The chances of trying to land a job you "love" just to have it poison your life feels too high.
Yeah that's definitely my approach too, though I currently find myself (largely by happenstance) in a position that takes up too much of my brainpower when I'm not on the clock. However, the only thing I hate more than being forced to work this many hours a week is looking for a job/interviewing, so I'm just going to ride it out and get my revenge by only sleeping a few hours a night.
I'm definitely ready to start a Leave Me Alone club. The great part of that is that I don't have to go to meetings.
Headphones and an annoyed look goes a long way. Take it from someone who has succeeded.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 8:50pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:

Headphones and an annoyed look goes a long way. Take it from someone who has succeeded.
This definitely doesn't work at my office. It usually results in somebody physically knocking on my desk like a door to get the attention that I'm trying to withhold.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 9:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

This definitely doesn't work at my office. It usually results in somebody physically knocking on my desk like a door to get the attention that I'm trying to withhold.
You need to practice your glower. Treat developing that like going to the gym.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

First rule of leave me alone club is don't talk about leave me alone club because leave me the fuck alone
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A good friend of mine works for the federal government, and shortly after the pandemic fucked the normal up but before everyone was sent home for over a year, his department was given orders to minimize face-to-face contact and refrain from things like shaking hands or hugging. He emailed me about this, saying, “I’ve been training for this my whole life.”

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 9:39pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Listen to the master. Nobody glowers like our good doctor.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 12:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Nobody with a clipboard looking for signatures has ever dared me to break my pace!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 7:17am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Nobody with a clipboard looking for signatures has ever dared me to break my pace!
While I have the capability and sometimesuse it , I have a tendency to not use it and I also have the habit of making eye contact.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 8:22am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 7:17am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

While I have the capability and sometimesuse it , I have a tendency to not use it and I also have the habit of making eye contact.
I'm chiefly a resting glower face, but when I interact with people my face "lights up," so to speak. Unless I'm deliberately being cold. I know that I'm much easier to engage with than when I was younger.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

My mom would tell you I'm one of the all-time greats. I just don't use it at work because I want to keep my job that I barely tolerate.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 4:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My mom would tell you I'm one of the all-time greats. I just don't use it at work because I want to keep my job that I barely tolerate.
Damned quasi-millennial. Actual Xers have something approaching principles!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

X-ers care about things? Seems like that leaves them open to attacks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 4:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

We're care very much about apathy. It's ironic. Which we also care about.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 5:05pm
Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 4:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

We're care very much about apathy. It's ironic. Which we also care about.
Irony was big with millennials too. At least that value got passed along. We ruined it with waxed mustaches and "funny" clothes though.