FAO Kory

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: FAO Kory

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 11:51am
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 11:42am
The Hard Times is really getting up there with the Onion, who have been the champs for a long time.
The good stuff is really good, but there's an increase in filler crap like ranking albums by inane criteria.
Ah, I never actually visit the site, only seeing when people share the good stuff. That'll warp a perception.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 12:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 11:51am
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 11:42am
The Hard Times is really getting up there with the Onion, who have been the champs for a long time.
The good stuff is really good, but there's an increase in filler crap like ranking albums by inane criteria.
Ah, I never actually visit the site, only seeing when people share the good stuff. That'll warp a perception.
And, to be fair, the Onion has amped up its slideshow list pieces that are (a) never funny and (b) an irritating degree of clicking and waiting. Luckily foreknowledge of (a) means I avoid (b).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Highly relatable. I also recently learned there's an actual phrase for my related behavior, "Revenge Bedtime Procrastination."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 2:51pm
Highly relatable. I also recently learned there's an actual phrase for my related behavior, "Revenge Bedtime Procrastination."
I am 180º in the other direction. 99/100 I'll give up some waking activity for sleep.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 3:01pm
Kory wrote:
I am 180º in the other direction. 99/100 I'll give up some waking activity for sleep.
One of the benefits of actually liking your job, I suppose.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Or that sleep is one way my anxieties can be shelved by turning off my brain.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
After 35 years with the same company, I kind of concluded nobody truly "liked" their jobs, only the paycheck.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:10pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
And that's probably why my sleep is so crappy, too much buzzing around inside my head that I wish the on/off switch would control.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think I've talked about this here before, but for a few years I had what I thought was my all time dream job. It ended up being a horrible, soul-sucking experience and I ended up being laid off and the position was eliminated during a restricturing. It's left me pretty much permanently jaded and bitter about some things I used to love both personally and professionally. I've become a big advocate for not trying to find a job you "love" or are passionate about or whatever, and try to find something you can do decently well, won't actively hate, and that you can keep your emotional distance from. The chances of trying to land a job you "love" just to have it poison your life feels too high.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:10pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

And that's probably why my sleep is so crappy, too much buzzing around inside my head that I wish the on/off switch would control.
It's why I have a glass or two or wine in the evening. I don't drink to get drunk, just to slow down my brain.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think I've talked about this here before, but for a few years I had what I thought was my all time dream job. It ended up being a horrible, soul-sucking experience and I ended up being laid off and the position was eliminated during a restricturing. It's left me pretty much permanently jaded and bitter about some things I used to love both personally and professionally. I've become a big advocate for not trying to find a job you "love" or are passionate about or whatever, and try to find something you can do decently well, won't actively hate, and that you can keep your emotional distance from. The chances of trying to land a job you "love" just to have it poison your life feels too high.
I kind of understand where you're coming from. For reasons I won't get into here, I don't expect to have any of my courses renewed after this year, which leaves me SOL. I've gone thru the various stages, assuming there's just two stages—bitterness and acceptance. There have been moments where I wish I never got into this at all, showing me something I really love doing then snatching it away. But I can't deny I've had so many wonderful and satisfying moments in the classroom that, regardless of it going poof, I wouldn't trade for anything. So I'd never argue against your stance because I do understand it, I'm glad that I did find one thing that I was pretty damned good at and gave me genuine pleasure and satisfaction.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:46pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I kind of understand where you're coming from. For reasons I won't get into here, I don't expect to have any of my courses renewed after this year, which leaves me SOL. I've gone thru the various stages, assuming there's just two stages—bitterness and acceptance. There have been moments where I wish I never got into this at all, showing me something I really love doing then snatching it away. But I can't deny I've had so many wonderful and satisfying moments in the classroom that, regardless of it going poof, I wouldn't trade for anything. So I'd never argue against your stance because I do understand it, I'm glad that I did find one thing that I was pretty damned good at and gave me genuine pleasure and satisfaction.
As I was typing this I was saying in my head "teaching seems like the very obvious counter-argument to this" so I definitely take your meaning. Like all life observations, terms, conditions, and limitations apply, etc.

Addendum: obviously, we know that The Man has finally caught onto your free-livin' hobo ways. It was inevitable.

Addendum II: and sorry to hear that's happening, doc, obviously. Even if you're at acceptance it still sucks.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 4:46pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

As I was typing this I was saying in my head "teaching seems like the very obvious counter-argument to this" so I definitely take your meaning. Like all life observations, terms, conditions, and limitations apply, etc.

Addendum: obviously, we know that The Man has finally caught onto your free-livin' hobo ways. It was inevitable.

Addendum II: and sorry to hear that's happening, doc, obviously. Even if you're at acceptance it still sucks.
Thanks. There is still some small possibility of avoiding the plank, but I've been refocusing my mind toward actual research (and maybe actually writing again!). And our household doesn't rely on my income, so there's no dire repercussions if what I bring in drops notably.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yeah that's definitely my approach too, though I currently find myself (largely by happenstance) in a position that takes up too much of my brainpower when I'm not on the clock. However, the only thing I hate more than being forced to work this many hours a week is looking for a job/interviewing, so I'm just going to ride it out and get my revenge by only sleeping a few hours a night.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 6:48pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah that's definitely my approach too, though I currently find myself (largely by happenstance) in a position that takes up too much of my brainpower when I'm not on the clock. However, the only thing I hate more than being forced to work this many hours a week is looking for a job/interviewing, so I'm just going to ride it out and get my revenge by only sleeping a few hours a night.
You seem ready to start a fight club.