The Mighty Pet Peeves Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Pet Peeves Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Some advice to you university students when writing term papers: Don't fucking well put footnote markers in the middle of the goddamn sentence. It's visually ugly and bloody well disruptive. What it tells the reader to do is stop reading this sentence right now, before it's complete, and go read the footnote. Why are telling someone to stop reading your lovely sentence, then expect them to come back and just pick it up after that numeral, and that your point will still flow well? Wait until the end of the damn sentence before you want to provide evidence that you're not making shit up or have additional points to make.

(Note: I'm dealing with a writer right now who has an allergy to putting footnote markers at the end of sentences and it's pissing me off.)
I know exactly what you're going through. I hate that shit.
Are you eating store-brand pretzels right now like me? Why didn't I spend the extra dollar to get something less … donkey shit?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Some advice to you university students when writing term papers: Don't fucking well put footnote markers in the middle of the goddamn sentence. It's visually ugly and bloody well disruptive. What it tells the reader to do is stop reading this sentence right now, before it's complete, and go read the footnote. Why are telling someone to stop reading your lovely sentence, then expect them to come back and just pick it up after that numeral, and that your point will still flow well? Wait until the end of the damn sentence before you want to provide evidence that you're not making shit up or have additional points to make.

(Note: I'm dealing with a writer right now who has an allergy to putting footnote markers at the end of sentences and it's pissing me off.)
Are you eating store-brand pretzels right now like me? Why didn't I spend the extra dollar to get something less … donkey shit?
I like Auntie Anne's at the mall....with the cheese sauce.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Tho it's never actually happened to be, I have a weird fear that my teeth will break on large pretzels, so I only eat mini-sized ones. I think in a past life I was bitten by a large pretzel (said large pretzel was Flex in a past life).

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Tho it's never actually happened to be, I have a weird fear that my teeth will break on large pretzels, so I only eat mini-sized ones. I think in a past life I was bitten by a large pretzel (said large pretzel was Flex in a past life).
You know those large pretzels are soft...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote: I know exactly what you're going through. I hate that shit.
Not all of them. I saw a kid take a bite once and it just shattered everywhere.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Are you eating store-brand pretzels right now like me? Why didn't I spend the extra dollar to get something less … donkey shit?
Gross. No wonder Canada doesn't have an empire.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:Gross. No wonder Canada doesn't have an empire.
Pretzel historical determinism was debunked decades ago by Prof. Toby Skunkskin.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Pretzel historical determinism was debunked decades ago by Prof. Toby Skunkskin.
Bah, his methods were shoddy and his conclusions tenuous.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Canadians! :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Bah, his methods were shoddy and his conclusions tenuous.
When you get tenure at the University of Phoenix, I'll think about listening to your critiques.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Are you eating store-brand pretzels right now like me? Why didn't I spend the extra dollar to get something less … donkey shit?
Did the pretzel break though ?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote: I like Auntie Anne's at the mall....with the cheese sauce.
No, Vern, they just let him in. [/Stand By Me]

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Tho it's never actually happened to be, I have a weird fear that my teeth will break on large pretzels, so I only eat mini-sized ones. I think in a past life I was bitten by a large pretzel (said large pretzel was Flex in a past life).
No, Vern, they just let him in. [/Stand By Me]
I laughed heartily at the idea of an entire child shattering while trying to eat a pretzel.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I have a pet peeve:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:I have a pet peeve:

Nice sweats, Unemployed Lad.