SCIENCE!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: SCIENCE!

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 3:33pm
Clerk at the pet store today was wearing this:
You buying puppies for Adele?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 6:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Science/DEVO fans are everywhere.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 6:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That dame has enough money and Bulgarian connections to satisfy her twisted hunger.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/health/d ... index.html

The origin of demons or has the mythology of demons informed this condition?
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 10:07am
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/health/d ... index.html

The origin of demons or has the mythology of demons informed this condition?
Two patients, “while standing in front of the mirror, saw one eye popping out of its socket and slithering down the cheek,”

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Buffalo lucks out for once and somehow we are in the direct path of the eclipse totality, which is supposed to begin at 3:18pm here, just a couple hours away...and yup, it's cloudy as fuck today. Shit! :angry:

Hopefully the sky clears in the next 2 hours. Apparently there are around a million out-of-town visitors in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area who travelled here just for the eclipse.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 1:24pm
Buffalo lucks out for once and somehow we are in the direct path of the eclipse totality, which is supposed to begin at 3:18pm here, just a couple hours away...and yup, it's cloudy as fuck today. Shit! :angry:

Hopefully the sky clears in the next 2 hours. Apparently there are around a million out-of-town visitors in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area who travelled here just for the eclipse.
That's some nice silly tourist bucks for Buffalo, which I don't imagine gets that many tourists (I mean, I'd be up for seeing where McKinley met an anarchist, but I'm kind of niche that way). The cloud cover radar suggests persistent but not thick clouds this afternoon. You'd probably be able to see the eclipse, but photos would be meh.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 1:31pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

That's some nice silly tourist bucks for Buffalo, which I don't imagine gets that many tourists (I mean, I'd be up for seeing where McKinley met an anarchist, but I'm kind of niche that way). The cloud cover radar suggests persistent but not thick clouds this afternoon. You'd probably be able to see the eclipse, but photos would be meh.
Buffalo gets a lot of tourism spillover from Niagara Falls, which is like 20 minutes away and brings in people from around the world. There's also a lot of cool history and waterfront stuff, if you're into that kind of thing. And Canadians love to shop here. :approve:

I got my eclipse glasses back in November. Our county library system bought and handed out around half a million pairs. I'm hoping to at least see something.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 1:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 1:31pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Buffalo gets a lot of tourism spillover from Niagara Falls, which is like 20 minutes away and brings in people from around the world. There's also a lot of cool history and waterfront stuff, if you're into that kind of thing. And Canadians love to shop here. :approve:
Canadians feel obliged to buy something when they're in the US. It's like proof that you've branched out.
I got my eclipse glasses back in November. Our county library system bought and handed out around half a million pairs. I'm hoping to at least see something.
There's a class action suit waiting to be filed here. A couple hardware store chains have been selling eclipse glasses that are not of proper quality or strength or whatever. And they don't accept refunds. So a few enterprising lawyers are going to try to make hay from this.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 1:55pm
Canadians feel obliged to buy something when they're in the US. It's like proof that you've branched out.
Actually, they buy new clothes here, dump their old stuff in the parking lot, and wear the new stuff back across the border so they don't have to pay import duty on it. At least, according to a friend who worked at the mall. :naughty:

Also, a quarter to a third of fans at Bills and Sabres games have usually come across the border from Hamilton or Toronto. And the Buffalo-Niagara region is the only place to cross the border from Canada for a couple hundred miles in either direction, unless you want to head to the western end of Lake Erie or the eastern end of Lake Ontario. So people get funneled into Buffalo whether they like it or not. :mrgreen:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 1:55pm
There's a class action suit waiting to be filed here. A couple hardware store chains have been selling eclipse glasses that are not of proper quality or strength or whatever. And they don't accept refunds. So a few enterprising lawyers are going to try to make hay from this.
I'm hoping the Erie County Public Library system, in conjunction with the Buffalo Museum of Science, have done their homework and we are not about to experience a mass blinding event. X(

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Colorado reporting in from 60% eclipse land. Just had our "peak" coverage - beautiful cloud free day, but obviously not the same experience as totality. The missus was smart enough to get us some eclipse glasses ahead of times sure beats the hell out of the pinwheel method.

Sesame Street has an episode about eclipses that we were showing our Little Duder so he was super into it, tho he was a little disappointed it didn't get darker. Only looked up with the glasses on tho, so he's already significantly smarter than our last president.

Next eclipse over North America will be in 2045 and Colorado will be in the path of totality. Me and the missus will.be fresh empty nesters then so we're already excited for the event. :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

I'll head outside in a few minutes:
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-08 at 2.59.46 PM.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 2:52pm
Colorado reporting in from 60% eclipse land. Just had our "peak" coverage - beautiful cloud free day, but obviously not the same experience as totality. The missus was smart enough to get us some eclipse glasses ahead of times sure beats the hell out of the pinwheel method.

Sesame Street has an episode about eclipses that we were showing our Little Duder so he was super into it, tho he was a little disappointed it didn't get darker. Only looked up with the glasses on tho, so he's already significantly smarter than our last president.

Next eclipse over North America will be in 2045 and Colorado will be in the path of totality. Me and the missus will.be fresh empty nesters then so we're already excited for the event. :shifty:
And accepting visitors I presume

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

We were fortunate to have a warm clear day in April for this. It is a short walk to the lake overlook so we did the viewing from there although we would have had a clear view from the back porch. My cell phone pics dont do it justice.
20240408_152845.jpg
20240408_152750.jpg