Dr. Who/Torchwood

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Dr. Who/Torchwood

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 8:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 8:33pm
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 8:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 7:57pm
https://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.ph ... &t=2439442

Nerd book for nerds who read nerd books in a nerdly way … James.
Thank you. Nation was a WW2 obsessed hack who lucked into a fantastic contract.
Dagnabbit, you're supposed to be humiliated for liking a thing that I don't cotton to and so disparage to cover up that lack of interest! Blush, damn you, blush!
Can't see a reason why liking this would be at all humiliating, to be quite honest.

The past is a foreign country.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Just watched the first episode of Jodie Whittaker's Doctor. Despite being what feels like a rehash of the 11th Hour, it was good! I think Whittaker's Doctor is going to be a nice change of pace from Capaldi's brooding Doctor (don't get me wrong, I loved Capaldi, he's probably my third favorite after Eccelston and Matt Smith, but jesus you could tell Moffat needed a break), and I'm looking forward to see a return to a multi-person companion crew. I'm also hoping Chibbers doesn't fall into the same traps Moffat did we his female characters, especially considering his Doctor is one! I feel like Yaz got a bit of a short shrift in this one compared to the other two companions, so hopefully they juggle that a bit better in the coming episodes!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Boddington wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 5:52pm
Just watched the first episode of Jodie Whittaker's Doctor. Despite being what feels like a rehash of the 11th Hour, it was good! I think Whittaker's Doctor is going to be a nice change of pace from Capaldi's brooding Doctor (don't get me wrong, I loved Capaldi, he's probably my third favorite after Eccelston and Matt Smith, but jesus you could tell Moffat needed a break), and I'm looking forward to see a return to a multi-person companion crew. I'm also hoping Chibbers doesn't fall into the same traps Moffat did we his female characters, especially considering his Doctor is one! I feel like Yaz got a bit of a short shrift in this one compared to the other two companions, so hopefully they juggle that a bit better in the coming episodes!
I enjoyed it too, despite the Doctor being from the wrong side of the Pennines! I guess the companion focus was on the family aspects this week so for Yaz the only way is up ;)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Still haven't seen the new episode, but very excited. Even the most curmudgeonly fans seem to be warm to it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Flex wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 11:26am
Still haven't seen the new episode, but very excited. Even the most curmudgeonly fans seem to be warm to it.
I liked it. It feels like Dr Who in 2018, whereas the Moffat era kept the ring of 2010 around it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 11:42am
Flex wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 11:26am
I liked it. It feels like Dr Who in 2018, whereas the Moffat era kept the ring of 2010 around it.
Moffat was constantly so caught up with the mythology of the Doctor that he lost the point a bit, I think. While I don't think Chibbers is going to be a great show runner, I like what I've seen from Jodie and think her portrayal and delivery are going to be key. There also just seems to be a fundamental kindness to her Doctor that we haven't seen in a long time that I think is going to help the show as well.
Last edited by Boddington on 10 Oct 2018, 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Double post...halp

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

John Byrne's looking to own … someone … with this scorching take:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 2:52pm
John Byrne's looking to own … someone … with this scorching take:
wish someone had let me get into my safe space before john triggered me so bad with this feeling-free Fact.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I was ambivalent about their making the episode, and I'm still not sure they should have, but it was great liberal family drama.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

For what it's worth, I haven't really felt that anything has clicked yet. I still think the premiere was the strongest episode thus far. Everything else feels a bit...muddled. There's some potentially good plot points in here - Ryan's willingness to employ violence when the Doctor is against it, Graham dealing with the tragedy of losing his wife, Yaz...well, I'm not sure the show is doing a good job with Yaz yet. I also am still waiting to really feel like Jodie is the Doctor. I don't feel there's a unique stamp on it yet...not necessarily her fault, as I think she's been given a lot of fluff, and that the episodes themselves have been a lot of fluff. I know that's not surprising for the first run of a new Doctor but man...they've got to be able to do a bit better here, right?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I'm liking the new season alright so far. Why anyone would be up in arms about the Rosa Parks episode is beyond me.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

This is the first episode that I felt 'it.' I think the show found its footing with this episode.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I miss Gwen Cooper.