Hey Limeys...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Hey Limeys...

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: I'm not arguing that pumpkin pie is the only one that's acceptable. They're the fanatics who disparage it.
Well, you also said the meat pie was not a pie.

In actuality, they are both pies.
Oh, that. No, I'm planting my flag on that one. I've sought peace on barbecue and biscuits/cookies, but I ain't budging on the abomination of meat filling as pie.
Which is weird, because that's the one issue where I have no stake whatsoever. I use pie for both of those, as is right and proper.
Substitute the words barbecue or biscuits for pie.
Biscuits I accept as a cultural anamoly. It sounds stupid to my ears, but I acknowledge the technical legitimacy.

Barbecue is flat out wrong because, unlike pie, it does have a specific definition and history. It's only with the use of so-called "barbecue sauce" on grilled meat that the term has been corrupted.

Meat pies predate fruit ones, but fruit ones have been around for roughly 500 years. So you are being far more irrational than I am. Thbbbt.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:I don't care about the weird English meat pies since I do enjoy a good chicken pot pie. I still cringe at hearing "pizza pie" though.
That also doesn't bother me.
I kinda like it, since usually when I hear it that means I'm about to be eating pizza.
Why eat a meat pie when you can eat pizza?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pie is dessert. One does not eat meat for dessert. Hence, no meat pies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Pie is dessert. One does not eat meat for dessert. Hence, no meat pies.
False premise.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Pie is dessert. One does not eat meat for dessert. Hence, no meat pies.
False premise.
I would shoot you in the head over it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:Barbecue is flat out wrong because, unlike pie, it does have a specific definition and history. It's only with the use of so-called "barbecue sauce" on grilled meat that the term has been corrupted.

Meat pies predate fruit ones, but fruit ones have been around for roughly 500 years. So you are being far more irrational than I am. Thbbbt.
So if we just wait it out a couple hundred more years you'll become okay with the common usage of "barbecue?" I'll keep that in mind when I'm deciding what to use my time machine for.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:Barbecue is flat out wrong because, unlike pie, it does have a specific definition and history. It's only with the use of so-called "barbecue sauce" on grilled meat that the term has been corrupted.
So if we just wait it out a couple hundred more years you'll become okay with the common usage of "barbecue?" I'll keep that in mind when I'm deciding what to use my time machine for.
No, I will not. This corruption is entirely due to the Kraft corporation, not organic language growth.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
No, I will not. This corruption is entirely due to the Kraft corporation, not organic language growth.
Oooh. I was just about to side against you, but then these words of wisdom.

fuck kraft.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:No, I will not. This corruption is entirely due to the Kraft corporation, not organic language growth.
This seems like a made-up and arbitrary distinction. How do you measure whether something is organic enough? What's the cut off? Do you protest all word usage that's consciously driven to change meaning?

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:No, I will not. This corruption is entirely due to the Kraft corporation, not organic language growth.
This seems like a made-up and arbitrary distinction. How do you measure whether something is organic enough? What's the cut off? Do you protest all word usage that's consciously driven to change meaning?
It also suggests that people have been forced against their will to adopt an alternate definition for the term. It was introduced, it caught on—at some point it meets the standard of "organic growth" based on its use and acceptance outside of the corporate origin.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:It also suggests that people have been forced against their will to adopt an alternate definition for the term. It was introduced, it caught on—at some point it meets the standard of "organic growth" based on its use and acceptance outside of the corporate origin.
Yeah, I meant to add that bit in.

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

All of this is just an attempt to distract from the fact that Doc M is overly fanatical on the pie issue.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:All of this is just an attempt to distract from the fact that Doc M is overly fanatical on the pie issue.
Blabbermouth.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Can't we all just agree that you're both insane?

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:Can't we all just agree that you're both insane?
Fill the tub, Wolter. We're gonna short-circuit, this sumbitch.