The Great Thread of Wikipedia Magnificence!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Great Thread of Wikipedia Magnificence!

Post by Rat Patrol »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:My vigilante justicees get erections when they're lynched. Is that normal?
In my personal experience, yes.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_Hoy

And it's got an erection. :yuck:
Hmm, makes me feel virile.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

The Vinnie Vincent wikipedia page has some gems including pretty much this entire paragraph:
The VVI (Vinnie Vincent Invasion) line-up included original lead singer Robert Fleischman. Fleischman and Vincent's chemistry was unmatched. Fleischman was Vincent's preference as vocalist, and despite Vincent's enormous efforts, Chrysalis, failing to know a good thing when they saw it, destroyed the chemistry, letting Fleischman go unrewarded which forced him to resign. Vincent, disheartened and disillusioned, was forced to tour in support of his first explosive release named "Vinnie Vincent Invasion" with a replacement singer Mark Slaughter who Vincent felt was substandard to the quality which Vincent had not only strived for in his music but achieved as evidenced by the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album. Slaughter andDana Strum (both of whom would later form the band Slaughter) as well as drummer Bobby Rock, who would join the band Nelson after Vincent made the conscious decision in 1988 to disband the "group" after Vincent's disenchantment with Vincent's second album, "All Systems Go" and with Chrysalis's pandering to the "music scene." In late 1988 Vincent, unhappy with Chrysalis's handling of his recordings and career, refused to extend Chrysalis the option for third record when Chrysalis accidentally breached their option deadline to renew Vincent's contract in late September 1989. Chrysalis had a leaving member option on the salaried employees Vincent used as band mates. Left without Vinnie Vincent under contract, and attempting to capitalize on Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Chrysalis picked up the option on two remaining employees who formed the band Slaughter. The rumors that Vincent was kicked out of his own band was internet rumor and hearsay which had no basis in fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinnie_Vincent
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:The Vinnie Vincent wikipedia page has some gems including pretty much this entire paragraph:
The VVI (Vinnie Vincent Invasion) line-up included original lead singer Robert Fleischman. Fleischman and Vincent's chemistry was unmatched. Fleischman was Vincent's preference as vocalist, and despite Vincent's enormous efforts, Chrysalis, failing to know a good thing when they saw it, destroyed the chemistry, letting Fleischman go unrewarded which forced him to resign. Vincent, disheartened and disillusioned, was forced to tour in support of his first explosive release named "Vinnie Vincent Invasion" with a replacement singer Mark Slaughter who Vincent felt was substandard to the quality which Vincent had not only strived for in his music but achieved as evidenced by the first Vinnie Vincent Invasion album. Slaughter andDana Strum (both of whom would later form the band Slaughter) as well as drummer Bobby Rock, who would join the band Nelson after Vincent made the conscious decision in 1988 to disband the "group" after Vincent's disenchantment with Vincent's second album, "All Systems Go" and with Chrysalis's pandering to the "music scene." In late 1988 Vincent, unhappy with Chrysalis's handling of his recordings and career, refused to extend Chrysalis the option for third record when Chrysalis accidentally breached their option deadline to renew Vincent's contract in late September 1989. Chrysalis had a leaving member option on the salaried employees Vincent used as band mates. Left without Vinnie Vincent under contract, and attempting to capitalize on Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Chrysalis picked up the option on two remaining employees who formed the band Slaughter. The rumors that Vincent was kicked out of his own band was internet rumor and hearsay which had no basis in fact.
Last edited by Wikipedia user JHestonStarship85, I assume.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:The Vinnie Vincent wikipedia page has some gems including pretty much this entire paragraph:
I'd recognize Heston's writing anywhere.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

That was hilarious. What does that mean "let him go unrewarded"? and there was no internet 1989. If there was, nobody knew about it.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Chrysalis accidentally breached their option deadline to renew Vincent's contract in late September 1989.
I'm sure that's how it happened.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:I'd recognize Heston's writing anywhere.
How many times do I have to tell you? Make up years and GGRARTY only.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
The geordie doth protest too much, methinks.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
The geordie doth protest too much, methinks.
You can tell that he's fondling an ankh for comfort.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Decidedly disfiguring disambigual disembowlment. . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoy_%28disambiguation%29

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:Decidedly disfiguring disambigual disembowlment. . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoy_%28disambiguation%29
Anyone have the desire and creativity to take the next step …? :cool:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

They've missed a couple of regional disambiguations. Where I live, to "hoy something" is to throw something. It's also commonly used as a term for being sick, to "hoy up."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Hoy wrote:Garry Hoy (1955 – 9 July 1993) was a lawyer for the law firm of Holden Day Wilson in Toronto. He is best known for the circumstances of his death; in an attempt to prove to a group of his partners at the firm that the glass in the Toronto-Dominion Centre was unbreakable, he threw himself through a glass wall on the 24th story and fell to his death after the window frame gave way.[1] He had apparently performed this stunt many times in the past, having previously bounced harmlessly off the glass. . .
. . .In the words of Toronto Police Service Detective Mike Stowell:

"At this Friday night party, Mr. Hoy did it again and bounced off the glass the first time. However, he did it a second time and this time crashed right through the middle of the glass."

In another interview, the firm's spokesman mentioned that the glass in fact did not break, but popped out of its frame, leading to Hoy's fatal plunge.

Hoy's death contributed to the closing of Holden Day Wilson in 1996, at the time the largest law firm closure in Canada.[2]
In popular culture

Hoy's experience has been recreated by MythBusters in the episode "Vacuum Toilet, Biscuit Bazooka, Leaping Lawyer".

For his unusual death, Hoy was recognized with a Darwin Award in 1996.[3]

Although the name, date, and location were changed to protect his privacy, this death was featured in the American factual television show 1000 Ways to Die on Spike TV. To make the circumstances of his death seem more salacious, the segment depicted the lawyer as an egotistical womanizer who was demonstrating his trick to impress a female visitor. The video was titled "Way to Die #64 Habeas Corpse".[4]
Cue "That's Our Hoy!" closing credits music. . .
:lol: