Star Wars

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5306
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by revbob » 03 Jan 2017, 6:32pm

Flex wrote:Okay, I really liked Rogue One. More than The Force Awakens, probably. It was also a good illustration why Disney dumped all the extended universe shit. That story had been told in the EU via the Dark Forces computer game. It would be ludicrous to allow an early 90s shooter prevent Rogue One from happening.
Yeah I'm in agreement with this.

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Star Wars

Post by JennyB » 04 Jan 2017, 10:36am

I just watched the Phineaus and Ferb Star Wars episode. It was pretty damn funny.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71177
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla » 05 Mar 2017, 6:53pm

The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: Star Wars

Post by BostonBeaneater » 05 Mar 2017, 8:49pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
I like starwars. I was 10 when I loved it. The prequels were pitiful. TFA seemed like a modern reselling/retelling of a story I already knew. I'm bored.
Image

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5306
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by revbob » 05 Mar 2017, 9:36pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
I like starwars. I was 10 when I loved it. The prequels were pitiful. TFA seemed like a modern reselling/retelling of a story I already knew. I'm bored.
I liked TFA but I certainly can understand BBEs position. I went in knowing nothing about it but quickly realized the familiarity of the story. At first I felt a bit cheated but I was ultimately able to put that aside and enjoy it.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71177
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla » 05 Mar 2017, 9:46pm

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
I like starwars. I was 10 when I loved it. The prequels were pitiful. TFA seemed like a modern reselling/retelling of a story I already knew. I'm bored.
Okay, this only applies if you're actually immersed in SW (i.e., not a casual fan), but it's key to realize that the whole thing operates under Medieval or pre-modern ideas. That whole thing about it being a long time ago and knights and the importance of religion binding everyone, that's really important for how SW works. And one thing about pre-modern conceptions of time is that it's cyclical, not linear, so there's a belief that the experiences of the world basically repeat, varying slightly because of the actors. People do not make their own fate—that's a moden belief—but are called to play roles in the narrative of the world. TFA gets it right by having establishing that the story and the stakes and the roles must play out again. (Plus, the old pulps work under the premise that the villains never learn. The First Order does the Death Star thing because that's what the Empire did—twice—and bad guys have to go big.) So SW, if it's being true to its premise, must be about telling a story that has neither a beginning nor an ending, but one that spins. Judging it on modernist or even postmodernist grounds is going to find TFA boring or a rip off. And to each his own, but it's not accepting the premise of the story on its own terms.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 6855
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: Star Wars

Post by BostonBeaneater » 05 Mar 2017, 10:24pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 9:46pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
I like starwars. I was 10 when I loved it. The prequels were pitiful. TFA seemed like a modern reselling/retelling of a story I already knew. I'm bored.
Okay, this only applies if you're actually immersed in SW (i.e., not a casual fan), but it's key to realize that the whole thing operates under Medieval or pre-modern ideas. That whole thing about it being a long time ago and knights and the importance of religion binding everyone, that's really important for how SW works. And one thing about pre-modern conceptions of time is that it's cyclical, not linear, so there's a belief that the experiences of the world basically repeat, varying slightly because of the actors. People do not make their own fate—that's a moden belief—but are called to play roles in the narrative of the world. TFA gets it right by having establishing that the story and the stakes and the roles must play out again. (Plus, the old pulps work under the premise that the villains never learn. The First Order does the Death Star thing because that's what the Empire did—twice—and bad guys have to go big.) So SW, if it's being true to its premise, must be about telling a story that has neither a beginning nor an ending, but one that spins. Judging it on modernist or even postmodernist grounds is going to find TFA boring or a rip off. And to each his own, but it's not accepting the premise of the story on its own terms.
I guess I felt like I could call the line before it was said. I liked it but it also further tarnished the original.
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49245
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Wolter » 05 Mar 2017, 10:46pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 9:46pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 6:53pm
The boss and I watched The Force Awakens again last night. I really do pity Star Wars fans who don't allow themselves to enjoy the fuck out of that movie. As someone who saw the first three during their original runs in the theatre, it captures so well everything that made those movies magical when I was a kid. If you hate TFA, I think it's valid to question why you claim to love Star Wars.
I like starwars. I was 10 when I loved it. The prequels were pitiful. TFA seemed like a modern reselling/retelling of a story I already knew. I'm bored.
Okay, this only applies if you're actually immersed in SW (i.e., not a casual fan), but it's key to realize that the whole thing operates under Medieval or pre-modern ideas. That whole thing about it being a long time ago and knights and the importance of religion binding everyone, that's really important for how SW works. And one thing about pre-modern conceptions of time is that it's cyclical, not linear, so there's a belief that the experiences of the world basically repeat, varying slightly because of the actors. People do not make their own fate—that's a moden belief—but are called to play roles in the narrative of the world. TFA gets it right by having establishing that the story and the stakes and the roles must play out again. (Plus, the old pulps work under the premise that the villains never learn. The First Order does the Death Star thing because that's what the Empire did—twice—and bad guys have to go big.) So SW, if it's being true to its premise, must be about telling a story that has neither a beginning nor an ending, but one that spins. Judging it on modernist or even postmodernist grounds is going to find TFA boring or a rip off. And to each his own, but it's not accepting the premise of the story on its own terms.
*nods sagely and puffs on bubble pipe*
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5306
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by revbob » 06 Mar 2017, 10:29pm

Wolter wrote:
05 Mar 2017, 10:46pm
...

*nods sagely and puffs on bubble pipe*
That's the funniest thing I'll read on here for quite some time.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71177
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla » 10 Mar 2017, 11:16am

Whenever I see this commercial …


… I think of this:
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Flex » 24 Apr 2017, 3:36pm

FAO Hookworm (again): Here's another thing you should buy: https://www.booster.com/prequelsgood
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71177
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Apr 2017, 3:42pm

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 3:36pm
FAO Hookworm (again): Here's another thing you should buy: https://www.booster.com/prequelsgood
Nice try, Lucas, nice try.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 31911
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Star Wars

Post by tepista » 24 Apr 2017, 4:37pm

i guess i'll rent that new star wars thing when it comes avail. on netflix. the last one was pretty not bad
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71177
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Dr. Medulla » 24 Apr 2017, 5:06pm

tepista wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 4:37pm
i guess i'll rent that new star wars thing when it comes avail. on netflix. the last one was pretty not bad
I had mixed feelings about it. It was dark and captivating, but it never felt like a Star Wars movie to me. Star Wars is a grand-scale epic, people playing out cosmic and pure roles of good and evil. Rogue One is street level and engages in more ambiguous characters, where the good guy rebels can behave in nasty ways and their efforts are less epic than the shitty job someone has to do for the heroes. On its own, it's a pretty affecting flick that is a couple cuts above popcorn but, yeah, not really Star Wars.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Wars

Post by Flex » 24 Apr 2017, 5:08pm

Rogue One might be my fave SW property after A New Hope, tbh. It was good.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests