A Language Question For The Linguists

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Jul 2017, 12:21pm

eumaas wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 12:01pm
Yeah, taking shoes off is a weird thing here. I'm uncomfortable in homes where I have to take off my shoes.
It's a curious thing, but of all the cultural differences between Saskatchewan and North Carolina that we were exposed to, that stands out most in my mind. Keeping my shoes on in people's homes kept me from relaxing. I always felt like I was going to leave right away.
JennyB wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 12:11pm
As long as there are no holes with creepy toes sticking out, socks are fine.
Anti-toeite. (Holes in socks—my own—drive me batty. Because I'm bad at throwing out clothes, there are some socks that I've just evolved into automatically doubling up to cover up the air touching my heel.)
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by matedog » 26 Jul 2017, 3:47pm

eumaas wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 10:25am
I've heard the term used, but we never used it in Virginia. Not sure about Maine. Never heard it there but it may be in use.
We used it in Virginia.

Actually, my New Jersey parents used the term and I picked it up from them.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by matedog » 26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm

I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Jul 2017, 4:15pm

matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm
I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
In Californighyay, is it expected to keep shoes on or off?
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by JennyB » 26 Jul 2017, 4:26pm

matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm
I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
I mean, I take off my shoes in my own house, but I don't want anyone else baring their disgusting feet around me (babies and toddlers excluded. Because their feet are cute).
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by matedog » 26 Jul 2017, 4:29pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:15pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm
I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
In Californighyay, is it expected to keep shoes on or off?
Asian houses off. White houses on.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19928
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by matedog » 26 Jul 2017, 4:30pm

JennyB wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:26pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm
I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
I mean, I take off my shoes in my own house, but I don't want anyone else baring their disgusting feet around me (babies and toddlers excluded. Because their feet are cute).
I don't really care too much either way, but if I think about it, people dragging in shit from the street into my house via bottoms of shoes seems worse than sweaty feet.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Jul 2017, 4:31pm

matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:15pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm
I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
In Californighyay, is it expected to keep shoes on or off?
Asian houses off. White houses on.
Everyone knows that rural Saskatchewan is the Japan of the prairies.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25036
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Flex » 26 Jul 2017, 4:43pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:31pm
Everyone knows that rural Saskatchewan is the Japan of the prairies.
Image
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15393
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by JennyB » 26 Jul 2017, 4:50pm

matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:30pm
JennyB wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:26pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm
I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
I mean, I take off my shoes in my own house, but I don't want anyone else baring their disgusting feet around me (babies and toddlers excluded. Because their feet are cute).
I don't really care too much either way, but if I think about it, people dragging in shit from the street into my house via bottoms of shoes seems worse than sweaty feet.
NO
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Jul 2017, 4:51pm

Flex wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:31pm
Everyone knows that rural Saskatchewan is the Japan of the prairies.
Image
I've been in dozens of those restaurants. Every one of them serves salad as long as you're cool with iceberg lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and Thousand Islands dressing. The burgers are always good, tho.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by eumaas » 26 Jul 2017, 5:19pm

Flex wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:31pm
Everyone knows that rural Saskatchewan is the Japan of the prairies.
Image
the wabi sabi is... impeccable
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71183
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla » 26 Jul 2017, 6:03pm

eumaas wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 5:19pm
Flex wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:31pm
Everyone knows that rural Saskatchewan is the Japan of the prairies.
Image
the wabi sabi is... impeccable
In Saskatchewan, it's unpronounceable.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22600
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by eumaas » 26 Jul 2017, 6:09pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 6:03pm
eumaas wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 5:19pm
Flex wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:31pm
Everyone knows that rural Saskatchewan is the Japan of the prairies.
Image
the wabi sabi is... impeccable
In Saskatchewan, it's unpronounceable.
That was my first good laugh of the day.
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5309
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by revbob » 26 Jul 2017, 7:08pm

matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:30pm
JennyB wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 4:26pm
matedog wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 3:48pm
I love having my shoes and socks off in my house. I always take them off as soon as I get in. Shoes are just awful. I'm happy to take them off in other peoples' homes, though I'd probably keep my socks on.
I mean, I take off my shoes in my own house, but I don't want anyone else baring their disgusting feet around me (babies and toddlers excluded. Because their feet are cute).
I don't really care too much either way, but if I think about it, people dragging in shit from the street into my house via bottoms of shoes seems worse than sweaty feet.
If you're staying and not going in the backyard take them off. If it's a party with outdoor action then keep them on. When I go to other houses I see what other people are doing and follow that lead.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests