A Language Question For The Linguists

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:30pm
Wolter wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:04pm
"Face" and "burn" really should make a comeback.
I definitely still use FACE.
I definitely still use FACE when schooling my long suffering husband. Proof that I am a terrible person? When that dude who murdered his family first did that news conference begging for his wife and daughters' return, I quietly said "he did it." Scott was like, "how do you know?" I responded, "and I bet he's having an affair, too." So when it all came out that he confessed to the murders and is likely having an affair, I simply said (while pointing my finger) "FACE!"
You're both solid citizens. I pity people who haven't experienced the pure joy of facing someone.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely still use FACE when schooling my long suffering husband. Proof that I am a terrible person? When that guy who murdered his family first did that news conference begging for his wife and daughters' return, I quietly said "he did it." Scott was like, "how do you know?" I responded, "and I bet he's having an affair, too." So when it all came out that he confessed to the murders and is likely having an affair, I simply said (while pointing my finger at VH) "FACE!"
Sometimes I just point at Ali like Donald Sutherland in the Body Snatchers remake, minus the scream.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:54pm
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely still use FACE when schooling my long suffering husband. Proof that I am a terrible person? When that guy who murdered his family first did that news conference begging for his wife and daughters' return, I quietly said "he did it." Scott was like, "how do you know?" I responded, "and I bet he's having an affair, too." So when it all came out that he confessed to the murders and is likely having an affair, I simply said (while pointing my finger at VH) "FACE!"
Sometimes I just point at Ali like Donald Sutherland in the Body Snatchers remake, minus the scream.
Our poor respective spouses.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:56pm
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
They make us listen to such terrible music though.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:01pm
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:

One of my greatest achievements in this and any past life is getting B to use the phrase, "There's your answer, fishbulb," to announce that a question has been satisfied.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:17pm
Wolter wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 3:01pm
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

One of my greatest achievements in this and any past life is getting B to use the phrase, "There's your answer, fishbulb," to announce that a question has been satisfied.
I just took off my glasses and nodded approvingly.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:31pm
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I definitely still use FACE when schooling my long suffering husband. Proof that I am a terrible person? When that dude who murdered his family first did that news conference begging for his wife and daughters' return, I quietly said "he did it." Scott was like, "how do you know?" I responded, "and I bet he's having an affair, too." So when it all came out that he confessed to the murders and is likely having an affair, I simply said (while pointing my finger) "FACE!"
You're both solid citizens. I pity people who haven't experienced the pure joy of facing someone.
I think we're still a little too close to the end of That 70s Show to use "burn" yet, but I do use "face" sometimes. I should use it more, but that would require actually talking to people to the point that I'm proven right in a disagreement.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think we're still a little too close to the end of That 70s Show to use "burn" yet, but I do use "face" sometimes. I should use it more, but that would require actually talking to people to the point that I'm proven right in a disagreement.
It's fine to face someone and walk away contemptuously before they can react.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 5:21pm
Kory wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 5:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:

It's fine to face someone and walk away contemptuously before they can react.
Even if there's no context for it? I like it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just did this to her via text.
Attachments
E5E4A8B6-B5A7-4697-9688-7D484F9F759A.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ha! That's fantastic.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 5:29pm
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I just did this to her via text.
Nice.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss was flipping channels and stopped at some bride show long enough for me to hear the phrase "boob mirage." I can kinda guess what that means, but I love the phrase on aesthetic grounds. It's so jarring yet it also flows well.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 6:48pm
The Boss was flipping channels and stopped at some bride show long enough for me to hear the phrase "boob mirage." I can kinda guess what that means, but I love the phrase on aesthetic grounds. It's so jarring yet it also flows well.
That would actually be a perfect phrase for drag queens to use when throwing shade. "You're not fooling anyone with that sad attempt at boob mirage, henny."
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 6:48pm
That would actually be a perfect phrase for drag queens to use when throwing shade. "You're not fooling anyone with that sad attempt at boob mirage, henny."
Yeah, I'm guessing from the context here it was about the gown making her boobs look better than they really are.