A Language Question For The Linguists

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Olaf »

Hooky & the Left Nuts - Boob Mirage

Expect the video to pop up in the Hairy thread soon.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:16am
JennyB wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 6:48pm
The Boss was flipping channels and stopped at some bride show long enough for me to hear the phrase "boob mirage." I can kinda guess what that means, but I love the phrase on aesthetic grounds. It's so jarring yet it also flows well.
That would actually be a perfect phrase for drag queens to use when throwing shade. "You're not fooling anyone with that sad attempt at boob mirage, henny."
Yeah, I'm guessing from the context here it was about the gown making her boobs look better than they really are.
Probably, but drag queens make everything better!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 11:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss was flipping channels and stopped at some bride show long enough for me to hear the phrase "boob mirage." I can kinda guess what that means, but I love the phrase on aesthetic grounds. It's so jarring yet it also flows well.
That would actually be a perfect phrase for drag queens to use when throwing shade. "You're not fooling anyone with that sad attempt at boob mirage, henny."
Yeah, I'm guessing from the context here it was about the gown making her boobs look better than they really are.
They scare me like clowns scare people 😳

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The first thing I thought of when I read this was Henny Youngman in drag. Google images produced only Uncle Milty as Cleopatra.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:43pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The first thing I thought of when I read this was Henny Youngman in drag. Google images produced only Uncle Milty as Cleopatra.

Not shown: Uncle Milty's horse cock.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:38pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Drag Queen Clowns ...great name for a band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 3:43pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ugh. You are so removed from drag culture it hurts. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Really?
Got a Rake? Sure!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 4:43pm
101Walterton wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Really?
Yes.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

End of year exam season his for school kids and as usual there is controversy.
It was in a Level 2 History exam. Level 2 would be equivalent of 1st year of A Levels in UK ( lower 6th year- penultimate school year).
The main essay question involved the word ‘trivial’ but apparently most kids did not know what trivial meant and thought it was the exact opposite of what it actually means (as that is the way the corriculum was taught.
So the essays will be marked whichever way the essay was written :huh:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 2:37pm
It was in a Level 2 History exam. Level 2 would be equivalent of 1st year of A Levels in UK ( lower 6th year- penultimate school year).
The main essay question involved the word ‘trivial’ but apparently most kids did not know what trivial meant and thought it was the exact opposite of what it actually means (as that is the way the corriculum was taught.
Seems like such a small matter to me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
If it was a fairly common problem, as you suggest, that's a fair solution. If only a couple kids didn't understand the question, well, too bad, dummy. But if most were confused, it suggests the creator of the exam didn't construct it well and/or didn't explain it to the students before they began writing. We can groan about ignorance and all that, but if it's that widespread, it falls, broadly speaking, on the teachers and you don't punish students for that.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 2:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
If it was a fairly common problem, as you suggest, that's a fair solution. If only a couple kids didn't understand the question, well, too bad, dummy. But if most were confused, it suggests the creator of the exam didn't construct it well and/or didn't explain it to the students before they began writing. We can groan about ignorance and all that, but if it's that widespread, it falls, broadly speaking, on the teachers and you don't punish students for that.
Yep I realise it was a History exam that was designed to test their knowledge of the subject and not a test of their vocabulary knowledge but I was surprised that most of the kids did not know the meaning of the word ‘trivial’, is it really that out of date?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 4:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 2:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
Yep I realise it was a History exam that was designed to test their knowledge of the subject and not a test of their vocabulary knowledge but I was surprised that most of the kids did not know the meaning of the word ‘trivial’, is it really that out of date?
It's not something I would quickly believe is antiquated in some way, but I'm not overly surprised anymore by "basic" things that young people aren't taught. But it is on the education system and what parents want for their kids.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
Wait, what? Is there some other accepted definition of trivial?