A Language Question For The Linguists

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: A Language Question For The Linguists

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Say, is anyone aware of the word scoff, meaning to steal? As in, “That fucker scoffed my pen.” It just popped in my head, but it's something I associate with junior high school (so, early 80s) and I don't think I've heard it in that usage since that time. And maybe it's a regional thing for all I know.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 7:29am
Say, is anyone aware of the word scoff, meaning to steal? As in, “That fucker scoffed my pen.” It just popped in my head, but it's something I associate with junior high school (so, early 80s) and I don't think I've heard it in that usage since that time. And maybe it's a regional thing for all I know.
We use it here for the word "eaten' as in "I just scoffed my dinner down". I assume it means to do something quickly so I see how it could be used for "stealing". I normally use the word "snaffled" but that is more like "grabbed" than "stealing".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 7:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
We use it here for the word "eaten' as in "I just scoffed my dinner down". I assume it means to do something quickly so I see how it could be used for "stealing". I normally use the word "snaffled" but that is more like "grabbed" than "stealing".
For eating quickly, I've sometimes heard the term “scarfed down”—pretty close. I would guess, yeah, that all those variations of spelling and usage come from the same origin of doing something quickly and kind of unseemly.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 7:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 7:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For eating quickly, I've sometimes heard the term “scarfed down”—pretty close. I would guess, yeah, that all those variations of spelling and usage come from the same origin of doing something quickly and kind of unseemly.
That's it mate spot on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I use "gank" or "yoink."
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 12:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I use "gank" or "yoink."
Yoink (like meh) was actually invented by a Simpsons writer, no?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 12:36pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I use "gank" or "yoink."
I've always assumed so, I wouldn't know how to look it up though.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I use "gank" or "yoink."
What you don't have your Simpsons dictionary handy.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I use "gank" or "yoink."
I use “gank.” I say “yoink” when I gank things.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I use "gank" or "yoink."
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/yoink

Wiktionary suggests George Meyer coined it fro The Simpsons, tho the word has an earlier existence and meaning. Another site says it's not in OED.

Also, I've never heard the term gank, so something learned!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

One bit of slang that was apparently limited to my middle school, specifically the black students, though we whiteys definitely appropriated it was “bap,” used specifically when someone was proven wrong in an argument. It was both an exclamation or a noun.

When proven correct you would say some variation of “bap!”
“Oh, bap!”
“Bap! In your face!”
Or possibly:
“You get a bap!”

One that wasn’t my school-centered was the Spanish word “bobo,” but used more to mean cheap or shoddy than the traditional “stupid or foolish”

“Those shoes are so bobo.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"Face" and "burn" really should make a comeback.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:04pm
I definitely still use FACE.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 2:04pm
I definitely still use FACE.
I definitely still use FACE when schooling my long suffering husband. Proof that I am a terrible person? When that guy who murdered his family first did that news conference begging for his wife and daughters' return, I quietly said "he did it." Scott was like, "how do you know?" I responded, "and I bet he's having an affair, too." So when it all came out that he confessed to the murders and is likely having an affair, I simply said (while pointing my finger at VH) "FACE!"
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy