Shortwave radio listeners?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
modskin
Unknown Immortal

Shortwave radio listeners?

Post by modskin »

Anyone here into Shortwave listening?

I'm looking to buy a SW receiver/portable in the $150 range and have been checking out the Kaito 1103 most of all.

Anyone into this and can offer advice? I used to have an old Sony analog, but I left it on the kitchen counter when I was about 14 and my ma burnt the tuning knob all to hell on the electric pancake griddle. No shit.

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Re: Shortwave radio listeners?

Post by modskin »

Hrrrmmm.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Sorry.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

modskin wrote:Anyone here into Shortwave listening?

I'm looking to buy a SW receiver/portable in the $150 range and have been checking out the Kaito 1103 most of all.

Anyone into this and can offer advice? I used to have an old Sony analog, but I left it on the kitchen counter when I was about 14 and my ma burnt the tuning knob all to hell on the electric pancake griddle. No shit.
I have one - it's a Grundig YB 400PE - but I never used it much for the shortwave, more for pulling in Indians games and pre-satellite Stern back when I lived in the sticks (but just close enough to a real city to get the stations I wanted with a good radio). I think Radio Shack had it for around the $150 you mentioned, but that was in '02, it's probably less now. The shortwave seemed good enough the few times I tried pulling in Radio Havana and the BBC on it, but the AM/FM tuner is red hot, which is why I keep it around. Right now I live in the sticks of central PA and there's an AM radio tower broadcasting within 1/10 of a mile of my back window...and still I'm pulling in the Indians game on AM from Cleveland, which is about 300 miles away, on the thing with no interference (the aforementioned radio tower destroys any distant signal on my other radios). I imagine that says something positive for its shortwave reception capabilities as well.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Wolter wrote:Sorry.
Unacceptable!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

modskin wrote:
Unacceptable!
Not all of us grew up in the 40s in a shack in Kansas...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Wolter wrote:
modskin wrote:
Unacceptable!
Not all of us grew up in the 40s in a shack in Kansas...
I'm turning into an old man/12-year-old nerd.

All I want to do is listen to coded spy transmissions on shortwave and ride bikes.