Star Trek

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50276
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 05 Jan 2018, 10:19am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
Escape from and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes might be prequels, might be sequels, depending on how you want to approach them. Regardless, love 'em both. Battle for the Planet of the Apes is a prequel, tho, and it mostly blows. Are they Apes films supposed to fit in with the originals as prequels or are they true reboots? The first two are excellent, but this last one was a pretty generic action flick.

I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
Sort of. Also alt. Timeline.

EDIT: also reboot after the execrable X3.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75857
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 05 Jan 2018, 11:23am

Wolter wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 10:19am
EDIT: also reboot after the execrable X3.
It's an odd thing that (most) superhero movies are extremely successful in terms of profitability, yet they keep getting rebooted. Spider-man's on his third(?) version. X-Men got started over. Eventually the Fantastic Four will get another shot and you know that it'll get rebooted. Superman, Batman. The Daredevil tv series vis a vis the movie. It seems like a complete mess given superhero comics have depended on some kind of continuity for over five decades now, but maybe that is the sensible thing, to keep from getting hung up by old stories. (And, to bring it back to The Last Jedi, the assertion about letting the past die.)
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25938
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex » 05 Jan 2018, 11:30am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
I saw X-Men First Class, which was easily better than any of the X-Men flicks that came before it.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50276
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 05 Jan 2018, 11:31am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:23am
Wolter wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 10:19am
EDIT: also reboot after the execrable X3.
It's an odd thing that (most) superhero movies are extremely successful in terms of profitability, yet they keep getting rebooted. Spider-man's on his third(?) version. X-Men got started over. Eventually the Fantastic Four will get another shot and you know that it'll get rebooted. Superman, Batman. The Daredevil tv series vis a vis the movie. It seems like a complete mess given superhero comics have depended on some kind of continuity for over five decades now, but maybe that is the sensible thing, to keep from getting hung up by old stories. (And, to bring it back to The Last Jedi, the assertion about letting the past die.)
I thought the best thing about the most recent Spider-Man reboot was that it alludes vaguely to his origin once. We don’t need to see Uncle Ben anymore. Let’s get to the Spider-Manning.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50276
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 05 Jan 2018, 11:32am

Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
I saw X-Men First Class, which was easily better than any of the X-Men flicks that came before it.
Haven’t seen that yet, but yeah. I don’t get the pedestal people put the first two X-movies on. Future Past was handily better than any of the original 3 movies.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25938
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex » 05 Jan 2018, 11:35am

Wolter wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:32am
Haven’t seen that yet, but yeah. I don’t get the pedestal people put the first two X-movies on. Future Past was handily better than any of the original 3 movies.
I remember renting a condo a few years ago and during rainy patches we watched the original X trilogy, which was one of the only dvd sets the place had stocked. I remember basically enjoying at least the first one when it came out, but all three were pretty unwatchable, imho.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50276
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 05 Jan 2018, 12:04pm

Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:35am
Wolter wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:32am
Haven’t seen that yet, but yeah. I don’t get the pedestal people put the first two X-movies on. Future Past was handily better than any of the original 3 movies.
I remember renting a condo a few years ago and during rainy patches we watched the original X trilogy, which was one of the only dvd sets the place had stocked. I remember basically enjoying at least the first one when it came out, but all three were pretty unwatchable, imho.
I checked the first two out from the library last summer. I didn’t even finish 2, which is the one many fans consider the best.

ADDENDUM: I refuse to rewatch X-3, because it was such unmitigated garbage. The best part of Future Past was that it erased X-3 from continuity.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 75857
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 05 Jan 2018, 12:11pm

Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:35am
Wolter wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:32am
Haven’t seen that yet, but yeah. I don’t get the pedestal people put the first two X-movies on. Future Past was handily better than any of the original 3 movies.
I remember renting a condo a few years ago and during rainy patches we watched the original X trilogy, which was one of the only dvd sets the place had stocked. I remember basically enjoying at least the first one when it came out, but all three were pretty unwatchable, imho.
I haven't watched them in years, but I remembering liking the first two when it came out. I shrugged at Days of Future Past when I watched it on Netflix, but I admit that it's almost wholly on me because I just don't get that enthused about the superhero movies. As I've said before, I'm unable to properly separate the movies from the comics, and the latter always end up being much better for me for any number of reasons (I can control the pace in my head, fill in the blanks, all that). I'm really the wrong audience for superhero flicks.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23244
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Star Trek

Post by eumaas » 05 Jan 2018, 12:28pm

I liked the Fassbender Magneto movies but the last one was a bit of a dud.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50276
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 05 Jan 2018, 12:35pm

eumaas wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 12:28pm
I liked the Fassbender Magneto movies but the last one was a bit of a dud.
Yeah. I heard that. I also heard they cut a scene of 80s X-Men hanging out in a mall, which shows a surprising lack of understanding of what X-Men is. No malls? No baseball? Boo.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 05 Jan 2018, 1:42pm

Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
I saw X-Men First Class, which was easily better than any of the X-Men flicks that came before it.
I was livid about the roster.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23244
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Star Trek

Post by eumaas » 05 Jan 2018, 2:55pm

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 1:42pm
Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
I saw X-Men First Class, which was easily better than any of the X-Men flicks that came before it.
I was livid about the roster.
what does that sentence mean
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13510
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Silent Majority » 05 Jan 2018, 3:47pm

eumaas wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 1:42pm
Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
I saw X-Men First Class, which was easily better than any of the X-Men flicks that came before it.
I was livid about the roster.
what does that sentence mean
Something about Foghorn Leghorn, I think.
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 05 Jan 2018, 5:09pm

eumaas wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 1:42pm
Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
I saw X-Men First Class, which was easily better than any of the X-Men flicks that came before it.
I was livid about the roster.
what does that sentence mean
It means the "team" that was supposedly the first class in that film was a slap in the face to any decent fan of the comics.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23244
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Star Trek

Post by eumaas » 05 Jan 2018, 7:59pm

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 5:09pm
eumaas wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 1:42pm
Flex wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 9:57am
I've only seen the Days of Future Past film, but are all the recent X-Men movies prequels to the first one?
I saw X-Men First Class, which was easily better than any of the X-Men flicks that came before it.
I was livid about the roster.
what does that sentence mean
It means the "team" that was supposedly the first class in that film was a slap in the face to any decent fan of the comics.
It was a good flick.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests