Star Trek

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5272
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by revbob » 08 Sep 2017, 6:31pm

Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:33pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:14pm
I gotta get started on this show, but I was compelled to start Twin Peaks again.
I kinda envy you being in a position to experience this show for the first time. It really is the best installment of Trek.
TNG has my heart so it has its work cut out for it, but I have an open mind.
It has Worf and hands down the best captain.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 08 Sep 2017, 6:38pm

revbob wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 6:31pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:33pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:14pm
I gotta get started on this show, but I was compelled to start Twin Peaks again.
I kinda envy you being in a position to experience this show for the first time. It really is the best installment of Trek.
TNG has my heart so it has its work cut out for it, but I have an open mind.
It has Worf and hands down the best captain.
Better writing and thicker characterization, too. I like TNG and all, but compared to DS9 it feels really thin. It benefited greatly from having a series-long storyline that encouraged giving a damn about the fate of the characters.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7332
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 08 Sep 2017, 7:51pm

revbob wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 6:31pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:33pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:14pm
I gotta get started on this show, but I was compelled to start Twin Peaks again.
I kinda envy you being in a position to experience this show for the first time. It really is the best installment of Trek.
TNG has my heart so it has its work cut out for it, but I have an open mind.
It has Worf and hands down the best captain.
We'll see about that.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5272
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by revbob » 09 Sep 2017, 8:10am

Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 7:51pm
revbob wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 6:31pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 5:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:33pm
Kory wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 12:14pm
I gotta get started on this show, but I was compelled to start Twin Peaks again.
I kinda envy you being in a position to experience this show for the first time. It really is the best installment of Trek.
TNG has my heart so it has its work cut out for it, but I have an open mind.
It has Worf and hands down the best captain.
We'll see about that.
Okay simply a matter of opinion but Avery Brooks i feel has a more commanding screen presence. As Doc says the writing and storyline is better. Having that underlying continuity is part of what makes it stronger than TNG. The episodes standalone well on their own but are a part of a bigger story.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 09 Sep 2017, 9:08am

revbob wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 8:10am
Okay simply a matter of opinion but Avery Brooks i feel has a more commanding screen presence. As Doc says the writing and storyline is better. Having that underlying continuity is part of what makes it stronger than TNG. The episodes standalone well on their own but are a part of a bigger story.
One notable way that Sisko stands out from all the other Star Trek captains is that he is conflicted—between his roles as a military man, a perceived prophet to the Bajorans, and as a father (and a widowed one at that). All the other captains have a certain sweeping confidence in their identities as military leaders, but he has often clashing responsibilities in those other two roles. In a few episodes, too, he's aware that even if racism has mostly been conquered in his present, being a black man carries historical scars. That's one thing DS9 did so well, pushing characters into situations where they were conflicted and challenged, sometimes making morally dubious choices because they were the least evil or hoping for a better outcome. Again, this is something I think that could only be done when treating the series in a serialized manner rather than something purely episodic, because it necessarily requires characters to be altered by their past experiences, making them fuller.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25002
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex » 15 Sep 2017, 11:21am

Love this photo set:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 12:05pm

*snort* Room for Denise Crosby but not Wil Wheaton.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25002
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex » 15 Sep 2017, 12:12pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:05pm
*snort* Room for Denise Crosby but not Wil Wheaton.
I think the bigger slam is room for John de Lancie, who was never a regular cast member, but not Wil Wheaton. In any case, good call sticking with this bunch. Great photos.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7332
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 15 Sep 2017, 12:56pm

Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:05pm
*snort* Room for Denise Crosby but not Wil Wheaton.
I think the bigger slam is room for John de Lancie, who was never a regular cast member, but not Wil Wheaton. In any case, good call sticking with this bunch. Great photos.
When I went to the TNG reunion in Calgary a few years ago, there was a very heartfelt moment in which Wil Wheaton mentioned that he was regretful and sorry that he was such a punk kid with attitude, deciding he didn't need TNG and tried to go on to bigger and better things. The rest of the cast seemed quite touched.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 1:12pm

Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:05pm
*snort* Room for Denise Crosby but not Wil Wheaton.
I think the bigger slam is room for John de Lancie, who was never a regular cast member, but not Wil Wheaton. In any case, good call sticking with this bunch. Great photos.
When I went to the TNG reunion in Calgary a few years ago, there was a very heartfelt moment in which Wil Wheaton mentioned that he was regretful and sorry that he was such a punk kid with attitude, deciding he didn't need TNG and tried to go on to bigger and better things. The rest of the cast seemed quite touched.
He's written about those gatherings several times, it seems. Maybe it was just the once, the one you were at, but it seems like he's milking that whole apologies/forgiveness thing.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7332
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 15 Sep 2017, 3:12pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 1:12pm
Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:05pm
*snort* Room for Denise Crosby but not Wil Wheaton.
I think the bigger slam is room for John de Lancie, who was never a regular cast member, but not Wil Wheaton. In any case, good call sticking with this bunch. Great photos.
When I went to the TNG reunion in Calgary a few years ago, there was a very heartfelt moment in which Wil Wheaton mentioned that he was regretful and sorry that he was such a punk kid with attitude, deciding he didn't need TNG and tried to go on to bigger and better things. The rest of the cast seemed quite touched.
He's written about those gatherings several times, it seems. Maybe it was just the once, the one you were at, but it seems like he's milking that whole apologies/forgiveness thing.
I guess that's why he was left off the photo shoot. He's an annoying bastard.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 15 Sep 2017, 4:03pm

Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 3:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 1:12pm
Kory wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:56pm
Flex wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 12:05pm
*snort* Room for Denise Crosby but not Wil Wheaton.
I think the bigger slam is room for John de Lancie, who was never a regular cast member, but not Wil Wheaton. In any case, good call sticking with this bunch. Great photos.
When I went to the TNG reunion in Calgary a few years ago, there was a very heartfelt moment in which Wil Wheaton mentioned that he was regretful and sorry that he was such a punk kid with attitude, deciding he didn't need TNG and tried to go on to bigger and better things. The rest of the cast seemed quite touched.
He's written about those gatherings several times, it seems. Maybe it was just the once, the one you were at, but it seems like he's milking that whole apologies/forgiveness thing.
I guess that's why he was left off the photo shoot. He's an annoying bastard.
I used to read his blog until he became obsessed with talking about poker strategy. Nobody cares about pockets Jacks, you asshole.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25002
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex » 15 Sep 2017, 4:17pm

Wil overshot. He want from insufferable to redeemed and sorta relatable right back to unbelievably insufferable.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25002
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex » 25 Sep 2017, 12:19am

Verdict on the new trek: I liked it.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71077
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Sep 2017, 8:01am

Watched this morning. If this is going to be the mood of this version of Trek, I doubt I'll watch. Low light and lotsa stylized, fast-moving violence. And I've never ever been interested in the anthropology of Klingons—worse, presenting their dialogue wholly as subtitles! Let's just pretend the viewers have universal translators, 'k?—so the yada yada blah blah about honour and combat, etc is tedious. However, I do like the idea of focusing on a human trained in Vulcan ways and is motivated by redemption. And I really dig having the main character be a black woman, better reflecting pluralism and sending the angry racist and sexist nerds into paroxysms of despair. But I did get an uncomfortable Enterprise vibe that this is about satisfying hardcore Trek fans first and foremost.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: revbob and 4 guests