Star Trek

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25004
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Flex » 31 Jul 2017, 4:16pm

I did not realize William Shatner was narrated Operation Bikini.

Regarding, actor connection to the material, it's weird - I guess - to expect it, but a lot of the franchise cast members over the years have been fairly vocal about the pride they have in being part of what's seen as a leading portrayal of progressivism and equality. Some of his cast members, I think, helped foster the notion that the actors stand by the message of the on-screen work they did. Too bad Shatner isn't one of them.

But, dude is an old white guy that even at his best was considered kind of a dick. Not too surprising that he sunk to this at the end of his life.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Star Trek

Post by JennyB » 01 Aug 2017, 9:44am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 3:26pm
Is anyone genuinely surprised by Shatner's recent rant? The line between amusing dickhead and appalling dickhead was always thin with him, but good on Bill for clearing up any ambiguity.
Remember the story I told a few years back about when he bought some furniture from my parents' store? If not, he was in town with the wife that "accidentally" drowned ( :shifty: ) for a horse show. They were staying at the hotel next to my parents' store. He came in a bought a whole bunch of furniture. When coordinating with my dad about the shipping details, my dad said "maybe we could beam it to you." My dad immediately regretted saying this, as he was shot daggers by Shat and was worried he would cancel the order. I get it. You're tired of people referencing Star Trek. But how the hell are you able to afford your fancy horse shows and furniture? Lighten up, Francis.

TL:DR - Shat is a dick.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 7970
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: Star Trek

Post by Inder » 01 Aug 2017, 9:53am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 4:03pm
Kory wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 3:46pm
Wolter wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 3:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 3:26pm
Is anyone genuinely surprised by Shatner's recent rant? The line between amusing dickhead and appalling dickhead was always thin with him, but good on Bill for clearing up any ambiguity.
As I said on Twitter, somewhere there is a superior mirror universe where Nimoy is the one still alive.
What was it this time?
A fill-in-the-blanks rant about SJWs and snowflakes: http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/william- ... 1797386393




Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2017, 10:41am

JennyB wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 9:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 3:26pm
Is anyone genuinely surprised by Shatner's recent rant? The line between amusing dickhead and appalling dickhead was always thin with him, but good on Bill for clearing up any ambiguity.
Remember the story I told a few years back about when he bought some furniture from my parents' store? If not, he was in town with the wife that "accidentally" drowned ( :shifty: ) for a horse show. They were staying at the hotel next to my parents' store. He came in a bought a whole bunch of furniture. When coordinating with my dad about the shipping details, my dad said "maybe we could beam it to you." My dad immediately regretted saying this, as he was shot daggers by Shat and was worried he would cancel the order. I get it. You're tired of people referencing Star Trek. But how the hell are you able to afford your fancy horse shows and furniture? Lighten up, Francis.

TL:DR - Shat is a dick.
Actors who bitch about being tied to characters they've played are ungrateful assholes. You've obviously created something meaningful to a lot of people—which, as an artist, should be kinda, you know, gratifying—and likely made you wealthy. Boo hoo, too bad you're not still sleeping on friends' couches and doing dinner theatre in New Bumwad, SD.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 15369
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Star Trek

Post by JennyB » 01 Aug 2017, 10:45am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 10:41am
JennyB wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 9:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 3:26pm
Is anyone genuinely surprised by Shatner's recent rant? The line between amusing dickhead and appalling dickhead was always thin with him, but good on Bill for clearing up any ambiguity.
Remember the story I told a few years back about when he bought some furniture from my parents' store? If not, he was in town with the wife that "accidentally" drowned ( :shifty: ) for a horse show. They were staying at the hotel next to my parents' store. He came in a bought a whole bunch of furniture. When coordinating with my dad about the shipping details, my dad said "maybe we could beam it to you." My dad immediately regretted saying this, as he was shot daggers by Shat and was worried he would cancel the order. I get it. You're tired of people referencing Star Trek. But how the hell are you able to afford your fancy horse shows and furniture? Lighten up, Francis.

TL:DR - Shat is a dick.
Actors who bitch about being tied to characters they've played are ungrateful assholes. You've obviously created something meaningful to a lot of people—which, as an artist, should be kinda, you know, gratifying—and likely made you wealthy. Boo hoo, too bad you're not still sleeping on friends' couches and doing dinner theatre in New Bumwad, SD.
Right?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 01 Aug 2017, 12:53pm

Let's talk about Patrick Stewart instead. Everybody knows Picard is the superior captain anyway.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71084
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Dr. Medulla » 01 Aug 2017, 1:03pm

Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 12:53pm
Let's talk about Patrick Stewart instead. Everybody knows Picard is the superior captain anyway.
It's spelled Sisko.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22595
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Star Trek

Post by eumaas » 01 Aug 2017, 1:07pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 12:53pm
Let's talk about Patrick Stewart instead. Everybody knows Picard is the superior captain anyway.
It's spelled Sisko.
+1
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 01 Aug 2017, 1:13pm

eumaas wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 12:53pm
Let's talk about Patrick Stewart instead. Everybody knows Picard is the superior captain anyway.
It's spelled Sisko.
+1
You guys just like being contrary.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22595
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: Carrboro/Alamut

Re: Star Trek

Post by eumaas » 01 Aug 2017, 1:17pm

Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:13pm
eumaas wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 12:53pm
Let's talk about Patrick Stewart instead. Everybody knows Picard is the superior captain anyway.
It's spelled Sisko.
+1
You guys just like being contrary.
nah, it's just the best trek
"The only thing that really occurs to me that I can say on this is to point out how fascinating it is that the Hassan-i-Sabbah archetype keeps turning up over and over again ... He disappears up into the mountains and is never seen again. Believe me, he'll never be seen again. He'll live forever because of that."

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 01 Aug 2017, 1:32pm

eumaas wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:17pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:13pm
eumaas wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:03pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 12:53pm
Let's talk about Patrick Stewart instead. Everybody knows Picard is the superior captain anyway.
It's spelled Sisko.
+1
You guys just like being contrary.
nah, it's just the best trek
I've only seen a handful. What pushes it above TNG?
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 01 Aug 2017, 1:39pm

Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:32pm
eumaas wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:17pm
Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:13pm
eumaas wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:03pm


It's spelled Sisko.
+1
You guys just like being contrary.
nah, it's just the best trek
I've only seen a handful. What pushes it above TNG?
Mostly by not being TNG.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 01 Aug 2017, 1:41pm

(To be perfectly clear: I just wanted to bag on TNG because it's fun to do so. I have no agenda otherwise)
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 7338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Star Trek

Post by Kory » 01 Aug 2017, 1:45pm

Wolter wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:41pm
(To be perfectly clear: I just wanted to bag on TNG because it's fun to do so. I have no agenda otherwise)
You belong in the Delta Quadrant.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 49225
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Star Trek

Post by Wolter » 01 Aug 2017, 1:47pm

Kory wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:45pm
Wolter wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 1:41pm
(To be perfectly clear: I just wanted to bag on TNG because it's fun to do so. I have no agenda otherwise)
You belong in the Delta Quadrant.
Is that a Voyager reference? Goddamn, what a terrible show that was.
"There's something more honest, he believed, about traditional methods of mass starvation, labour camps, and machine gunning millions to death. Stalin was a vinyl guy who sneered at Truman converting everything to compact disc." - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests