Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:21pm
Flex wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:09pm
for filing bootlegs, i like YYYYMMDD because it's the best way for dates to naturally sort themselves. My biographer (Hooky) can feel free to make a note of that preference.
I use that when naming files that have dates (like paystubs) for that very reason. The obsessive efficiency part of me would fully support making that convention in speech and writing.

Also, writing about your awkward years is going to be so much fun. It'll be a shame when they finally end.
Can you do mine as well, Doc? It can open with the trauma of me receiving a FRANKY SAYS RELAX t-shirt.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:28pm
eumaas wrote:
Heston wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:16pm
eumaas wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:06pm
Heston wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:03pm
A comprehensive map of every country in the world that uses the MMDDYYYY format

I mean, I also think that format is stupid, but what can we do?
We lost 11 days when we switched to the Gregorian Calendar, would it be too much to just switch the digits back around?
Do you think ordinary people have all that much influence over what happens here? Take it up with Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg.
"Tech Titans Found Dead, Discarded Salad Cream Packets, Terrible Music Litter Grisly Scene"
Police were unable to explain why the suspect had pastrami covering his penis.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:09pm
for filing bootlegs, i like YYYYMMDD because it's the best way for dates to naturally sort themselves. My biographer (Hooky) can feel free to make a note of that preference.
I use that when naming files that have dates (like paystubs) for that very reason. The obsessive efficiency part of me would fully support making that convention in speech and writing.

Also, writing about your awkward years is going to be so much fun. It'll be a shame when they finally end.
Can you do mine as well, Doc? It can open with the trauma of me receiving a FRANKY SAYS RELAX t-shirt.
Tho I'd end up going mad trying to convey your worldview, it's a challenge I couldn't resist.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
So I worked with a guy from England and he was obviously over 21. He got shit at a bar in Texas because the bouncer couldn't comprehend that his ID was in ddmmyyyy format.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
10 May 2018, 8:09pm
Heston wrote:
So I worked with a guy from England and he was obviously over 21. He got shit at a bar in Texas because the bouncer couldn't comprehend that his ID was in ddmmyyyy format.
If that had happened to me, it would only mean I got to drink a month earlier.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I've been seeing it sometimes entering data at work and it always throws me. "The tenth of the seventeenth, what the fuck?"
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:32pm
Inder wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:28pm
eumaas wrote:
Heston wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:16pm
eumaas wrote:
10 May 2018, 6:06pm

I mean, I also think that format is stupid, but what can we do?
We lost 11 days when we switched to the Gregorian Calendar, would it be too much to just switch the digits back around?
Do you think ordinary people have all that much influence over what happens here? Take it up with Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg.
"Tech Titans Found Dead, Discarded Salad Cream Packets, Terrible Music Litter Grisly Scene"
Police were unable to explain why the suspect had pastrami covering his penis.
And the black and white makeup left on the bodies.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

So, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that my boss is out of the office today. I'm not doing any work and I brought my dog in. The bad news is that one of my coworkers has taken this to mean that she can play music loudly. Thus far, she has been playing a mix of Barenaked Ladies and Dave Matthews. I can somewhat handle it by putting earphones in, but how is my dog going to handle this?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:14am
So, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that my boss is out of the office today. I'm not doing any work and I brought my dog in. The bad news is that one of my coworkers has taken this to mean that she can play music loudly. Thus far, she has been playing a mix of Barenaked Ladies and Dave Matthews. I can somewhat handle it by putting earphones in, but how is my dog going to handle this?
Sing along loudly and sarcastically so she can't enjoy her Floy music.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:23am
JennyB wrote:
How do I do that when I don't know the words? Oh my god, this Dave Matthews song is live and never ending. He keeps repeating the same phrase over and over again. I literally just plugged my ears like a petulant child.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dear god. The Barenaked Ladies are back.
Got a Rake? Sure!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:29am
Dear god. The Barenaked Ladies are back.
BNL ain't so bad.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
I thought you said you had bad news. :huh:

Saw BNL do a free show a few years back. Tasty. :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:48am
JennyB wrote:
I thought you said you had bad news. :huh:

Saw BNL do a free show a few years back. Tasty. :cool:
You are both terrible, horrible, very bad people!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:23am
JennyB wrote:
How do I do that when I don't know the words? Oh my god, this Dave Matthews song is live and never ending. He keeps repeating the same phrase over and over again. I literally just plugged my ears like a petulant child.
Make up your own lyrics. The point is to be annoying and sarcastically boisterous. "Yeah yeah, I'm Dave Matthews, and I write such great songs that every person loves because I'm Dave Matthews. Yeah, who doesn't like Dave Matthews? No one! Because everyone loves Dave Matthews!" Etc, etc, etc.