Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 9:06pm
JennyB wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 10:01am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 3:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2019, 8:40pm
The Boss and I have survived the most grueling ordeal of any marriage: assembling an Ikea wardrobe. And it ain't right. The one door is noticeably higher than the other, but we can't figure out what happened. All the pieces are flush, everything is level (I checked with an actual level), and we've played with the hinge fine-tuning, but it's still way off. We've assembled one of these things before and it went fine, but this is behaving like there's a skew somewhere, even tho the level says it's fine. Baffling.
Undoubtedly most—all?—of you have been losing sleep at night wondering whether we ever fixed that Ikea wardrobe. Sleep well, sweet princes and princesses, we got it taken care of today. The long delay was because the Boss went to Sask for the rest of the month and only today did we find the time/inclination to fix it. She was convinced we'd have to take it all apart and start over, but I thought we'd just have to take off the back panel, then loosen and retighten the side screws, while using the inside crossbars to brace and align the whole thing. Actually having the doors on helped a great deal for visually aligning things. Getting the back panel off was tough—all those nails—but, yup, it's good now. Slow process but never in doubt in my own mind. At worst, we'd hire a handyman to figure it out, but I didn't think it'd come to that.
Operation Great Job!
As a recent assembler of an Ikea king bed w/ built-in drawers you have my heartfelt sympathy/congratulations.
Support group hug!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 9:23pm
A couple of pigeons have been roosting in our building's garage the past few months and I'd grown accustomed to mentally saying hello every morning on the way out. This evening I went by and someone had run over one of the birds -- the other two were sitting sadly beside it. I feel terrible. :(
I feel for you Inder, you don’t think of animals as having feelings like us but they do.
Every year when duck shooting season starts a pair of Paradise Ducks come and hang out in our park ( smart ducks). But every year I worry that one will turn up alone as they mate for life.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My kid went on a date the other day and the girl showed up wearing a Bruce Springsteen shirt. I haven't discussed this with my son yet. Thankfully it wasn't Phil Collins or Billy Joel I dont think I would have been able to hold my tongue

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 3:58pm
My kid went on a date the other day and the girl showed up wearing a Bruce Springsteen shirt. I haven't discussed this with my son yet. Thankfully it wasn't Phil Collins or Billy Joel I dont think I would have been able to hold my tongue
Maybe she was being ironic, mocking middle-aged sportswriters?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:15pm
revbob wrote:
I figure that must be some parental influence.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:15pm
revbob wrote:
I figure that must be some parental influence.
Goddammit, parents, you're letting your kids down!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
Wait wait wait. Ok, so I'm aware of PC hate extensively. Forget that, what's wrong with Joel? He's written some classics.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BitterTom wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:42pm
revbob wrote:
Wait wait wait. Ok, so I'm aware of PC hate extensively. Forget that, what's wrong with Joel? He's written some classics.
Speaking only for myself, BJ is the worst ever born and I'd listen to an hour of PC before I'd listen to 5 minutes of BJ.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

tepista wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:47pm
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
Speaking only for myself, BJ is the worst ever born and I'd listen to an hour of PC before I'd listen to 5 minutes of BJ.
Genuinely shocked here. Didn't think of Joel as a disliked artist like good ol' Phil.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:51pm
tepista wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
Genuinely shocked here. Didn't think of Joel as a disliked artist like good ol' Phil.
He’s fairly despised, especially in punk circles. I don’t have huge opinions about him, but I like to drag him because my wife is a huge fan.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

BitterTom wrote:
tepista wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
He even said himself that only the good die young, and here he is still hangin' around at 70.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

tepista wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
I would flip it. I can tolerate some Joel. Far more than I can Collins.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wolter wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:58pm
BitterTom wrote:
tepista wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
He’s fairly despised, especially in punk circles. I don’t have huge opinions about him, but I like to drag him because my wife is a huge fan.
Still surprised but chortled.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Wolter wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 4:58pm
tepista wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
revbob wrote:
I would flip it. I can tolerate some Joel. Far more than I can Collins.
Actually, I gave myself the creeps thinking about an hour of PC. Change the ratio to 10-5, but I loathe them both. And for bands the worst is Steely Dan.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've got your back, Tom. BJ has some absolutely cracking tunes. It's Still RnR To Me, My Life, WDStF, River of Dreams, Tell Her About It, The Longest Time and more. He's released a lot of shit as well but there you go.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board