Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:I'd be careful if I were Sherman. Mofo's likely to ignite his own fumes.
Sherman don't take no advice from a burn victim, yo!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'd be careful if I were Sherman. Mofo's likely to ignite his own fumes.
A history lesson for the American studies major: Sherman never burned Charleston. That's why we have tourist appeal.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A history lesson for the American studies major: Sherman never burned Charleston. That's why we have tourist appeal.
I have an American history degree; I dropped out of American Studies. :shifty: You can argue specifics and locations, but all that matters is that a burned out Northerner burned up a region.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I have an American history degree; I dropped out of American Studies. :shifty: You can argue specifics and locations, but all that matters is that a burned out Northerner burned up a region.
Yeah, but if you knew anything about Chucktown, it's that we secretly believe our first mistake was in letting the rest of the South (heck, the rest of the state) join us.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, but if you knew anything about Chucktown, it's that we secretly believe our first mistake was in letting the rest of the South (heck, the rest of the state) join us.
My main history prof as an undergrad specialized in antebellum SC, so I ended up reading a fair bit about "your people." And I can believe you completely on the above claim. There is something very endearing about how batshit committed the Charleston fire eaters were. A pity their cause was built on slavery, otherwise it'd be noble.

A return to the thread: I've been listening to Rilo Kiley a lot the last couple weeks. Jenny Lewis is great.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Meditation on why Batman is more badass than Superman: Batman is the world's greatest detective. Superman is an immigrant.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:Meditation on why Batman is more badass than Superman: Batman is the world's greatest detective. Superman is an immigrant.
A connection: Man, I hate immigrants! I should hate Superman too!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Toxana Mellor
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Toxana Mellor »

Flex wrote:
Inder wrote:Meditation on why Batman is more badass than Superman: Batman is the world's greatest detective. Superman is an immigrant.
A connection: Man, I hate immigants! I should hate Superman too!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Counterpoint: While what you say is undeniably true, Batman is a trust fund kid who slums in the, well, slums, while Superman is twice orphaned and does what he does out of higher purpose.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Counterpoint: While what you say is undeniably true, Batman is a trust fund kid who slums in the, well, slums, while Superman is twice orphaned and does what he does out of higher purpose.
An observation: Hookadulla just loves to argue. In the past he has attacked the awesomeness of Silver Age Superman.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
An observation: Hookadulla just loves to argue. In the past he has attacked the awesomeness of Silver Age Superman.
A clarification: I only seek ensure that the various angles of a discussion are reasonably explored. Even as I recognize the whole thing—Batman vs. Superman—as a mixed bag, I do have a preference: Batman, because he operates out of outrage and what he sees as moral injustice, whereas Superman is a roided up boy scout.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A clarification: I only seek ensure that the various angles of a discussion are reasonably explored. Even as I recognize the whole thing—Batman vs. Superman—as a mixed bag, I do have a preference: Batman, because he operates out of outrage and what he sees as moral injustice, whereas Superman is a roided up boy scout.
Counterpoint: the earth's yellow sun does not count as a Performance Enhancing Drug.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:Counterpoint: the earth's yellow sun does not count as a Performance Enhancing Drug.
A point of contention: Kal-El's physiology is attuned to a red sun; that's what's natural to him. So a yellow sun's effects are unnatural, they are artificial. Just because he's not injecting doesn't mean he ain't doping.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Counterpoint: the earth's yellow sun does not count as a Performance Enhancing Drug.
A point of contention: Kal-El's physiology is attuned to a red sun; that's what's natural to him. So a yellow sun's effects are unnatural, they are artificial. Just because he's not injecting doesn't mean he ain't doping.
A polite disagreement: You are stretching the definition of PED to the breaking point. While it may be unusual for a Kryptonian to be exposed to the effects of a yellow sun, it is not unnatural. Besides, Kal-El's adopted home since infancy is the earth, and therefore is the only real home* he knows. The yellow sun is "normal" for him. He has not "chosen" to use it to his advantage, any more than Michael Jordan "chose" to have a superior vertical leap. Barrold Bonds was not raised from near birth on the cream and the clear, and chose to take advantage of a loophole in the rules - like Lex Luthor.

*Unless you're saying that adopted children have no real home. And that would be monstrous.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A polite disagreement: You are stretching the definition of PED to the breaking point. While it may be unusual for a Kryptonian to be exposed to the effects of a yellow sun, it is not unnatural. Besides, Kal-El's adopted home since infancy is the earth, and therefore is the only real home* he knows. The yellow sun is "normal" for him. He has not "chosen" to use it to his advantage, any more than Michael Jordan "chose" to have a superior vertical leap. Barrold Bonds was not raised from near birth on the cream and the clear, and chose to take advantage of a loophole in the rules - like Lex Luthor.

*Unless you're saying that adopted children have no real home. And that would be monstrous.
A Gore-like sigh: Anything other than the red sun's effects on a Kryptonian's physiology is unnatural. Kryptonian evolution is based on a red sun environment. Kal-El is operating in an unnatural environment to a Kryptonian, and that unnatural environment gives him an advantage over those whose physiology is not augmented in the natural environment of a yellow sun. Intent has nothing to do with it, only natural physiology being artificially augmented.

And adopted children are carriers of AIDS and scurvy and should be ground into top soil for our farms.