Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

I have to go to a party where there will be a bunch of people with whom I have little in common. Lots of awkward pauses as conversations go nowhere and I desperately look forward to getting my next drink.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 8:30pm
God, that hideous New Radicals song captures so well the sound of soulless, faux alternative corporate music. It possesses all the nominal characteristics of rock, but it's utterly artificial. Even the name of the band is mocking. I nominate it for most 90s song of the 90s.
I hate that bit where he sings "Come around, we'll kick your ass in." He'd probably go running to his mum if you looked at him with a bit menace.
No way—not with that bad-ass Gilligan hat. :rolleyes:

Also, SM description of "unendurable" is spot on.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 8:30pm
God, that hideous New Radicals song captures so well the sound of soulless, faux alternative corporate music. It possesses all the nominal characteristics of rock, but it's utterly artificial. Even the name of the band is mocking. I nominate it for most 90s song of the 90s.
I hate that bit where he sings "Come around, we'll kick your ass in." He'd probably go running to his mum if you looked at him with a bit menace.
I think Courtney Love actually offered to personally take him up on it, and he pretty much sharted himself to death backpedaling. I guess that makes two guys who blew their brains out on her behalf that decade. :shifty:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:24pm
I have to go to a party where there will be a bunch of people with whom I have little in common. Lots of awkward pauses as conversations go nowhere and I desperately look forward to getting my next drink.
I can just about spin out that small talk crap for an hour, but there's no pleasure in it for anyone. Hope the time passes relatively quickly.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
So....a bit like you in the Kaja/Duran thread.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
That's why I'm glad that I've cultivated for the better part of a quarter century the reputation of a weirdo hermit. Nobody ever expects to go to those things, allowing me to drink alone. :approve:

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
As an Introvert, this is the stuff of wake up screaming nightmares. Good luck.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:27pm
revbob wrote:
So....a bit like you in the Kaja/Duran thread.
Yeah kind of.

I can sometimes do some small talk, it is hit or miss. My wife is much better but she usually kind of intentionally leaves me adrift to awkwardly flounder, tells me to make friends or something.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

revbob wrote:
Being a seasoned misanthrope I have a proven system for these things involving cruising around the perimeter and searching for a perch along the wall that lets me survey my surroundings like I'm taking it all in without coming off looking like the pathetic wallflower I actually am. It also involves triangulating the vectors for a clear shot over to the snacks table without having to weave through crowds of inane conversation.

If you're lucky and there's another fellow traveler in the room who's mastered the system you'll end up meeting at the same vector along the wall and be able to bleed mutually generous time off the clock with safely universal sportsball talk until plausible enough span has passed to get the hell out of there and score some passable suburban coke at the tupperware party down the street.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Just get pissed and career about the place, breaking things. Then you don't get invited back, works for me every time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"So, anyone read Mark Trail?"

Odds are you get blank stares, but if you get one positive response you're good for the rest of the night.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Look for the pets and play with them. That's my survival technique.

Oh wait, is this at some big venue or someone's house?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I appreciate all the advice. Its a pretty sterile environment (home), no pets. Alcohol and food will be my only salvation. I wont even be able to drink too much because my wife never drives for this stuff.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:53pm
I appreciate all the advice. Its a pretty sterile environment (home), no pets. Alcohol and food will be my only salvation. I wont even be able to drink too much because my wife never drives for this stuff.
Oh, well there's definitely suburban coke then. Has to be. People can't live in that kind of boredom 24/7. Maybe it's mediocre shit, but it'll find its way.

The most times I've ever been offered drugs in a single night was at a house party on some godforsaken domesticated cul de sac in sleepy-ass Sudbury, MA years ago.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 9:53pm
I will pray for your soul.