Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 2:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 3:11pm
I don’t know if the White Island volcano eruption has made much news outside of NZ?
I was on White Island a couple of years back (probably posted about it on here) amazing experience being on a live volcano but even at the time amongst our group we discussed how dangerous it was. We were used gas masks and were lectured on safety and had strict instructions on what you could do which wasn’t much as it was single file behind the guide.
Great to be able to do dangerous things nowadays but this was always a disaster waiting to happen.
Yes top story here on the news a day or so back. Looks like the warnings were ignored.
It is constantly erupting it is live. When I was on there you could feel it under your feet and you could only walk in single file on designated path as the earth crust is so thin you would go straight through anywhere else. There was hot steam coming out everywhere and lava pools so hot you couldn’t get near them.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 4:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 2:04pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Dec 2019, 3:11pm
I don’t know if the White Island volcano eruption has made much news outside of NZ?
I was on White Island a couple of years back (probably posted about it on here) amazing experience being on a live volcano but even at the time amongst our group we discussed how dangerous it was. We were used gas masks and were lectured on safety and had strict instructions on what you could do which wasn’t much as it was single file behind the guide.
Great to be able to do dangerous things nowadays but this was always a disaster waiting to happen.
Yes top story here on the news a day or so back. Looks like the warnings were ignored.
It is constantly erupting it is live. When I was on there you could feel it under your feet and you could only walk in single file on designated path as the earth crust is so thin you would go straight through anywhere else. There was hot steam coming out everywhere and lava pools so hot you couldn’t get near them.
Totally understand the fascination with a place like that. But warnings shouldve been heeded.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We bought a new (to us) car today. We bought our last one, a '98 RAV4, back in 2003, and are only replacing it because getting parts is so hard. Any repairs now involve the mechanic modifying pieces to make it work. So we decided this past summer that we wouldn't put any more money into it. It started making an odd rattle a few weeks ago, so we went out today. We didn't necessarily expect to find something today. I had requirements on mileage and price, so if the Boss—the driver—was happy with driving it, I said we should complete the deal rather than look around. It met the mileage and I budged a bit on the price—I called it the "no more aggravation fee," which amused a sales guy nearby—so we decided to get shit done so we wouldn't have to keep driving around the city. Maybe we could have shaved some money off but neither of us enjoyed the experience. I mean, Christ, any car we found would be more of a luxury than what we've had for sixteen years. Despite that, it was over 3 hours, as various people went to consult with others and paperwork and explanation of the paperwork. I sincerely pray that I will be dead before this thing has to be replaced.

In summary, even buying a car as quickly as possible sucks balls.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2019, 5:26pm
We bought a new (to us) car today. We bought our last one, a '98 RAV4, back in 2003, and are only replacing it because getting parts is so hard. Any repairs now involve the mechanic modifying pieces to make it work. So we decided this past summer that we wouldn't put any more money into it. It started making an odd rattle a few weeks ago, so we went out today. We didn't necessarily expect to find something today. I had requirements on mileage and price, so if the Boss—the driver—was happy with driving it, I said we should complete the deal rather than look around. It met the mileage and I budged a bit on the price—I called it the "no more aggravation fee," which amused a sales guy nearby—so we decided to get shit done so we wouldn't have to keep driving around the city. Maybe we could have shaved some money off but neither of us enjoyed the experience. I mean, Christ, any car we found would be more of a luxury than what we've had for sixteen years. Despite that, it was over 3 hours, as various people went to consult with others and paperwork and explanation of the paperwork. I sincerely pray that I will be dead before this thing has to be replaced.

What did you get?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 12:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What did you get?
2016 Subaru Crosstrek.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 7:15am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What did you get?
2016 Subaru Crosstrek.
You don't even have a pony tail.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 8:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What did you get?
2016 Subaru Crosstrek.
You don't even have a pony tail.
Well, I'm not the driver.

The Boss wanted another small SUV because she wants to be higher up than in a regular car, and several of her friends have Subarus and like them a lot, so that's how we ended up where we did (scientific, huh?). My role in the process was finding something with lowish mileage and an acceptable price. Otherwise, to me a car is a car is a car. Any extra crap that it comes with doesn't interest me.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What did you get?
2016 Subaru Crosstrek.
Nice. I love Subarus for some reason.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 10:02am
Last year, I copy edited a manuscript dealing with the relationship between popular music and automobile culture. One of the things I learned was that in the 1990s, Subaru found its sales plateauing, so in assessing its strengths, it realized that women, especially lesbians, were its strongest customers. Since then, they've tailored advertising in that direction. So in your case, maybe it's working.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 10:21am
Mimi wrote:
Last year, I copy edited a manuscript dealing with the relationship between popular music and automobile culture. One of the things I learned was that in the 1990s, Subaru found its sales plateauing, so in assessing its strengths, it realized that women, especially lesbians, were its strongest customers. Since then, they've tailored advertising in that direction. So in your case, maybe it's working.
Wouldn't be the first time someone called me a lesbian. lol

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 10:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Wouldn't be the first time someone called me a lesbian. lol
:lol: I meant the woman part.

Somehow my life keeps on intersecting with lesbians. Both my MA and PhD supervisors were lesbians, and now we have a lesbian car.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I can anecdotally confirm this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 10:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Lesbian friends/co-workers who drive Subarus?

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 10:52am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
This is a fact! Lesbians love Subarus, softball and dusty sports bars in my experience.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 10:52am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Yup. I've never asked why though