Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 9:01pm
Mimi wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 8:42pm
Went to the dentist because my back tooth was feeling sensitive. Turns out, my wisdom tooth is eating itself from the inside out and now I have to get that bitch yanked out. Yay for me.
Yee haw, fun times. Those bastards are a complete menace. I knew a woman whose wisdom tooth broke off during extraction and it eventually made its way to her sinus cavity.
Lucky for me this is the lower one. I hope to whatever deity is out there that this isn't complicated. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 9:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Went to the dentist because my back tooth was feeling sensitive. Turns out, my wisdom tooth is eating itself from the inside out and now I have to get that bitch yanked out. Yay for me.
Yee haw, fun times. Those bastards are a complete menace. I knew a woman whose wisdom tooth broke off during extraction and it eventually made its way to her sinus cavity.
Lucky for me this is the lower one. I hope to whatever deity is out there that this isn't complicated. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
It might be complicated, but it's really noticeable how improved dental techniques have become in even the last twenty years. So much of the discomfort I associate with dental work is pretty minimal now.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 9:16pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
It might be complicated, but it's really noticeable how improved dental techniques have become in even the last twenty years. So much of the discomfort I associate with dental work is pretty minimal now.
True, and I don't mind getting a tooth extracted, really.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 9:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mine were so badly impacted that they put me under and had to cut them up and remove them in pieces.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 9:35pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Mine were so badly impacted that they put me under and had to cut them up and remove them in pieces.
I've heard horror stories of impacted wisdom teeth. Yikes.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Mimi wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 9:38pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Let’s take a time machine ride back to 1992! I had all four removed at once. It wasn’t covered so my mom took me to Tufts Dental School in Chinatown. The drugged me hard but I was conscious. I drifted in a painless Valium induced state as the doctor worked on me with two or three students also hovering above me. The first three popped out like ripe zits. The fourth one was impacted and they had to saw the sucker in half to get it out. That’s the only pain I felt. I didn’t flinch because I just wanted it to be done. I remember tearing up but staying still and the doc commenting that I was a good patient. It felt like it lasted 15 minutes but I was in there for two and a half hours. I still have the teeth because I thought it would be cool to keep them. They’re in one of those little nail box cubbies in my household tool box.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 11:27pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Let’s take a time machine ride back to 1992! I had all four removed at once. It wasn’t covered so my mom took me to Tufts Dental School in Chinatown. The drugged me hard but I was conscious. I drifted in a painless Valium induced state as the doctor worked on me with two or three students also hovering above me. The first three popped out like ripe zits. The fourth one was impacted and they had to saw the sucker in half to get it out. That’s the only pain I felt. I didn’t flinch because I just wanted it to be done. I remember tearing up but staying still and the doc commenting that I was a good patient. It felt like it lasted 15 minutes but I was in there for two and a half hours. I still have the teeth because I thought it would be cool to keep them. They’re in one of those little nail box cubbies in my household tool box.
:scared: :scared: :scared:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Mimi wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 8:43am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Dec 2018, 11:27pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Yikes!

I still have all of my wisdom teeth at nearly 42 years of age. They're not impacted and have never caused me any issues. It helps that I never got my lateral incisors (upper or lower). It's a hereditary trait that has been passed down from my English ancestors. I've never missed them and it has created extra room in my mouth (I don't have any gaps - but I also haven't had issues with wisdom teeth and so on). The one issue I do have - and this is apparently common - is that my wisdom teeth are prone to cavities because it's just hard getting them properly brushed (I really do try). My dentist has wanted me to get them taken out - but because it's not a necessity - my insurance won't cover it and the procedure is really pricey...so they'll remain in my mouth for the time being.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When I had a couple wisdom tooth pulled, the problem was sort of the opposite of being impacted. I've always had problems with my teeth—my mother blames the city where I grew up, which didn't fluoridate; my older siblings grew up in a different town that did, and they don't have the tooth problems—and a couple of my wisdom teeth had cracked and broken. Being poor and hating dentists—combine my weak teeth with a childhood dentist who believed the right strategy was to yell at kids, and you get a lifelong anxiety towards dentists—I left it until one of them abscessed. So they had a hard time pulling them because there wasn't an easy surface to grab hold of.

That was the same dentist who said my signature was like that of a stroke patient. :disshame:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I had my wisdom teeth taken out with no issues.

later that evening, I was bitten by a brown recluse spider.

Good luck, Meemz! :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 11:03am

Have you sought treatment?
A friend of mine was bitten by a big spider and they basically had to scoop out an area of flesh because it was just rotting from the bite outward.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:

So fumigate for spiders before appointment. Got it. lol

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 1:20pm
JennyB wrote:

Have you sought treatment?
A friend of mine was bitten by a big spider and they basically had to scoop out an area of flesh because it was just rotting from the bite outward.
Oh, this was almost 25 years ago. I actually had a very serious reaction to it (kidney failure) and was in the hospital for two weeks. My bite was on the small of my back and I was told your skin is thicker there. I did have to have a small amount of dead skin scooped out, but my scar is only like the size of a dime.
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
06 Dec 2018, 2:08pm
JennyB wrote:

So fumigate for spiders before appointment. Got it. lol
:lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Mimi wrote:
Well, it is out, and holy hell I never want to do that again. In a lot of pain, mostly swelling pain. The tooth area is fine; it's just certain parts that hurt. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.