Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 1:13pm

Son, I think you're a little confused about who gets exploited in this relationship. Your attitude makes a mockery of America.
Barstool is garbage to begin with, but this makes me very angry:

How do you hire?

[snip]

Here’s something I do: If you’re in the process of interviewing with us, I’ll text you about something at 9 p.m. or 11 a.m. on a Sunday just to see how fast you’ll respond.

What’s the right response time?

Within three hours. It’s not that I’m going to bug you all weekend if you work for me, but I want you to be responsive. I think about work all the time. Other people don’t have to be working all the time, but I want people who are also always thinking.
Oh christ, fuck that shit. Also this shit:
I get a ton of feedback. I think I’m punishing. I have a large ability to grind. If I want something or if I believe in something or I think something should be done better, I will push and push until I exhaust people.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 1:42pm
Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Son, I think you're a little confused about who gets exploited in this relationship. Your attitude makes a mockery of America.

How do you hire?

[snip]

Here’s something I do: If you’re in the process of interviewing with us, I’ll text you about something at 9 p.m. or 11 a.m. on a Sunday just to see how fast you’ll respond.

Within three hours. It’s not that I’m going to bug you all weekend if you work for me, but I want you to be responsive. I think about work all the time. Other people don’t have to be working all the time, but I want people who are also always thinking.
I get a ton of feedback. I think I’m punishing. I have a large ability to grind. If I want something or if I believe in something or I think something should be done better, I will push and push until I exhaust people.
Fine, asshole, if you think you can make demands at any time, then pay your employees like they're on the clock 24/7/365. It's fine to want people who "think about work all the time"—it's not for me, but whatever—but don't think for a fucking second you deserve their labour for free. Because that's what these guys are really about. It's not dedication to the job, but about squeezing unpaid labour from their employees. If you want unusual labour, pay unusual compensation, dickballs.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 2:39pm
Kory wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 1:42pm
Inder wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

How do you hire?

[snip]

Fine, asshole, if you think you can make demands at any time, then pay your employees like they're on the clock 24/7/365. It's fine to want people who "think about work all the time"—it's not for me, but whatever—but don't think for a fucking second you deserve their labour for free. Because that's what these guys are really about. It's not dedication to the job, but about squeezing unpaid labour from their employees. If you want unusual labour, pay unusual compensation, dickballs.
Salary is supposed to take care of that, isn't it? You get paid a little bit extra to lose your hourly status.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 1:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 12:51pm
Kory wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 12:33pm
All jobs suck.
That's a ballsy opening statement for a job interview, son.
I like to put all my cards on the table. I'm going to work for you the required amount of hours and then I'm going to go home and not think of you until I wake up the next morning. I don't have any interest in giving 110% unless you pay me 150%.
Yeah. My boss, who sold me on the "family friendliness" of this place, complained the other day that I come in at 8:00 and leave at 4:00. I'm almost 50 years old. I'm not trying to fucking make partner or anything. (I work at a not for profit. We don't have partners. But still). She watches the clock like a hawk. Of course, none of these rules apply to her. She can come and go as she pleases.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 3:03pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 2:39pm
Salary is supposed to take care of that, isn't it? You get paid a little bit extra to lose your hourly status.
That's all in the negotiation. If a boss is making extraordinary demands on my time, even salaried, that is going to affect what kind of compensation is deserved. If a comparable salaried position without those weekend or late night demands normally pays X, reserving the right to hassle me during strange hours means paying a hell of a lot more than X. But that's what these guys don't get—or they do get and are just trying to extract free labour under the guise of manliness or some such shit. Either way, it's about what my labour is worth to you. The more you want from me, the more you should compensate me.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 3:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
All jobs suck.
I like to put all my cards on the table. I'm going to work for you the required amount of hours and then I'm going to go home and not think of you until I wake up the next morning. I don't have any interest in giving 110% unless you pay me 150%.
Yeah. My boss, who sold me on the "family friendliness" of this place, complained the other day that I come in at 8:00 and leave at 4:00. I'm almost 50 years old. I'm not trying to fucking make partner or anything. (I work at a not for profit. We don't have partners. But still). She watches the clock like a hawk. Of course, none of these rules apply to her. She can come and go as she pleases.
Which is, again, her wanting you to provide free labour. If you're expected to contribute 8 hours a day, anything more is uncompensated labour and she, not you, should feel ashamed for that. That management culture has taught them to conclude that their employees are lazy demonstrates its duplicity.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 3:51pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
All jobs suck.
Which is, again, her wanting you to provide free labour. If you're expected to contribute 8 hours a day, anything more is uncompensated labour and she, not you, should feel ashamed for that. That management culture has taught them to conclude that their employees are lazy demonstrates its duplicity.
Yep.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
All jobs suck.
I worked at such a place a few years back. It didnt matter how late i might work or how many after-hours/weekend calls I got, if i got in at 8:01 in the morning it was a problem. It didnt matter that i had 2 kids to drop at different schools each morning (family friendly?). I also noticed that some people were given a pass when it came to such things. One of the happiest days in my life was when i told him bye bye. He said he wanted to match my new job offer, I knew he wouldn't he was alwsys pulling some passive agressive bullshit so I politely declined to tell him my new salary or where I would be working. He wasnt happy but I was.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 6:09pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
All jobs suck.
I worked at such a place a few years back. It didnt matter how late i might work or how many after-hours/weekend calls I got, if i got in at 8:01 in the morning it was a problem. It didnt matter that i had 2 kids to drop at different schools each morning (family friendly?). I also noticed that some people were given a pass when it came to such things. One of the happiest days in my life was when i told him bye bye. He said he wanted to match my new job offer, I knew he wouldn't he was alwsys pulling some passive agressive bullshit so I politely declined to tell him my new salary or where I would be working. He wasnt happy but I was.
Glad you got out of there. I worked the last two nights. Scott also works late on Tuesday nights. Thankfully, my brother was available to babysit, or else I would have had to pay for a babysitter to work.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Man, FUCK jobs. I know I got a problem with authority, but any adult that is cool with being treated like a child should go ahead and do that, and then the rest of us can do whatever the fuck we want.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
All jobs suck.
Sounds like my old boss who threw me under the bus in a performance evaluation right before she retired. Bitch. Still hate her to this day.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 12:34pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
All jobs suck.
Sounds like my old boss who threw me under the bus in a performance evaluation right before she retired. Bitch. Still hate her to this day.
I hate her too!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 3:01pm
This line comes up too often. Too many basement crypts, not enough super fun happy slides.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I actually like my boss, we've been friends for a lot of years before I started working for my company. But good god, corporate culture is such bullshit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!