Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 22717
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by eumaas » 12 Jan 2018, 11:13am

Apparently graduating from UNC with highest distinction doesn't make it any easier to get a damn job there, by the way. Have yet to hear back from anything I've applied to. If I don't have any luck, I will be going back to service & retail. :meh:

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 72627
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 11:29am

eumaas wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:13am
Apparently graduating from UNC with highest distinction doesn't make it any easier to get a damn job there, by the way. Have yet to hear back from anything I've applied to. If I don't have any luck, I will be going back to service & retail. :meh:
My fear that finishing the doctorate would make me "over qualified" for even more jobs was born out when I started applying for various editing positions. Over fifteen years experience, plus a PhD, and not a nibble. Part of it is my lack of French (always a problem in this town) and part of it is that most places actually want someone with a business/advertising background. But I'm sure that employers don't comprehend the kinds of skills that one has to develop to complete a graduate degree. Critical thinking, assimilation of material, clear expression. Instead, it's: We don't need a historian on staff. I can't help but think I'd have better luck looking for editing work if I only had the MA.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20085
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by matedog » 12 Jan 2018, 1:50pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:59pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 9:53pm
Overheard (by, I guess, our cats) in Castle Medulla: "We are not going to watch Three's Company!" Said by Dr. Mrs. Dr. Medulla to Dr. Medulla, who didn't actually want to watch Three's Company but wanted her to change the channel.
I smell a sitcom in the making, sort of Odd Couple-esque. We'll call it Doctor Doctor.
If you can get Robert Redford or one of the One Directions to play me, I'll sign off.
If you want to ooze sexual charisma, you'll want Harry to play you. If you want to be less charismatic, but more ethnic, you'll want Zayn. Plus he has the technical chops. Liam if you want bland but serviceable. Avoid Louis and Niall at all costs.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 72627
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 2:08pm

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:59pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 9:53pm
Overheard (by, I guess, our cats) in Castle Medulla: "We are not going to watch Three's Company!" Said by Dr. Mrs. Dr. Medulla to Dr. Medulla, who didn't actually want to watch Three's Company but wanted her to change the channel.
I smell a sitcom in the making, sort of Odd Couple-esque. We'll call it Doctor Doctor.
If you can get Robert Redford or one of the One Directions to play me, I'll sign off.
If you want to ooze sexual charisma, you'll want Harry to play you. If you want to be less charismatic, but more ethnic, you'll want Zayn. Plus he has the technical chops. Liam if you want bland but serviceable. Avoid Louis and Niall at all costs.
Liam sounds about right then.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20085
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by matedog » 12 Jan 2018, 2:58pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:08pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:59pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 9:53pm
Overheard (by, I guess, our cats) in Castle Medulla: "We are not going to watch Three's Company!" Said by Dr. Mrs. Dr. Medulla to Dr. Medulla, who didn't actually want to watch Three's Company but wanted her to change the channel.
I smell a sitcom in the making, sort of Odd Couple-esque. We'll call it Doctor Doctor.
If you can get Robert Redford or one of the One Directions to play me, I'll sign off.
If you want to ooze sexual charisma, you'll want Harry to play you. If you want to be less charismatic, but more ethnic, you'll want Zayn. Plus he has the technical chops. Liam if you want bland but serviceable. Avoid Louis and Niall at all costs.
Liam sounds about right then.
Image

He knocked up a cougar so he's got da dog's seal of approval.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 72627
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 3:04pm

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:08pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:59pm
revbob wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:37pm


I smell a sitcom in the making, sort of Odd Couple-esque. We'll call it Doctor Doctor.
If you can get Robert Redford or one of the One Directions to play me, I'll sign off.
If you want to ooze sexual charisma, you'll want Harry to play you. If you want to be less charismatic, but more ethnic, you'll want Zayn. Plus he has the technical chops. Liam if you want bland but serviceable. Avoid Louis and Niall at all costs.
Liam sounds about right then.
Image

He knocked up a cougar so he's got da dog's seal of approval.
Fuck, he looks like Bieber. :angry: I'm switching from the One Directions to one of the Franz Ferdinands.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12856
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 12 Jan 2018, 4:14pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:04pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:08pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:59pm


If you can get Robert Redford or one of the One Directions to play me, I'll sign off.
If you want to ooze sexual charisma, you'll want Harry to play you. If you want to be less charismatic, but more ethnic, you'll want Zayn. Plus he has the technical chops. Liam if you want bland but serviceable. Avoid Louis and Niall at all costs.
Liam sounds about right then.
Image

He knocked up a cougar so he's got da dog's seal of approval.
Fuck, he looks like Bieber. :angry: I'm switching from the One Directions to one of the Franz Ferdinands.
Their first album is still a classic if you ask me, but that's one unattractive band.
Wave bye-bye to the boss
It's our profit, it's his loss


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 72627
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 4:17pm

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:04pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:08pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 1:50pm


If you want to ooze sexual charisma, you'll want Harry to play you. If you want to be less charismatic, but more ethnic, you'll want Zayn. Plus he has the technical chops. Liam if you want bland but serviceable. Avoid Louis and Niall at all costs.
Liam sounds about right then.
Image

He knocked up a cougar so he's got da dog's seal of approval.
Fuck, he looks like Bieber. :angry: I'm switching from the One Directions to one of the Franz Ferdinands.
Their first album is still a classic if you ask me, but that's one unattractive band.
FF or OD?
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20085
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by matedog » 12 Jan 2018, 4:27pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:04pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:08pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 10:59pm


If you can get Robert Redford or one of the One Directions to play me, I'll sign off.
If you want to ooze sexual charisma, you'll want Harry to play you. If you want to be less charismatic, but more ethnic, you'll want Zayn. Plus he has the technical chops. Liam if you want bland but serviceable. Avoid Louis and Niall at all costs.
Liam sounds about right then.
Image

He knocked up a cougar so he's got da dog's seal of approval.
Fuck, he looks like Bieber. :angry: I'm switching from the One Directions to one of the Franz Ferdinands.
That's just first album era. He's a man now
Image
You can thank his former musical mentor, now baby mama for that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 72627
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 4:31pm

matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:27pm
That's just first album era. He's a man now
Image
You can thank his former musical mentor, now baby mama for that.
Not that snazzy going out in public with dirty hands. If you're going to play in mud, wash up when you're done, young man. :naughty:
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 12856
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 12 Jan 2018, 4:39pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 3:04pm
matedog wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 2:08pm


Liam sounds about right then.
Image

He knocked up a cougar so he's got da dog's seal of approval.
Fuck, he looks like Bieber. :angry: I'm switching from the One Directions to one of the Franz Ferdinands.
Their first album is still a classic if you ask me, but that's one unattractive band.
FF or OD?
The Archdukes.
Wave bye-bye to the boss
It's our profit, it's his loss


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 72627
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 4:48pm

Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:14pm
Their first album is still a classic if you ask me, but that's one unattractive band.
FF or OD?
The Archdukes.
They're a quietly and artfully smart band. However, they seem no uglier than any Glasgow pub at midnight. :twitch:
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 15127
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 12 Jan 2018, 5:35pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:14pm
Their first album is still a classic if you ask me, but that's one unattractive band.
FF or OD?
The Archdukes.
They're a quietly and artfully smart band. However, they seem no uglier than any Glasgow pub at midnight. :twitch:
Saw a genuine photo of the real Arch Duke and Sophie taken right before their biggest hit. She was not as cute as I envisage an assassinated Sophie to be.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 72627
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 12 Jan 2018, 6:03pm

101Walterton wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 5:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 4:14pm
Their first album is still a classic if you ask me, but that's one unattractive band.
FF or OD?
The Archdukes.
They're a quietly and artfully smart band. However, they seem no uglier than any Glasgow pub at midnight. :twitch:
Saw a genuine photo of the real Arch Duke and Sophie taken right before their biggest hit. She was not as cute as I envisage an assassinated Sophie to be.
Did Hoy break into your account?
Endut! Hoch Hech!

I feel that, had he lived, John Lennon would have loved Donkey Kong.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5646
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra
Contact:

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by revbob » 13 Jan 2018, 10:34pm

Posting in the neighborhood forum:
Lost and found
Our chicken Jane appears to have left our yard, and we’re very worried. If you see or think you hear a chicken, please call!
802- xxx-xxxx
Its 7 degrees out and falling well below 0 tonight and there's about a foot of snow out there.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests