Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 10:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 10:28pm
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 10:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 9:57pm
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 9:41pm

Is it helpful. Ive tried at various times and never was able to get much of anything from it. It could be my trust issues that hold me back. Ive opened up to some of the people here privately more than I ever have face to face with most people.
Can't say yet. That is, I just switched. The person I was going to moved offices and it didn't work for me, so I've just started with a new guy. But he's a lot more theory oriented, unlike the previous one, who just let me babble. I think I like this guy more because of the intellectual engagement. I've had lots to consider and appreciate the lines of analysis, but there hasn't been a practical strategy or effect for dealing with my confidence or anxiety issues. It's still an act of faith on my part that a way forward will become apparent. Mind you, I might be fit for a nursing home or an urn by then, so … yeah.
Yeah my take away was that I got very little in the way of useful input and that I was basically just talking myself thru my shit out loud in front of a stranger. I don't need to pay for that. Which is not to say it isn't good for others but I must have tried 4 times in the past 15 years and I can't say it was a positive experience overall. I know others for whom it seems to work wonders.
It comes down to, I think, someone whose style matches what you need. I want someone who'll push back and suggest alternatives to how I perceive things, and especially offer suggestions, which I think this guy is more in line with. Maybe it'll prove to be futile. I dunno. But I told the Boss I'd do it, so I owe her my word,
The ones Ive been to have always been so passive. And I just dont have the time to keep shopping.
This is where I'm at. A lot of my friends are doing it, but they say it takes some work to find the right match, and I don't have (or don't want to spend) the time on it. You can get a leg up, however, by researching the styles of psychology that exist (existential is probably my bag) and then searching for shrinks that fall under the category that sounds most useful to you (this site has a search feature for shrinks in your area): https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/types-of-therapy
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 11:36am
JennyB wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 10:19am
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:39pm
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 7:54pm
So I have a friend who I will hit up if there is a show that the wife isn't gonna be into (loud/fast) and he usually is on board. Conversely he will sometimes ask me about going to a show but it is usually for something kind of crappy/hippie and I gracefully bow out or sometimes flat out say no they suck.

Without weighing or conjuring up other evidence that you may have or think you have about me... am I being a bad friend?
What does your conscience say? If you've got pangs of guilt, yeah, listen to it. But if you tell him that you hate that fucking hippie shit, I'd say it clears you. It's great if he wants to indulge you, but I don't think it means you have to punish yourself in return. If he chooses to blow you off on future shows, that's cool, too—legit option for him.
I do feel some guilt. It struck me today kind of for the first time. He's gonna go to Social Distortion and Bikini Kill. He's a good guy and I should go to one of those shows and just get very drunk I guess.
Listen - I guilted myself into going to a Counting Crows show with a friend like 20 years ago, and I still regret it to this day. No absolution of guilt is worth subjecting yourself to something like that.
Wow I don't think I could go to that extreme. Some lines just shouldn't be crossed. But damn you're a great friend.
I know. I really am.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 10:42am
JennyB wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 10:19am
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:39pm
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 7:54pm
So I have a friend who I will hit up if there is a show that the wife isn't gonna be into (loud/fast) and he usually is on board. Conversely he will sometimes ask me about going to a show but it is usually for something kind of crappy/hippie and I gracefully bow out or sometimes flat out say no they suck.

Without weighing or conjuring up other evidence that you may have or think you have about me... am I being a bad friend?
What does your conscience say? If you've got pangs of guilt, yeah, listen to it. But if you tell him that you hate that fucking hippie shit, I'd say it clears you. It's great if he wants to indulge you, but I don't think it means you have to punish yourself in return. If he chooses to blow you off on future shows, that's cool, too—legit option for him.
I do feel some guilt. It struck me today kind of for the first time. He's gonna go to Social Distortion and Bikini Kill. He's a good guy and I should go to one of those shows and just get very drunk I guess.
Listen - I guilted myself into going to a Counting Crows show with a friend like 20 years ago, and I still regret it to this day. No absolution of guilt is worth subjecting yourself to something like that.
I had the same experience with a Widespread Panic show.
GAHHHHHH
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 2:04pm
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 10:36pm
The ones Ive been to have always been so passive. And I just dont have the time to keep shopping.
This is where I'm at. A lot of my friends are doing it, but they say it takes some work to find the right match, and I don't have (or don't want to spend) the time on it. You can get a leg up, however, by researching the styles of psychology that exist (existential is probably my bag) and then searching for shrinks that fall under the category that sounds most useful to you (this site has a search feature for shrinks in your area): https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/types-of-therapy
Thanks for the link. Maybe Ill give it another chance.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 12:59pm
And that seems very much in line with his personality. Just a flat out decent dude.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I've had a stupid on-again-off-again chest cold for like 6 weeks now, and it just got worse yesterday. There isn't enough tea in the world. ☠☠☠

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 9:41am
I've had a stupid on-again-off-again chest cold for like 6 weeks now, and it just got worse yesterday. There isn't enough tea in the world. ☠☠☠
Take it easy buddy. Get well soon.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Inder wrote:
Get well soon!
Got a Rake? Sure!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Inder wrote:
Get well soon mate, put a nip of whiskey in that tea 👍

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Inder wrote:
Feel better!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
You seen a doctor about it? Pneumonia isn't out of the range of possibilities (tho not likely).
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Thanks for the well wishes!
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:14am
Inder wrote:
You seen a doctor about it? Pneumonia isn't out of the range of possibilities (tho not likely).
Have an appointment for next week, though I suspect it's just a nasty case of bronchitis.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Inder wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 1:39pm
Thanks for the well wishes!
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:14am
Inder wrote:
Have an appointment for next week, though I suspect it's just a nasty case of bronchitis.
I'm up on April 6. I'll bring beer money or grave flowers.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So yeah my aforementioned good friend asked if I was interested in seeing the Hootie guy. I wonder if I could get Flex to impersonate me for one night.