Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 12:36pm
His integration into the household was pretty painless. I've always been told that you can introduce multiple males without an issue, but if you try and introduce a second female that is a lot harder. Male cats have a pecking order and any new cat will just fall into line (generally speaking). When you bring a new female cat into a household where there is already an established female - then you get a battle for supremacy.

My hunch (and hope) is that it will go well for you. Your two females are already established as co-head's of the cat household and the male should just settle in.
That's my hope/suspicion, too. Male cats are a lot more laid back then female, who are more territorial. A couple years ago, we tried to introduce a female rescue cat. She was the sweetest thing with just us, but the moment she met our girls she became a psychopathic assassin. So that didn't last very long, and why I'm gun shy with this experiment. Our previous set of cats was a male and then, after about a year, a female kitten. He took to her immediately—no growling or hissing. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my hope is that because neither of our girls are fighters—just uptight—and he's young and low key, the amount of conflict would be minimal. They haven't been all that close since they turned one or so. They don't snuggle and have their own space, but there are no real issues between them.
We've always been careful introducing new cats. We'll keep the new cat locked away for several days and then start mixing in "visits" with the other cats. We've had luck with letting the new cat sleep on a blanket or towel and then after a few days bringing the blanket out and letting the other cats get used to the smell.

With the new guy we brought home last fall...the first couple of days/nights we had him locked away in my son's room. The other cats would come to the door. There was a lot of sniffing and some growling. We let him out after maybe 2-3 days and let him have supervised visits. There were some squabbles, but nothing major and within 5 days he was out in general population.
He's been locked away in a spare room, tho I've spent a lot of time with him. When I come out, i let the girls smell my hands. They initially hissed, but that's done.

He's got a vet appointment booked for tomorrow afternoon and if he checks out, I'm hoping to start a few tentative introductions by the weekend. Thanks for the insight!
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 12:15pm
This thought occurred to me last night and I am inclined to think that this is what went down. This drives me bonkers because there is no reason to not just leave the animal at a no kill shelter. Buddy was initially adopted by a single mom and her little girl. The girl lived with autism and was also allergic to cats and her mom didn't want to add any more drugs to the kid's intake. She sequestered Buddy in the basement and put the word out through North Shore Animal League. Tanya know's Beth Stern (Howard's wife) who is very much involved with NSAL and posts kitties needing adoption. Tanya saw Buddy and he was dropped off a few days later. I know Beth Stern has some star power to get the work out that gives NSAL a leg up on finding homes but it really isn't that hard.

For kittyphiles:
https://www.instagram.com/bethostern/
That's fantastic. I'm such a sucker for stories of a cat or dog finding a good home after it not working out somewhere else. The best kind of happy ending.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Nov 2018, 9:53am
So I'm regularly checking the lost pet stuff online here now rather compulsively (as is my way with most shit) and I'm just gutted by all the postings, especially people who have been searching for months, even years. Holding out that kind of hope for so long is wrenching.
I would be devastated if my cats got out. Licorice, I'm certain, would probably run away and never come back -- she still has a feral streak. Butters might just stick around the house like he did when he was a kitten. Kitty never wanted back outside. She had had enough. lol

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 8:45am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So I'm regularly checking the lost pet stuff online here now rather compulsively (as is my way with most shit) and I'm just gutted by all the postings, especially people who have been searching for months, even years. Holding out that kind of hope for so long is wrenching.
I would be devastated if my cats got out. Licorice, I'm certain, would probably run away and never come back -- she still has a feral streak. Butters might just stick around the house like he did when he was a kitten. Kitty never wanted back outside. She had had enough. lol
That's so sweet that Kitty grew up feral but happily abandoned all aspects of it. Even tho our girls have zero interest in going outside—Z has gone on the front deck maybe twice when the door was open, quickly retreating—this whole experience has convinced us to chip them just in case.

Luke goes to the vet this afternoon. The receptionist on the phone asked B if they should put down a name for him. B said we've been calling him Luke, and she laughed and said, "Well, he's got one foot in the door then."

Such a trusting little fucker …

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 9:11am
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's so sweet that Kitty grew up feral but happily abandoned all aspects of it. Even tho our girls have zero interest in going outside—Z has gone on the front deck maybe twice when the door was open, quickly retreating—this whole experience has convinced us to chip them just in case.

Luke goes to the vet this afternoon. The receptionist on the phone asked B if they should put down a name for him. B said we've been calling him Luke, and she laughed and said, "Well, he's got one foot in the door then."

:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 10:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

:mrgreen:
Yup! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's been said that cats domesticated themselves - we did not domesticate them. When we settled down and stopped being hunters and gatherers...rodents and other vermin were attracted to our settlements. Wild cats, in turn, followed the rodents. They started hanging around us because we were an easy source for food and we started hanging out around them because 1) they kept the vermin down and 2) we decided we liked their companionship. "Domestic" cat DNA has actually not changed that much over time and the link to their wild ancestors is still very strong. I find cats to be infinitely interesting creatures. I love all animals - but there is just something about a cat that really captures my imagination.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 11:11am
It's been said that cats domesticated themselves - we did not domesticate them. When we settled down and stopped being hunters and gatherers...rodents and other vermin were attracted to our settlements. Wild cats, in turn, followed the rodents. They started hanging around us because we were an easy source for food and we started hanging out around them because 1) they kept the vermin down and 2) we decided we liked their companionship. "Domestic" cat DNA has actually not changed that much over time and the link to their wild ancestors is still very strong. I find cats to be infinitely interesting creatures. I love all animals - but there is just something about a cat that really captures my imagination.
That's the challenge of having cats in the family—everything they do is their choice, not, like dogs, following an instinct to go with the herd. I think it's the never-surrendered willfulness that appeals to me, plus the sense of achievement when a cat really does like you.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 12:35pm
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 11:11am
That's the challenge of having cats in the family—everything they do is their choice, not, like dogs, following an instinct to go with the herd. I think it's the never-surrendered willfulness that appeals to me, plus the sense of achievement when a cat really does like you.
This exchange from Meet the Parents has always made me chuckle...

Jack Byrnes: Greg, how come you don't like cats?

Greg Focker: I don't not like cats. I-I just - I just prefer dogs. I mean, I'm just more of a dog kind of, you know. Come home, wagging their little tails, happy to see you kind of...

Jack Byrnes: You need that assurance, do you? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal?

Greg Focker: I...

Jack Byrnes: You see, Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

He's so precious.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Should have called him Fun Boy Three, his owners will never see him :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 2:57pm
Should have called him Fun Boy Three, his owners will never see him :mrgreen:
Well, a couple people, anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back from the vet. He's negative for feline leukemia and AIDS, but a small bit of flea dirt was found, so flea treatment for everyone! X( But neither B nor I have detected any fleas on us.

He was, as usual, super calm at the vet. He didn't get angry until they had trouble drawing blood. Unneutered cats, we learned, have thicker skin (testosterone). We can't neuter him for ten days, which will, I guess, be enough time to decide whether he's staying. We'll try some supervised visits on Saturday, I imagine.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 4:30pm
Back from the vet. He's negative for feline leukemia and AIDS, but a small bit of flea dirt was found, so flea treatment for everyone! X( But neither B nor I have detected any fleas on us.

He was, as usual, super calm at the vet. He didn't get angry until they had trouble drawing blood. Unneutered cats, we learned, have thicker skin (testosterone). We can't neuter him for ten days, which will, I guess, be enough time to decide whether he's staying. We'll try some supervised visits on Saturday, I imagine.
Would it make a difference whether or not he's neutered with the girls?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 4:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 4:30pm

Would it make a difference whether or not he's neutered with the girls?