Pets.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Pets.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
04 May 2020, 1:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2020, 1:37pm
Thanks for the dog photos and updates. All these little bastards are really earning their room and board these days.
I imagine that your cats aren't as thrilled with the current situation as my dog is.
I'm normally home during the day, so they're quite used to and enjoy having people around. According to the Boss, when I leave the house, Zoë seems not quite herself, spending a lot of time near the front doo waiting for me. My being around is just what the understand normal to be.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2020, 2:33pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Thanks for the dog photos and updates. All these little bastards are really earning their room and board these days.
I imagine that your cats aren't as thrilled with the current situation as my dog is.
I'm normally home during the day, so they're quite used to and enjoy having people around. According to the Boss, when I leave the house, Zoë seems not quite herself, spending a lot of time near the front doo waiting for me. My being around is just what the understand normal to be.
Awwww.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
04 May 2020, 2:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 May 2020, 2:33pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Awwww.
All three are really quite social, tho Charlotte less so. If someone comes to the door Luke and/or Zoë will arrive to check them out (humans often come armed with food). They're genuinely friendly weirdos.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Any of you ever have a cat with asthma? Butters seems to have it. All that coughing he did and thought was him clearing away a hairball turned out to be asthma.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 May 2020, 7:35am
Any of you ever have a cat with asthma? Butters seems to have it. All that coughing he did and thought was him clearing away a hairball turned out to be asthma.
Pagan had some respiratory issues, tho it was related (as I recall) to her thyroid. She lived with it for a good six or seven years, but that was eventually what killed her (fluid in the lungs).

Is there treatment for cat asthma?

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 8:26am
Mimi wrote:
Pagan had some respiratory issues, tho it was related (as I recall) to her thyroid. She lived with it for a good six or seven years, but that was eventually what killed her (fluid in the lungs).

Yeah. It's just like treatment in humans. How did you or the vet figure out it was related to her thyroid? Butters has had this inconsistent cough for years, and I don't want to assume the initial diagnosis (made hastily) is the right one. Nothing could be worse for the both of us if I started him on a breathing treatment when it was something else. I'm still doing my research on other ailments that could cause coughing in a cat.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yeah. It's just like treatment in humans.
So, like, an inhaler?
How did you or the vet figure out it was related to her thyroid?
My memory is fuzzy, but she had developed a cough that we thought was from her time sleeping in the basement—she'd found a secure spot high up—and mentioned it to the vet. Somewhere along the line it was determined it was a thyroid issue that we had the option of leaving alone or having her irradiated. And we went with the former because the latter seemed really drastic.
Butters has had this inconsistent cough for years, and I don't want to assume the initial diagnosis (made hastily) is the right one. Nothing could be worse for the both of us if I started him on a breathing treatment when it was something else. I'm still doing my research on other ailments that could cause coughing in a cat.
Zoë coughs every few days. We mentioned it to the vet at the last check-up but she didn't think it was significant unless it was frequent.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:37am
Mimi wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yeah. It's just like treatment in humans.
So, like, an inhaler?
How did you or the vet figure out it was related to her thyroid?
My memory is fuzzy, but she had developed a cough that we thought was from her time sleeping in the basement—she'd found a secure spot high up—and mentioned it to the vet. Somewhere along the line it was determined it was a thyroid issue that we had the option of leaving alone or having her irradiated. And we went with the former because the latter seemed really drastic.
Butters has had this inconsistent cough for years, and I don't want to assume the initial diagnosis (made hastily) is the right one. Nothing could be worse for the both of us if I started him on a breathing treatment when it was something else. I'm still doing my research on other ailments that could cause coughing in a cat.
Zoë coughs every few days. We mentioned it to the vet at the last check-up but she didn't think it was significant unless it was frequent.
It looks like this:
https://icatcare.org/is-your-cat-asthma ... n-inhaler/

Butters got a chest xray last night and it showed, at least I was told it showed, some inflammation.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:51am
It looks like this:

Butters got a chest xray last night and it showed, at least I was told it showed, some inflammation.
Oh, poor kitty! I hope that it's something other than asthma and can be treated quickly. I can only imagine how negative the reaction to having a mask placed over the face.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:59am
Mimi wrote:
20 May 2020, 9:51am
It looks like this:

Oh, poor kitty! I hope that it's something other than asthma and can be treated quickly. I can only imagine how negative the reaction to having a mask placed over the face.
Yeah, I can't see him sitting still for a minute at a time for that.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Poor Butters! Is there any kind of oral meds he can take?

We were finally able to coax our new(ish) hamster, Pencil, out of his cage. He is super sweet and cute!
Attachments
Pencil1.jpg
Pencil1.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Got a Rake? Sure!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
20 May 2020, 1:06pm

We were finally able to coax our new(ish) hamster, Pencil, out of his cage. He is super sweet and cute!
I'm sure. At this point, though, I want to rule out everything else before giving him meds that could do more harm than good.

I love your hamster pics.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
20 May 2020, 1:10pm
JennyB wrote:
20 May 2020, 1:06pm

I'm sure. At this point, though, I want to rule out everything else before giving him meds that could do more harm than good.

I love your hamster pics.
Thanks. I hope Butters is OK.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but to those of you with cats, if you've never fired up a youtube video of birds in the wild eating seed, your cat will be transfixed. Ours occasionally wander behind the tv to get a better perspective. It's hilarious and adorable.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 11:20am
Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but to those of you with cats, if you've never fired up a youtube video of birds in the wild eating seed, your cat will be transfixed. Ours occasionally wander behind the tv to get a better perspective. It's hilarious and adorable.
Mine love them. Good memories of Kitty's last day watching some.